Non UConnect RAM to UConnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indiana_pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2015 a week ago. It came with the standard radio (RA1 I believe), no remote start ect..

I have been looking to upgrade to a RA3 8.4 from oemautopartsco.com
I have been receiving conflicting responses from them about the uconnect.

Will any of the uconnect features work at all? (remote lock, start, ect..) I imagine at the very least I would need a cell antenna for that to work??

Has any one else on here went from a RA1 to a RA3 8.4" system? What features didn't work or why do you not like it?

I have always installed a aftermarket stereo such as Pioneer but I really like the look of the 8.4 radio.

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just finished swapping my ra1 to ra3 about 2 hours ago. there is a dyi post with about 400 pages so there is a lot of info about this. I can't help you with remote start and other options but im sure someone can. good luck

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2015 a week ago. It came with the standard radio (RA1 I believe), no remote start ect..

I have been looking to upgrade to a RA3 8.4 from oemautopartsco.com
I have been receiving conflicting responses from them about the uconnect.

Will any of the uconnect features work at all? (remote lock, start, ect..) I imagine at the very least I would need a cell antenna for that to work??

Has any one else on here went from a RA1 to a RA3 8.4" system? What features didn't work or why do you not like it?

I have always installed a aftermarket stereo such as Pioneer but I really like the look of the 8.4 radio.

You cannot subscribe to Uconnect if your truck did not come with an RA3 or RA4 radio from the factory. Your truck can still have remote start but you will need the key fob to operate it. You will have no access with your phone and the Uconnect Aps will not work in most cases. For some reason the Voice Texting usually works which you are supposed to have the subscription for and it us one if the things most people want. I would recommend trying to find an RA3 on Cae
Car-Part.com or ebay. You can find it much cheaper there than OEM Auto. Make sure the radio is out of a Ram or a Cherokee and it's a VP3 NA if you want the upgraded radio with Nav it's a VP4 NA. If you read the write-up in it on the 4th Gen DIY you will see that you can actually install the radio and build an adapter harness to use the factory bezel which is much nicer than the bezel OEM offers.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
8.4 conversion
Add backup camera
Steering wheel audio and VR buttons
Swap to Ra2+ mirror with mics
Mirror harness

DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

- RA2 style Manual Dim Mirror w/mics: - 68102484AA (Recommended)
. . . (Man. Mirror Mount Covers if Needed: Upper - 1ZA38DX9AA and Lower - 1YW11DX9AA )

- Mirror Header harness (Standard): - 68207372AB

- VR/Phone Button (for steering wheel) - 56054449AA

DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

2013-2016 VR/Phone button Assy (56054449AA)
$40

Other things you might like...
Installing OEM Backup Cam
Pay attention to the links in post 10

Sent from my non-flammable Galaxy S7!

OP
OP
I

indiana_pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read that but my question is.. will the u connect remote features work? I'm being told it won't work because it didn't originally come with it and the u connect folks won't activate a plan on it.. another question.. is there a u connect module like the older Rams or is it all built into the radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

indiana_pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot subscribe to Uconnect if your truck did not come with an RA3 or RA4 radio from the factory. Your truck can still have remote start but you will need the key fob to operate it. You will have no access with your phone and the Uconnect Aps will not work in most cases. For some reason the Voice Texting usually works which you are supposed to have the subscription for and it us one if the things most people want. I would recommend trying to find an RA3 on Cae

Car-Part.com or ebay. You can find it much cheaper there than OEM Auto. Make sure the radio is out of a Ram or a Cherokee and it's a VP3 NA if you want the upgraded radio with Nav it's a VP4 NA. If you read the write-up in it on the 4th Gen DIY you will see that you can actually install the radio and build an adapter harness to use the factory bezel which is much nicer than the bezel OEM offers.

Thanks! Sucks we can't get u connect to work!

OP
OP
I

indiana_pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I buy from car part or eBay do I have to worry about the Theft Code thing? What causes that?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get the theft code from the dealer if you have the Vin# of the vehicle it came out of. If you don't have the Vin# you can still get the code from Navrepair.com or several other places. OEM claims that they program the radio to your truck when in actuality all they do is load the latest firmware ( which anyone can do ) and give you the anti theft code. If you look into some of the posts Grim posted you will find a lot of good info there. Tons of us have done this mod to look and operate exactly as factory. My 14 Express came with the RA2 I have installed a 16 RA4 and it works perfectly.

Attachments

• 20161204_153255.jpg
    20161204_153255.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
I

indiana_pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 8.4 radio in now and just went with the OEM parts bezel for. Ow while I build the bezel with the controls... can anyone point me to a post where it shows me how to move the video from my mirror to the 8.4? I have a uconnect microphone mirror ordered too.. will that just plug in somewhere or will I also have to splice?

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Moving camera is easy u can look on passenger side behind ac vent connector for mirror harness is there
You can run three wires over to the radio and pin in the radio plug for camera to show up in radio
I think it's pin 31-33 if I remember right it's in several posts scattered on forums just use correct gauge and pins so they'll snap right in radio plug