Front bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Firestone told me my front bearings are going. They're not terrible, but I should monitor it.
With that, they quoted $1200 for parts and labor, but is that reasonable? I've looked around and it seems the parts are not that expensive, unless I'm looking at the wrong item.
Is this easily done by an amateur such as myself? And is Firestones price reasonable?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Are you 4WD? I would recommend replacing the entire hub assembly, you can get them each under $250. I have found Firestone to be pretty high on their prices as well.

Last edited:

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
seems a little high. Be careful about bearings. I replaced a Dakota's front wheel brgs with some Dorman front bearings because they were almost half the price of Mopar, and one of them a year later has enough runout, it made us think the rotor was warped.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I replaced both of my front assemblies in a 4wd truck this past winter. Provided they are not corroded all to heck and locked onto the steering knuckle, it is a doable job. going out on a limb, do you have a 2500? I can only speak of the 1500 with 4wd. be prepared to seperate the top ball joint to get the axel and CV out before you can get to the bolts on the back of the hub assembly. axel has locking rings and can be difficult to pop at first. you may wish to get new ones while you are in there. hit me up if you need any more information.

OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the info guys. That makes me feel better about Firestones competency because they recommended the hub assembly as I have a 2500 diesel with 4wd.
Anyone have a part number for an inexpensive hub assembly? I'll probably end up buying the assemblies and having them install them.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mbreezy, I put in a Moog hub that I bought off Amazon $150 for the first one (i replaced before it cratered). the second one unfortunately Crated on me while driving home so I had to get towed home and then had to get one that next morning from the parts store. it was a Precision $250! The moog was just as nice as the precision and Neither have given me any issues. as for directly linking you, I would need to dig around amazon. Search Results for hub assembly - 1A Auto for the Timken at $250

Here is a Moog on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Moog-515122-W...469&sr=8-1&keywords=Bearing+Hub+2012+RAM+2500

*** read the review on the amazon one about the Studs. It may be a slightly different part # so google around to several online parts houses which should get you the proper cross over #'s. If your vehicle has NOT been exposed to alot of salt form northern roads, the job could be very doable to the mechanically enclined. you would need the big socket though for the axel nut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well gents, I have been lazy with getting around to this (life, school, job, cross-country move, etc) but now I'm revisiting this.

Here's what I'm looking at.

Moog 515122 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly - http://amzn.to/2aiAO1s
Amazon says this fits my 2012 2500 4WD. On another website (rock auto) they said another part is the correct part (below).

Moog 515148 Premium Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly - http://amzn.to/2arJXKA
Amazon says this does not fit my truck.

Which one is the correct one?

OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone have an idea of which is the correct hub assembly?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
amazon isnt an auto parts site. they aren't always right. rock auto is correct. if you need to verify check moogs site. with that said, i wouldnt buy moog bearings. timken only.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Back when I owned a 2nd Gen Ram, and many guys were changing gear ratios, Timken bearings were the only bearing that seemed to last. +1 for Timken.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
when I used to set up ring and pinions, I preferred Timken over all other brands, too.

OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
As far as replacing the hub bearings, It been a couple of years since I replaced them on the front driving axle of my 01Ram 3500 4WD, so forgive me if I have forgotten some things, because I've slept since then. But I remember getting the old brgs out of the knuckle was kind of a *****. I had to buy longer sacrificial bolts to screw into the brg assembly, and beating the bejeezuz out of them to walk the brgs out of the bore. The rest of the repairs were pretty straightforward.

OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dang it, anyone able to find a part number for the Timken hub assembly? All I can find is RWD but I'm sure they have 4WD as well.

OP
OP
M

mbreezy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Okay, I'm starting to think the 4WD does not exist lol - every single site is just RWD - ugh!