Key fob.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up a new to me 17 ram rebel. I am needing a spare key fob. Is this a dealer programming only or is there a sequence?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Congrats on your truck!

I would recommend getting AlphaOBD app for your phone and a OBDLink MX+ bluetooth dongle to connect to the truck OBD2 port in order to add your own key FOB. Search for AlphaOBD on this site and there are tons of things you can learn to do to both diagnose and update/change once you have this tool in hand, and add your own FOB(s) as soon as you get this tool setup.

FOB wise, I would just buy one off of Amazon that matches/works for your truck and use the above to add it to your truck. You can certainly find a locksmith local to you that will sell and add a FOB for you, not just a dealer thing. You'll spend close to the same either way you go. I have like others here AlphaOBD and is one of my go to tools for diagnosis as well as adding key FOB's when I got my new to me truck just over year ago. Read up on AlphaOBD and you'll soon see how powerful it is....which reminds me. Backup your config before you make any changes just in case.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Any other software options rather than AlfaOBD? It doesn’t look like they have an iOS version.

DutchRamRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alfaobd, can run on a pc, windows os.

Or buy a android smartphone. You dont need a sim card.
Created a gmail email adress.
And buy Alfaobd, in the playstore.

Alfaobd, can do much more, then keyprogramming. It is worth investing in.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up a new to me 17 ram rebel. I am needing a spare key fob. Is this a dealer programming only or is there a sequence?

I’d have a locksmith or the dealer program a second one - and not bother with the software issues that you may create if you do something wrong (and the money you’ll spend buying the items to program one key fob).

Rook45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to the dealer on Monday to inquire about a fob it $500+ after programming. I bought Alfaobd and an Amazon fob. After about 5 mins you’re good to go. You can also program your lights incase you plan on upgrading those too.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Alfaobd, can run on a pc, windows os.

Or buy a android smartphone. You dont need a sim card.
Created a gmail email adress.
And buy Alfaobd, in the playstore.

Alfaobd, can do much more, then keyprogramming. It is worth investing in.
I took an old Andriod tablet I had from moving to another newer one, wiped it to factory and only use in garage now for car diagnosis and Alphaobd work. Is only wireless and does exactly what I need easily.

Agree on worth investing in Alphaobd, lots of uses overall for me.

If you go with used Ebay FOB's for the OEM case look, make sure you see the listing you buy from say it's unlocked already. Which means it's been wiped from being matched to previous car and is ready to pair again to another vehicle. Otherwise you can't pair it to yours before it is wiped by someone with the tool to do it with-not Alphaobd, it requires physical contact on circuit board inside the FOB to "unlock" the FOB. Amazon as mentioned in this thread also sells new aftermarket FOB's that work as well if you choose to go that route.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Dealer here wanted $225. I really wish AlphaOBD had an iOS version
To me Alphaobd is worth it to get a Samsung small inexpensive tablet for it (as well as other apps out there for vehicle diagnosis). Even at around $80-$100 for a Samsung Tab 8" screen new from Amazon or similar it's a great tool to load other things on that are car specific. Once I starting using my tablet and an old windows laptop in my garage, things got so much easier.

For me looking up instantly info on what I'm working on, sourcing parts, pulling specs, etc made things so much faster - in addition to troubleshooting with various apps out there with it. Sure you have your cell, but when you get it all setup it's just one of those - 'right tool for the job' type setup things. At least for me it was.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alfa isn’t a resource hog like iOS apps. My neighbor uses an old Samsung phone for Alfa. He got it on FB marketplace for $20. I use the cheapest Amazon fire tablet I could find for Alfa. Yes it still has the 30 seconds of adds when it’s powered up and the pixels are as big as my fingertips but for us average joes we use Alfa a few times per year. Get a cheap Android and go with AlfaOBD. It saves you money over time.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Interesting. What kind of stuff are you guys doing with AlfaOBD? I’m not a tuner or anything crazy. Is there a thread with instructions on how to do this? Really paranoid I’ll mess something up, kind of like when I used to mess with the bios on my desktop.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I used for trouble codes and fog lights to stay on when using high beam on headlights.

Search for alphaobd, there's a thread out there on how to setup, etc.

Always backup config before changes, then you can go back.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
Any other software options rather than AlfaOBD? It doesn’t look like they have an iOS version.
JScan. Runs on IOS and does just about everything Alfa does and some things Alfa can't do. I have both, and JScan was the only one that could pull the security PIN from the BCM and program keys on my '24 2500.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Looks pretty easy to use. Has anyone else use this or AlfaOBD with the security bypass cable?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank