License plate light out message - LED related

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Post #45 I listed the lights I use. All plug and play with no errors. There are some other bulbs from other members also on this thread listed below.

LED Lights Question - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums
Thanks! Very helpful. That answers a lot of questions. If I understand correctly, I need resistors for the tails, but not the fronts.

I didn't pay attention. If I get a chance when the rain stops I'll try to check it out.
Cool, thanks! I've already got the 13-LED version of those CW9s, so I don't wanna waste 'em if they'll fit. (Plus, brighter doesn't hurt either.)

Thanks, y'all!

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One for sure way to tell is just try to pop them in there.
Easy to take the third brake off, just two Phillips head screws.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
One for sure way to tell is just try to pop them in there.
Easy to take the third brake off, just two Phillips head screws.
True enough, I guess I'm just trying to get in some scouting by those who have been there. :)

Can you confirm that I need resistors on the taillights but not the front marker/turns? That's what that manual excerpt from the other thread seems to say.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I glanced at the cargo light earlier and it looks like there should be room for a bulb that's about 1/4" longer.
No promises though. Lol

Cool. Worth giving it a shot then. Thanks for taking a look!

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
UPDATE: They fit perfectly with plenty of room to spare, and they look great.

Thanks for your help! I just ordered my third brake light, dome light, and license plate lights. They should be here in a couple days. :)

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up buying these since they were less lumens than other set. Installed today and still have the light out error message..?
Unfortunately I don't have an answer. I don't get any messages on my 7" cluster EVIC. I wonder if there is different wiring in your 2014 vs. my 2013.

Last edited:
OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the CAN-BUS bulbs I linked.

Kind of what I'm thinking as well. I used can-bus LED's for my reverse lights and I'm getting an error message for those though also...?

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With my premium cluster on my 2014 it shows lamp out errors when it didn't with the stock one. So I changed them out for these and it works like a charm!

All these will work perfect without any lamp out issues:

Map Lights - https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/

Dome Light - https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...78-led-can-bus-bulb--1-led-festoon/1264/2937/

Third Brake Lights - https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-bulb-13-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1129/2682/

License Plate Lights - https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bus-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1127/

Tried the 13 SMD canbus LED's for reverse lights but still got a lamp out, did try replacing one with a halogen and left the other with a LED without a lamp out. So I am guessing the resistor on them is not quite enough. Will need to use a 50 W 6 ohm resistor or resistors to fix it. Will note that the output was not enough anyway...

Thanks for the info. Mine has the premium cluster as well, so that must be the issue.

So for the reverse lights, aside from installing a resistor, there is no way to make them work? What about a brighter (higher draw) LED?

What about using the CREE bulbs from Retro-Solutions? Any idea if those give an error message on the reverse bulbs?

OP
OP
riored4v

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm.. ok. That's a bummer. Sounds like I'll have to go back to the stock bulbs then. The error message is a little annoying.