FOB programming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone here happen to live around Orange County California and have access to AE to program a key fob for me? I just picked up my truck a few hours ago from the seller but he only had one key. He gave me a second un-programmed one in the packaging. I'd love to not have to go pay an hour for a job that takes 10 minutes.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck. If you don't find someone willing to lend a favor, call some locksmiths. Just had a fob programmed for 60 bucks. This was on a programmed fob and he cut me a key also. As well, he gave me a new skin with contacts for my old fob, lock button was not working as contact was gone and skin was torn. He actually did not reprogram my programmed fob, but traded for a replacement chip he had. He said he just got the ability to reprogram preprogrammed fobs, just don't think he wanted to mess with it for the first time with me standing around. Point being, you might run in to a brick wall here and a locksmith will more than likely beat the dealer price!

As an fyi to anyone else reading this thread, getting another complete fob could potentially be cheaper through a locksmith rather than ordering a fob and taking it to them for programming. I was in shock off all the Ram fobs this guy had and key fobs for many other vehicles.

OP
OP
Trekker

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck. If you don't find someone willing to lend a favor, call some locksmiths. Just had a fob programmed for 60 bucks. This was on a programmed fob and he cut me a key also. As well, he gave me a new skin with contacts for my old fob, lock button was not working as contact was gone and skin was torn. He actually did not reprogram my programmed fob, but traded for a replacement chip he had. He said he just got the ability to reprogram preprogrammed fobs, just don't think he wanted to mess with it for the first time with me standing around. Point being, you might run in to a brick wall here and a locksmith will more than likely beat the dealer price!

As an fyi to anyone else reading this thread, getting another complete fob could potentially be cheaper through a locksmith rather than ordering a fob and taking it to them for programming. I was in shock off all the Ram fobs this guy had and key fobs for many other vehicles.
The seller actually had a new fob for me in packaging. He lost one and went to get a new one and the dealer actually told him that the truck is remote start equipped but they programmed non-remote start keys when they sold the truck so he got one for remote start. I called a few locksmits but around here they are all 24 hour mobile locksmiths and want more than the dealer to come program it. I'm going to try going to an Ace hardware tomorrow and see if they can do it since I've been told they can.

I want to get AE so I can have it for personal and for work (I'm a ford tech) but the 1200 bucks to support all manufacturers is kind of steep so I'm waiting a bit.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm not sure if anyone with an AutoEngenuity Code tool has ever tried to use it to program a key fob.

We are constantly finding things it messes up/corrupts in the BCM when activating other functions. (I'm in SC)

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

OP
OP
Trekker

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure if anyone with an AutoEngenuity Code tool has ever tried to use it to program a key fob.

We are constantly finding things it messes up/corrupts in the BCM when activating other functions. (I'm in SC)

Well I'd assume a key should be fine considering locksmiths don't buy Dodge software, they have to use something. It should just be telling the computer to go into programming mode. Can't be too different from fords system.

Is there a list of what function are known to corrupt modules? Would be good to know for when I get mine.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The seller actually had a new fob for me in packaging. He lost one and went to get a new one and the dealer actually told him that the truck is remote start equipped but they programmed non-remote start keys when they sold the truck so he got one for remote start. I called a few locksmits but around here they are all 24 hour mobile locksmiths and want more than the dealer to come program it. I'm going to try going to an Ace hardware tomorrow and see if they can do it since I've been told they can.

I want to get AE so I can have it for personal and for work (I'm a ford tech) but the 1200 bucks to support all manufacturers is kind of steep so I'm waiting a bit.

Maybe search for one in the Inland Empire. A little bit of a drive, just do it on the weekend so you don't have to sit on the 91 all day. Lol. Good luck!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well I'd assume a key should be fine considering locksmiths don't buy Dodge software, they have to use something. It should just be telling the computer to go into programming mode. Can't be too different from fords system.

Is there a list of what function are known to corrupt modules? Would be good to know for when I get mine.
Not really a list, but here's the thread about it...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1285930

So far making the following BCM Settings/changes are an issue:

- setting HVAC to Single Zone ATC (corrupts Vehicle brand, attempts to reset back to Ram corrupts left hand drive to right hand. Req's dealer stock flash). Vehicle brand issue send to have no affect on driveability as long as you don't try to set it back with the AE.

- Vehicle Theft Alarm (disables UGDO/ Homelink, messes with approach lighting percentage)

- Can't see/access some sections on My14 trucks, ie Compass/ EOM (Electronic overhead module)

- might be others

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
You need the security pin for your vin number to reprogram the RF hub with new keys. Dont think the AE can reprogram keys either.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

I don’t think the locksmith does any actual programming to the truck. I think they actually “clone” your existing key so that the truck “sees” them both as the same key

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trekker

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think the locksmith does any actual programming to the truck. I think they actually “clone” your existing key so that the truck “sees” them both as the same key

Oh. That would make sense I guess. I actually ended up getting it done at a dealer. They quoted me 85 bucks but I stopped by the larger dealer around here on the way. The larger dealer wanted 160 bucks to program it! 1 full hour of labor! I didn't even try to argue it was so ridiculous. As a ford tech I get paid .3 of an hour to program a key that has already been cut.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They plug into the port and program the fob, In 10 minutes the locksmith cut me a key, programmed a fob and replaced the skin on my old fob. He made 60 bucks, minus key and skin materials he gave me, probably made 50 bucks or more, roughly $300 an hour. Stealership makes about $600 or more per hour to pay their high end Harvard/Yale techs they hired. Lol...

OP
OP
Trekker

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They plug into the port and program the fob, In 10 minutes the locksmith cut me a key, programmed a fob and replaced the skin on my old fob. He made 60 bucks, minus key and skin materials he gave me, probably made 50 bucks or more, roughly $300 an hour. Stealership makes about $600 or more per hour to pay their high end Harvard/Yale techs they hired. Lol...

Hey when people are stupid enough to pay 80k to go to UTI for 17 months.... Lucky I bailed on that idea as now I get paid to get certifications

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

I stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Does anyone here happen to live around Orange County California and have access to AE to program a key fob for me? I just picked up my truck a few hours ago from the seller but he only had one key. He gave me a second un-programmed one in the packaging. I'd love to not have to go pay an hour for a job that takes 10 minutes.
i am thinking of buying the programer Dodge gets $48 with tax if no problems