Just Installed Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i decided to pull my rear seats out to start making plans for my rear seat mod for my new stereo. As long as the seats were out i decided to finally hook up the backup camera that i purchased a while ago. When i installed my head unit back in February i ran the video cable to the rear of the cab already. I purchased the Audiovox CMOS2 for $60. IMG_0603.jpg
Started by pulling back the carpet under the passenger side rear seat and drilling a hole through a plastic grommet in the floor and feeding the cable through. I put some flex loom over the wire and ran it through the frame to the rear of the truck. Glad i had a fish tape lying around the garage.IMG_0588.jpgIMG_0591.jpg
Spliced the power and ground wire into the trailer plug wiring and ran that to the grommet going through the bed of the truck. Hooked the positive to the reverse wire and the ground to the ground wire.IMG_0602.jpgIMG_0592.jpgIMG_0593.jpg
I drilled a hole through the tailgate handle in the factory location just big enough for the camera to fit in. This camera fits great and looks factory.IMG_0589.jpgIMG_0590.jpgIMG_0595.jpgIMG_0594.jpg
Zip tied the wires out of the way and finished up with the adjusting of the camera to make sure the picture was straight.IMG_0598.jpgIMG_0599.jpg

DISCLAIMER : No children were injured during the testing of this product.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Excellent job, that looks like a pretty involved project (at least for someone who's as bad at technical stuff as me). Hope it works well! I love the backup camera that came with my uconnect system

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I need one of these........sometime soon.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need one of these........sometime soon.

What I need is a friggin front camera. I have the rear one, but I swear when parking I always think I'm about to touch whatever is in front of me and end up like two feet away when I get out and look.

Ray

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
What I need is a friggin front camera. I have the rear one, but I swear when parking I always think I'm about to touch whatever is in front of me and end up like two feet away when I get out and look.

Ray

I know right..lol

Will this Camera work with the REN factory HU?

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what the factory head unit has for a hookup. This camera has a video output (rca) and a positive and negative wire.

CaptNkllm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What size hole did you drill for the lock in the tailgate?

Thanks

Capt

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it says to make a 15/16 hole for the camera. I just kept making the hole bigger till the camera fit. I didn't have a big enough drill bit but managed to make it work with a little patience and a steady hand. I used a Irwin unibit to make the hole.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats the ****...nice.....I ordered a backup camera from amazon that goes on the licence plate. I wonder how that angle will look but I like how u have pics on where u ran the cables. Nice and clean look man.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Awesome! One of the main reasons I popped for the back-up camera on my new RAM was to facilitate the single person retrieval of trailers. There's nothing better!

OP
OP
G_Altima

G_Altima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not remember the colors off hand. I used the trailer plug on my truck and it has a diagram like the one below on it. I just spliced into the corresponding wires. The middle wire was the positive reverse wire and the one below that to the left is the negative. You can also ground the camera to some bare metal in the tailgate instead of running the negative wire.

20130507_194246.jpg

Last edited:

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, thank you, I didn't even notice that! I found a Chrysler website, that I was able to plug in my VIN and it gave me detailed diagrams for ALL the wires in the electrical system, but this is probably gonna be easier.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone consider running dedicated power and relay for one of these instead of, or in addition to, the reverse light power? Is there any reason to want to turn this on if not actually in reverse?

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an aftermarket head unit and installed a camera just like this except i ran a wire along with the RCA video cable and hooked it up to the purple (its been a while thats just a guess) so it comes on when the truck goes in reverse and switches the display to the camera. i didn't like the idea of the camera being on when the truck was on figured it would last longer only running when the truck is in reverse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca