Key hole issue, video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The key module behind the dash is failing. When I call dealers to get a cost on fixing, they tell me I'm mistaken, that there is a different issue. And to bring the truck in.

So I took truck in to a dealer. He looked at, and confirmed what I already knew.

He gave me a cost of ~$600 to $800 to fix. Thats for a new key module, a new key (or two) and labor.

Has anyone had this issue, and if so is there a cheaper solution? I was thinking I can get a remote start kit on eBay for ~$100.

Video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V0sq59-JIU

The key is soo sensitive, that if I hit a small bump, it will shut off the truck. I have another video, where I just blow on the key, and engine shuts off.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm lookin at the pics in your signature,,, Please define 'small bump',,, :roflsquared:

Hahaha,

In all seriousness, if you just put a remote start on it, you'll still need the key in the on position to drive, so you'll have the same issue. UNLESS you bypass the ignition entirely some way.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks. Let me guess, but the parts, fix it yourself, and your still sol cause it all needs programming.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Sbarron said, even with a remote start kit, you will still need the key in. That is just to start it. And it would not be an easy task to bypass the ignition due to the immobilizer. What are the specs on the truck? That doesn't look like the 2004 in your sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DaKing

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That sucks. Let me guess, but the parts, fix it yourself, and your still sol cause it all needs programming.

I guess that would be the most cost effective solution. dealer said they would program, ~$95hr. I just have to find a working key module. Anyone know the technical name for it? I opened the dash, its just a little black box with some wire connectors.

The truck with the problem is my 2011 HD RAM, should have said that earlier.

Thanks

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is called the WCM, wireless control module. You could save a few bucks by getting the parts, installing yourself, and then just leave the dash apart and leave the old one hanging and plugged in. Have the dealer plug it in and program. They shouldn't charge you any more than the regular fee to program a key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DaKing

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks man. I found some stuff on eBay, searching by "WCM, wireless control module"

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
and in a 2011, I imagine this was caused by having 70 pounds of keys on your ring??? You or prior owner. If you, lighten it up.. ;)

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and in a 2011, I imagine this was caused by having 70 pounds of keys on your ring??? You or prior owner. If you, lighten it up.. ;)

That was the issue with my my buddy's Jeep Commander. He only had 5 or 6 keys on the ring and had to replace his ignition switch. Dealer said it was because the ring was too heavy.

OP
OP
DaKing

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Actually, I've learned years back not to have a heavy car start key. :)

I keep 2 sets of keys. One set for each of my rides (8 or 10 rides, in 2 fleets, one fleet North NM, and the other fleet is South NM), it is just the key, and alarm remote. I then have a second set of keys for everything else. Each person or family member has one full set of house, misc keys. They then pull the automotive key at the door during exiting of house.

As a Tech, I also keep a USB thumb drive on the automotive keys I use. That way, I can't leave a thumb-drive at a job site.

I did buy the truck used, and it was fine for years. But I'm thinking the last owner had heavy keys, and the wore-out dat slot. Feeling like I got sloppy seconds.. :( (and on that note, I know my key is NORMAL in size, I've seen other keys :) )