It will void your warranty if your dealer installs a Mopar limited slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I recently purchased a used 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 from the same dealer I have purchased two other new Jeeps (‘17 Rubincon Unlimited, ‘21 Gladiator Rubicon diesel) from in the last six years. This truck had only 1200 miles on it when I bought it and was like new, except for some small dings in the paint (another story, for another post.) I had planned to just buy a new 2023 or order a 2024, but when my dealer asked me to consider a low mileage truck with everything I wanted, I agreed. The truck I bought had everything I wanted except limited-slip. When I asked about having it installed, the salesperson told me that it would void the entire warranty on the vehicle, including the original warranty and extended Certified Used Car warranty that also came with it. When I mentioned the SEMA law (Magnusson-Moss Act) they just ignored me. I talked to the parts department, same story. If I bought a new Mopar limited-slip differential and had the dealer install it, it would void all warranties on the entire car. When I pressed him about the MMA, he said it would just void the warranty on the entire rear end. Per recommendations I received on this web site I contacted RAM Care and received a case number. After an email or two, some long waits on hold, and three different RC folks, I was told that any modification to a vehicle from its’ original state of manufacture, even if it was a part or accessory that could have been ordered as an option, would void the warranty. Period. Even if it was a genuine Mopar part installed by a RAM dealer.

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I’ve spent about $200,000 on new Stellantis vehicles in the last six years. Overall, I’ve been pretty satisfied with my local dealer. But I’m not someone who knows nothing about cars, accessories, and warranties. I’m a former professional mechanic, and I’ve worked in a dealership. At one time I was certified to teach auto repair in the state of Arizona. At one time I was the fleet manager for a large public utilitY. I have a home shop equipped with more tools than some garages. I’m retired and enjoying the luxury of new vehicles with warranties and spending my spare time restoring my classic cars and motorcycles. I simply cannot understand why I can’t pay my local dealer to install a factory part that could have been ordered on the truck originally. The service department is willing to do it if RAM care will approve It.

The bottom line is that RAM Care… doesn’t.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I understand your frustration but you're mad at the wrong people. RamCares doesn't make those decisions. All they do is act as an intermediary the vehicle owner and the people who do make those decisions. I will say that dealing with warranties sucks, especially extended warranties. And I don't make any modifications which will void them while they are in effect. About all I do is upgrade wheels/tires and maybe add something like a dash cam or radar detector until after a warranty expires.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
They are wrong. If you buy a factory part and have it installed by factory-certified mechanics (e.g. the dealership) then it is covered under Chrysler's warranties (basic and extended). Even if they are claiming that there it is not covered they should have a warranty for their work so that's already suspicious.

Some were going the factory 2" lift route when the 5th gen first came out because it was warrantied.

Your basic warranty specifically states that using non-FCA parts or parts not certified for your truck will void your warranty. The limited slip meets both of those requirements:

1691435629458.png

My MaxCare ESP says that anything not authorized by FCA is not covered but that any FCA mechanical or accessory part installed by an authorized dealer is covered.

The intent is obvious that as long as it is approved for the truck and installed by a dealer then it's covered (if it's in the dealer's parts system for your truck and it is installed by the dealer's service department). Some will split hairs to avoid any possible responsibility or chance of non-reimbursement from FCA.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My best day with my ram was when the warranty expired !!!! No more concerns if I will be covered for something I may have changed . I never let it dictate what I wanted installed or modified anyhow . It became mine when I signed 180 times at the dealer . Warranties hold folks hostage , then do not honor what’s in them when the owner has problems. Only cause lots of stress and wasted time.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Brian 42, thanks for your response and post. You stated that “your MaxCare ESP says that anything not not authorized by FCA is not covered but that any FCA mechanical or accessory part installed by an authorized dealer is covered.” I’m not sure what MaxCare ESP stands for (extended service program?) but that’s what I’m looking for. Your attachments were both the same. Did you mean to post two different pages? If so, I’d like to have the other page, especially if it contains the statement you made on what it says is covered. Where did you find this? Is it something I can download online?

Again, thanks for your response. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently purchased a used 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 from the same dealer I have purchased two other new Jeeps (‘17 Rubincon Unlimited, ‘21 Gladiator Rubicon diesel) from in the last six years. This truck had only 1200 miles on it when I bought it and was like new, except for some small dings in the paint (another story, for another post.) I had planned to just buy a new 2023 or order a 2024, but when my dealer asked me to consider a low mileage truck with everything I wanted, I agreed. The truck I bought had everything I wanted except limited-slip. When I asked about having it installed, the salesperson told me that it would void the entire warranty on the vehicle, including the original warranty and extended Certified Used Car warranty that also came with it. When I mentioned the SEMA law (Magnusson-Moss Act) they just ignored me. I talked to the parts department, same story. If I bought a new Mopar limited-slip differential and had the dealer install it, it would void all warranties on the entire car. When I pressed him about the MMA, he said it would just void the warranty on the entire rear end. Per recommendations I received on this web site I contacted RAM Care and received a case number. After an email or two, some long waits on hold, and three different RC folks, I was told that any modification to a vehicle from its’ original state of manufacture, even if it was a part or accessory that could have been ordered as an option, would void the warranty. Period. Even if it was a genuine Mopar part installed by a RAM dealer.

Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I’ve spent about $200,000 on new Stellantis vehicles in the last six years. Overall, I’ve been pretty satisfied with my local dealer. But I’m not someone who knows nothing about cars, accessories, and warranties. I’m a former professional mechanic, and I’ve worked in a dealership. At one time I was certified to teach auto repair in the state of Arizona. At one time I was the fleet manager for a large public utilitY. I have a home shop equipped with more tools than some garages. I’m retired and enjoying the luxury of new vehicles with warranties and spending my spare time restoring my classic cars and motorcycles. I simply cannot understand why I can’t pay my local dealer to install a factory part that could have been ordered on the truck originally. The service department is willing to do it if RAM care will approve It.

The bottom line is that RAM Care… doesn’t.
I just have to ask where in AZ? Both of Swanty's and Anderson in Mohave County told me the same story. Swanty in Kingman told me $3300 + to swap from 3.21 to 3.55 gears in a 2wd 1500, Anderson wouldn't even do it and I bought the truck brand new from them. Joke is at the time a complete rear axle with LSD was less than $2k.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Most CDJR dealers have Wranglers on the lot with Mopar lift kits installed. There is no way they are selling them without a warranty. I call BS.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Brian 42, thanks for your response and post. You stated that “your MaxCare ESP says that anything not not authorized by FCA is not covered but that any FCA mechanical or accessory part installed by an authorized dealer is covered.” I’m not sure what MaxCare ESP stands for (extended service program?) but that’s what I’m looking for. Your attachments were both the same. Did you mean to post two different pages? If so, I’d like to have the other page, especially if it contains the statement you made on what it says is covered. Where did you find this? Is it something I can download online?

Again, thanks for your response. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

He is not correct, and reading it wrong. That is for "Warranty" work. This isn't warranty work. It's you wanting to change the options after the fact. When you bought the truck, the warranty is with those parts.
So technically the Dealer is correct but also wrong.

If you change the part, the whole warranty isn't void. That is were MMA would cover you. But warranty and/or extended warranty on the part you changed is not. It's gone, because you changed the part to something else. If you put same part from either manufacture or 3rd part that was equal. Then MMA would cover you.
You are not requesting "warranty" on defective part. You want to change it, no matter if manufacture made/sold or dealer is installing it or not, warranty on the part is void.

Warranty is void for that part you changed. Now You should get new warranty on that part from Manufacture or dealer, but old one is voided(not the whole warranty)
Now if something happens after you make the change. They could claim part changed, if it was their part or not, broken something else. They would then denied your claim. You would have to prove otherwise, not them.
You would have sue either dealer and/or manufacture to prove either dealer installed poorly or part had no cause or effect.

Many dealers won't do work like the above because if something going bad, there isn't enough profit for potential loss, and/or warranty issues.

Option you could do is call whoever extended warranty is with. say Mopar. and Request Part change. They would likely add a charge.
As long as it's new factory part, installed by authorized dealer, it wouldn't effect your extended warranty. RamCares has nothing to do with what you are trying to do.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I finally talked to someone in Mopar Customer Service and she said the the part should be covered under Mopar’s replacement part warranty which would also cover the labor to replace a defective part. Not the same as the OEM warranty on the original part, but better than nothing. There should be no effect on the rest of the rear end, i.e., the axle bearings, pinion bearing, gears, etc., unless the installation caused them to be damaged. We’ll see. I agree that my dealer probably just doesn’t want to be bothered with this, but that seems in direct conflict with their willingness to install factory lift kits, which are quite labor intensive. This is a pretty simple swap. I know because I’ve done it on other rear ends. I sent a pdf. copy of the Mopar Basic Limited Warranty to my dealer along with the details of my conversation with Customer Service. We’ll see what they say. In the meantime I’ve contacted two other dealers and requested an estimate to do what I want. I may just keep trying until I get a positive response.

One final note. I contacted RAM Cares at the suggestion of others on this forum. Even though this is my third Stellantis vehicle, this is the first time I’ve had to deal with a problem like this. Sometimes you have to know the right question to get the right answer. At least now I know what not to call RAM Cares about.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a concern, what electrically needs to be done to swap your rear end is traction control affected, I know that Anti-Spin differential is different from a Limited slip differential, also is the gear ratio the same with the Diff you want installed, because the front diff gear ratio need to be the same.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity what is your reason for wanted to change to the limited slip differential? I live in New England and winters can be brutal. When I had my 11 ram it did not have limited slip but I got around just fine in the snow in 4x4 mode with the stock Goodyear tires. It had traction control but no limited slip. My 21 ram BTS has the e-locker but I haven't even needed to use that yet either.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
The LS differential will have no effect on the gear ratio. It is simply a part you bolt on the ring gear carrier to replace the standard spider gears that come with the stock unit. Anti-spin may be different, I don‘t know. It is possible that AS units have a “pulse wheel” like some anti-lock brake setups, but I don’t. In that case, it could be affected by the stock programming. However, when you select the “information“ icon on the Build and Price pages, you get the same description as a locker. I have been able to get a part number for the OEM limited-slip, so I’m guessing that’s all it is. You do raise a good question. Nothing is as simple as it used to be when computers weren’t involved.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I’ve had limited slip or lockers in all my 4x4’s since 2000. They can really save your bacon when you need them, and if you understand how they work.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had limited slip or lockers in all my 4x4’s since 2000. They can really save your bacon when you need them, and if you understand how they work.
Trust me, I understand completely how they work. I've been a mechanic for 30+ years and as I mentioned I live in New England so I know a little bit about slippery conditions too. If the truck is 2 wheel drive then i understand you want both wheels to function when needed. If the truck is 4x4 i would say its not really needed unless youre looking to get into situations that may require it or youre looking to see 2 black strips on the ground when you do a burnout. Believe me, i dont care what you do with your truck and money. After all you need to do whatever you need to do to make you sleep at night. I was just curious as to why you wanted to go through all the hassles. Good luck though

brian42

Military
Reaction score

ESP is Extended Service Plan. That's what all the "extended warranties" are...even from Mopar. Pricing aside Mopar's is the easiest because all the dealerships are familiar with it, it's attached to your VIN so it shows up in their computers, and they take care of everything (contact for repair, reimbursement, etc.). 3rd party may or may not be cheaper but I only wanted the Mopar one as I take the truck in, they fix it, I pay my deductible, then I take the truck home. No phone calls, who's paying who, etc.

A note of caution: if you are buying your ESP in the financing office at time of vehicle purchase there is a 95% chance you are not being offered a Mopar ESP. Dealerships make w-a-y more money on 3rd party ESPs than Mopar ones (to the tune of thousands of dollars per policy).

Attached is a copy of my Mopar MaxCare ESP.

He is not correct, and reading it wrong.
I agree. I was mixing up accessories with parts changes. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree that my dealer probably just doesn’t want to be bothered with this, but that seems in direct conflict with their willingness to install factory lift kits, which are quite labor intensive.
Those are money-makers for the dealership.

Install a lift kit, roll that into the financing for a huge markup (most only care about what the monthly payment is going to be...not how much the option costs), and they are the only ones will will warranty any issues with it.

Now when you bring your truck in because you thing there's a suspension issue you might as well have the other work done too - oil changes, tire balances, truck warranty work (paid by FCA), etc. Once that owner gets rid of that truck (lease ends or they figure out they can't afford it) then the dealership is off the hook because the suspension warranty is non-transferable, if it hasn't expired already.

It's all about marketing to get you to keep coming back to them - oil changes packages, "free" maintenance for XX years, etc., is all to get you as a repeat customer for recurring income and upsells. Dealerships are a for-profit business...and do very well for a reason.

Attachments

• MOPAR Max Care ESP_Redacted.pdf
    536 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I understand your frustration but you're mad at the wrong people. RamCares doesn't make those decisions. All they do is act as an intermediary the vehicle owner and the people who do make those decisions. I will say that dealing with warranties sucks, especially extended warranties. And I don't make any modifications which will void them while they are in effect. About all I do is upgrade wheels/tires and maybe add something like a dash cam or radar detector until after a warranty expires.
they voided my new 2021 rebel warranty for installing after market wheels even though the same size and same size tires. I had a wheel bearing go bad and took it in for repair and ended up having to pay for these reasons. Dam FICA is a screwed up company. Wished i had not bought the ram and still had my tundra

Buppies

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Interesting story I can share true as well
In the late 70s a man was making a boat cover for me. He had a large shop but worked alone and always talking mostly to himself. He was working on 35 foot Chris Craft Cruiser for a man from Michigan. He was raising Cain to himself about his new Ford F150 that had warranty issues and local dealer would not take care of it since he did not buy it there. They told him to take it back where he bought it. The man from Michigan heard him and said maybe he could help, asked for dealer name went over upholstery work on boat and left. Monday morning dealers owner called and said I don’t know who you know at Ford but I’m in deep trouble we are coming to get your truck leave you a new one to use until yours is fixed. May not be Germaine to this but interesting none the less. I knew the dealer as well hard to deal with. It’s not what you know but who you know

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My best day with my ram was when the warranty expired !!!! No more concerns if I will be covered for something I may have changed . I never let it dictate what I wanted installed or modified anyhow . It became mine when I signed 180 times at the dealer . Warranties hold folks hostage , then do not honor what’s in them when the owner has problems. Only cause lots of stress and wasted time.

I think it's unfair to cast warranties (be they factory or extended) into only a good / bad category. While something like a Carli lift may void certain parts of the warranty, I'm completely comfortable with replacing those on my own anyway.

My prime warranty concern isn't with the suspension bits, or even the drive axles; those are wear parts for those who run the truck off road. Where I'm concerned is with the cam/lifter life and with the many interior features (infotainment, instrument cluster, hvac, cameras, etc.).

The other thing that is often miscalculated is the perception of savings. Many users incorrectly attribute 'savings' to the warranty paying for a $1,500 repair when the extended warranty cost $2,500. Warranties don't pay until they've exceeded the purchase price (plus interest cost if you finance them as part of the purchase).

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Did you not get it sorted before you bought it?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would ask what is the warranty on the new lsd . Once installed. Even if it voids factory rear diff warranty the new carrier should have a warranty . Just texting out loud. I had this done on a New truck 3miles on it. Went back 4-5 times with pinion leaks. Up to a 100k under warranty . Then I took it to a local race shop & had it rebuilt got 200k out of that rebuild. So there’s that to think about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357