Wireless Phone Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hdmi 5.7
With the announcement of the new Iphone 8,X with wireless charging. Has anyone implemented a nice Qi wireless charging solution to their 4Gen?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nope. Personally, I think it's pretty pointless since it still needs to be plugged in if you want to access the music (or in my case, CarPlay).

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Personally, I think it's pretty pointless since it still needs to be plugged in if you want to access the music (or in my case, CarPlay).

Alpine just release a wireless car play radio. Technology is there im sure more will come up with it now also.

on a side note scoshe has a phone holder that has the wireless charging built into it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have to take your phone out of your pocket/holster to charge it, what is the real advantage of not plugging it in? Maybe a cleaner look?

I currently do not see a major advantage of wireless CarPlay as most of the time I drive, I leave the maps up. Because of this I already have to take my phone out, so I can just plug it in and get to my destination with more juice.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just don't get the current wireless charging. If I can have my phone within 6 feet and it charges - that is how it should be. Now my phone is more contained than before, just without a cord.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bought a Galaxy Note 8 last week and its really sweet. It has the wireless charging. I bought two wireless charging stands off of Amazon and they work great. Really not sure that I would need one for the Ram...If they made something (say some type of pad) that I could put in the bottom of the outer center console...fine. I just keep a USB-C cord in my truck in case I need to charge my phone in there.

I find the idea of wireless charging nice...but I don't need it all the time. Having to plug in my phone once in awhile is not that big of a deal.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I havent finished mine yet but Im using the cell phone mount that uses the business card holder. Use can get a 1 amp qi charger pad for the price around 8 bucks. I plan to separate it from its mount and epoxy onto that mount. Then the cord behind the unit and install a new USB power jack under the phone holder where the space is useless anyways. I get all my audio thorugh bluetooth as my truck is too old for android auto. I dont have an iphone now, but my last 4 android phones have had wireless charging. About time Apple figured it out.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I havent finished mine yet but Im using the cell phone mount that uses the business card holder. Use can get a 1 amp qi charger pad for the price around 8 bucks. I plan to separate it from its mount and epoxy onto that mount. Then the cord behind the unit and install a new USB power jack under the phone holder where the space is useless anyways. I get all my audio thorugh bluetooth as my truck is too old for android auto. I dont have an iphone now, but my last 4 android phones have had wireless charging. About time Apple figured it out.

Your truck isn't too old for Android Auto, just your radio is. [emoji6]

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wireless charging is nice for less wear on your charging port but many phones that have it have way more problems with their port in the first place. I am looking at you Samsung. Often times people would come in and couldn't charge their phone with cord. Would find out both the port and the wireless charging no longer worked. It is cool but it would seem majority of people don't care. I have seen thousands of issues with phones and the lightning charger is amazingly dependable even though many of the cords are not. I have a an 09 Ram so I use my iPhone corded to play music and things through my radio as mine doesn't have Bluetooth for music only for phone calls.