Limited Slip Differential Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrJekyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just bought a early 2003 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the old 5.9. The equipment identification sheet in the glove box says "Anti-Spin Differe", so I assumed at purchase it is factory equipped with LSD.

I am currently going through and changing all the fluids. Looking at the service manual the rear axle requires a limited slip additive if equipped with the Trac-Lok differential, but does not require the additive if equipped with the Trac-Rite differential. Which LSD do I have?

I tried searching previous posts but was unable to find this information. Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere.

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

DrJekyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nobody knows the answer to this?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The additive will not hurt a non-LSD axle. Just buy gear oil already with the additive, and you will be good. A lot of gear oils already have the additive in them.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just use royal purple in it. Already has the additive in it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have trac-loc. If it calls for the additive put it in.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have trac-loc. If it calls for the additive put it in.

One can actually put in too much additive in a clutch driven LS, so to the OP, read the label of the gear oil and see if it already has the additive in it.

Too much additive, the clutches will slip (making it act almost open), too little, and they wont slip (prematurely wear out).

OP
OP
D

DrJekyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thank you everyone for the replies. Will be using the additive, but will pay attention that the correct amount is added.