What I learned replacing my speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami Son

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just tore open my truck to put in a set of Kicker 6X9s in the doors and 3.5s in the dash. Some observations:
1. The connector for the dash speakers is different from those for the door speakers. If you order the connector pigtails thinking they are all the same you will be disappointed. I removed the ones from the stock speakers and soldered them to the new speakers. Cutting and splicing is not an option given the tight quarters. The door speakers have the correct connectors.
2. Dodge engineers should be shot. There's no excuse for not making the door openings big enough to fit a standard aftermarket 6X9 with a 20 oz. magnet. Not only did the fronts hit the window rail, but the speaker opening on all the doors was too small. I had to heat the plastic on the rears to stretch them so the Kickers would sit flush in the hole and I had to cut some of the webbing out of the window rail mounting. The rail itself is not an issue, thankfully. On the fronts I had to use 1/2" spacers because I did not want to chop up the window rail.
3. The stock speakers are crap. Paper cones, no midrange or tweeters, small magnets and all made in Mexico.
4. New speakers really opened up the sound. I can actually hear something coming from the dash speakers now. The door speakers have some clarity and brightness and the rears now have some presence. So much so I was able to turn down the mids and highs from the 4 and 7 (respectively) that I had them at on the EQ to an acceptable 1 and 3. Much more natural sounding.
5. Removing/reinstalling the door panels on my 2012 is way, way easier than it was on my 2000 Ram.

Overall, I am very happy with the sound quality and with knowing that the speakers in the doors are much more durable than that paper crap they replaced. I don't need a subwoofer, so this was a pretty cheap and relatively easy mod.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the write up! Do you think there's a round speaker like a 6 1/2" that would work better in the doors instead of the 6x9's?

OP
OP
Miami Son

Miami Son

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have any part numbers?

All the speakers are from the DS line of Kicker. Not quite as good as the KS line, but a lot cheaper. I paid about $150 shipped for all 6 speakers from Amazon. The wiring connectors to match the truck were another $6 a set and worth it. Just don't order 3 sets like I did since the dash connectors are different from the doors.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have the Kicker KS693 in my door, small fitment issue, nothing major, but huge upgrade. Glad you like them!

OP
OP
Miami Son

Miami Son

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just came back from a visit to the audio shop and discovered that Kicker are the oddballs. The Dodge speaker openings fit most aftermarket speakers, but Kicker makes their frames a slightly different size. Damn them!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I just came back from a visit to the audio shop and discovered that Kicker are the oddballs. The Dodge speaker openings fit most aftermarket speakers, but Kicker makes their frames a slightly different size. Damn them!

sorry :) Bigger basket.....

Bog8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put the Polk Audio 6x9s and 6.5s in my 2008 and had minimal fitment issues. Definitely better than stock.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the Bostons or Focals...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'll be keeping this in mind when I go to change my speakers as I plan on getting KS 693's. How do you get to the dash speakers by the way? I do plan on swapping those out also.

get in front corner, and use small pick to gently pry up factory grill.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
great info

jacsyl94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
my next set of modifications upon my return from a 90 day deployment...and a level.. Thanks for the information...

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll be keeping this in mind when I go to change my speakers as I plan on getting KS 693's. How do you get to the dash speakers by the way? I do plan on swapping those out also.

Just use a pick or small flat head to pry up the plate and have alot of patience because you dont have alot of room or wire to work with.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
All the speakers are from the DS line of Kicker. Not quite as good as the KS line, but a lot cheaper. I paid about $150 shipped for all 6 speakers from Amazon. The wiring connectors to match the truck were another $6 a set and worth it. Just don't order 3 sets like I did since the dash connectors are different from the doors.

I got all the k/s ones for the doors and d/s for the dash (buddy works at fries electronics lol )

belive the dash are ds 35 and the 6x9 are ks 693

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I got all the k/s ones for the doors and d/s for the dash (buddy works at fries electronics lol )

belive the dash are ds 35 and the 6x9 are ks 693

yes, DS35 and I agree, KS69 or KS693 for door.
I know Fry's Electronics, there's alot fo them! Thats for sure.