Uconnect Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Its finally raining in Southern California and I was looking for something free to do to my beloved Ram. Came across a DIY Uconnect update video on YouTube. It explains the process which is simple and there is also a how to video on Uconnects website. Below is the link to the YouTube video and a link to Uconnect. My Uconnect was updated at the dealer about 7 months ago and when I checked there was a new update today. I performed the update and the stereo has better sound. Apparently there was a update to the EQ settings and connectivity. I verified my settings in the radio stayed the same after the update. Enjoy and I hope this helps some of you out.

Note this applies to all Uconnect 8.4a and 8.4an radios.

Things you will need;
1. your VIN#
2. a computer with connection to the internet
3. 4gb usb drive
4. your ignition key
4. about 30 min to spare.

YouTube Video;
https://youtu.be/7n2kavHJYz8

Uconnect Link;
https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Its finally raining in Southern California and I was looking for something free to do to my beloved Ram. Came across a DIY Uconnect update video on YouTube. It explains the process which is simple and there is also a how to video on Uconnects website. Below is the link to the YouTube video and a link to Uconnect. My Uconnect was updated at the dealer about 7 months ago and when I checked there was a new update today. I performed the update and the stereo has better sound. Apparently there was a update to the EQ settings and connectivity. I verified my settings in the radio stayed the same after the update. Enjoy and I hope this helps some of you out.

Note this applies to all Uconnect 8.4a and 8.4an radios.

Things you will need;
1. your VIN#
2. a computer with connection to the internet
3. 4gb usb drive
4. your ignition key
4. about 30 min to spare.

YouTube Video;
https://youtu.be/7n2kavHJYz8

Uconnect Link;
https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

Good info.- thanks

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting Sir .

FWIW that Web site is good for software updates on the RA1 3.0, RA2 5.0 , RA3 8.4 and the RA4 8.4 " Radios .

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there an update for all 8.4s released this month?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is there an update for all 8.4s released this month?

Not sure, I'm not real savvy on what the radio models are but if you click the link and put in your VIN# Uconnect will confirm if one is available.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just tried it with my vin , my truck originally came with the RA1 3.0 nontouchscreen radio and it says it is available for an update as well ...
I've upgraded to the RA2 5.0, and I'll be installing the RA4 8.4 soon .

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not sure, I'm not real savvy on what the radio models are but if you click the link and put in your VIN# Uconnect will confirm if one is available.
Do you know what the download file was named?

OP
OP
FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for posting Sir .

FWIW that Web site is good for software updates on the RA2 5.0 , RA3 8.4 and the RA4 8.4 " Radios .

Good to know thanks for the info.

Also in playing with the settings on my radio I found that in settings and display there are 2 new options for display. 1 is Blue outlined and 1 is red outlined on the screen (looks to be from the Rebel). Pretty cool for a free upgrade. Sorry about the rotated photos, don't know why that is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3663.jpg
    IMG_3663.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you know what the download file was named?

It will be different for the different model radios.

The file on my USB shows swdl.iso and another file of swdlLog.text

Mine showed this update / Bulletin available;

8.4AN_RA4_15_17_5_MY15
Service Bulletin ID: 8-31-15 & 8-35-15
Release 2015-07-15

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks!

OP
OP
FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just tried it with my vin , my truck originally came with the RA1 3.0 nontouchscreen radio and it says it is available for an update as well ...
I've upgraded to the RA2 5.0, and I'll be installing the RA4 8.4 soon .

So did the update apply to the RA2 5.0 or will it not work on that unit? Sorry like I said I am not sure what the differences are in the model numbers.

For a stock radio the 8.4an is very nice and if you can get your hands on a takeoff it is a great deal. If my truck didn't have the 8.4an head unit I would go with a aftermarket like Alpine only because I want to play movies on the dash for my son from my iPhone. Apple does not support streaming to non-Apple devices. I am trying to figure out how to install a AppleTV module in the dash and have it play movies when the truck is in motion without spending $1000 to do it. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No , I have to use the Vin # from a vehicle that originally left the factory with an RA2 in order to download the proper software update for my radio .
I have the vin # from the doner truck , I got it from the guy when I bought his radio , so no worries there .

As for movie streaming , you can do it , many here have its a simple plug n play inline " T "harness . Just Google Custom Tronix Rax Jailbreak or LockpicairV2

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the Custom Tronix Rax Jailbreak is aprox $400.00 , if I remember correctly it allows you to stream movies and such while driving , turn on backup and or cargo camera (at the 3rd break light ) while driving , has inputs for 5 cameras ie back up , cargo ,front view and turns signals too . The front view comes on @ low speed to facilitate parking with a vehicle in front of you and the turn signal cams are mounted in the side mirrors and are activated automatically when you put on your blinker , it serves as a blind spot camera all cameras are on the radio display .
The Custom Tronix also allows you to mirror your smart phone to the radio screen thus allowing you to use your phones apps via blutooth on the radios display .

I may be getting some features mixed up between the Custom Tronix Rax Jailbreak and the Lockpick Air ? , I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if that's so .
I have everything for my RA4 8.4 Radio upgrade and I plan on doing a Jailbreak when I do . So if you do this PLEASE post your results here , I'd like to know the outcome.
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh , and one more thing . I wouldn't mention this to your dealer , they will claim it's full of pixie dust and unicorn farts and that this is impossible !
Most dealerships know little about the vehicle systems they sale and service .

And again Welcome to the forum Sir , good luck moding your truck !

Last edited:

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
No , I have to use the Vin # from a vehicle that originally left the factory with an RA2 in order to download the proper software update for my radio .
I have the vin # from the doner truck , I got it from the guy when I bought his radio , so no worries there .

As for movie streaming , you can do it , many here have its a simple plug n play inline " T "harness . Just Google Custom Tronix Rax Jailbreak or LockpicairV2

Have you (or anyone) applied the update to your RA2 that you got out of another vehicle? When I upgraded from the RA1 to the RA2 it didn't ask for a security code. I'm wondering if upgrading would kick up the security code or not. Since the updates require a VIN to get and that VIN wouldn't match the truck that the Radio is in.

Has anyone done this?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you (or anyone) applied the update to your RA2 that you got out of another vehicle? When I upgraded from the RA1 to the RA2 it didn't ask for a security code. I'm wondering if upgrading would kick up the security code or not. Since the updates require a VIN to get and that VIN wouldn't match the truck that the Radio is in.

Has anyone done this?
You can download the update using the VIN of the vehicle your radio cane out of. It shouldn't lock the radio but if it did it can always be unlocked with a 4 digit security code.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I changed the radio in my truck from 5.0 to 8.4an.

My truck vin is working, but the vin of the truck radio doesn't work ( it worked before ) It said I entered a not valid vin.

Is it possible that uconnect disabled the vin of a totalled truck ? It was working before, and I don't made any mistake in the vin.

That's strange !

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I changed the radio in my truck from 5.0 to 8.4an.

My truck vin is working, but the vin of the truck radio doesn't work ( it worked before ) It said I entered a not valid vin.

Is it possible that uconnect disabled the vin of a totalled truck ? It was working before, and I don't made any mistake in the vin.

That's strange !
I had that problem before. Use internet explorer and it should work.