Locking differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McTylerMore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2018 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 with the 6.7cummins.

Sooo I’m wanting to up the off road capabilities of my truck. Looking to add a locking diff. Rear diff in mine I believe is the helical anti-spin(LSD). Front is open. My truck is also equipped with the front axle disconnect so the front drive shaft does not spin unless 4x4 is engaged.

I know a Jeep Cherokee guy who runs a front Detroit locking diff. But he also has manual locking hubs. So with hubs unlocked it drives normal on the street. Hubs locked when off road then it’s like a typical Detroit style locker. Could anyone advise me if a similar setup would be possible in my truck? Because it has the axle disconnect for when it’s in 2wd seems like it might be possible to run a front locker like this and still drive normal on road.

Not looking to debate pros/cons of front vs. rear locker.

TIA.

Attachments

• 3D7D4350-1232-49DB-AB63-14E84ECE0B43.jpeg
    3D7D4350-1232-49DB-AB63-14E84ECE0B43.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 6

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Consider using an E-Locker or ARB Locker in the front axle and leave the LSD in the rear for daily drivability.
A truck with a Cummins is sorta limited on it's off-road capability due the almost 1000 extra pounds it puts over the front axle.

OP
OP
M

McTylerMore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Consider using an E-Locker or ARB Locker in the front axle and leave the LSD in the rear for daily drivability.
A truck with a Cummins is sorta limited on it's off-road capability due the almost 1000 extra pounds it puts over the front axle.
I understand there are other alternatives out there as you mentioned. Just curious if the setup I proposed would even work. Would be nice to have a zero maintenance automatic locker.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Torsen helical gear differential is not a limited slip differential.
It is a mechanically locking differential. Google to see how it works.

OP
OP
M

McTylerMore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Torsen helical gear differential is not a limited slip differential.
It is a mechanically locking differential. Google to see how it works

I am well aware how the rear diff works. In my own real world testing though it does not quite lockup as in theory it should.

But that has nothing to do with my question. Do you have any insight on that?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just curious if the setup I proposed would even work. Would be nice to have a zero maintenance automatic locker.
The problem with running a straight locker in the front is then your stuck using it any time you enable 4X4.
At least with an E-Locker you have the option to lock the front when needed. Keep in mind having a locker on either axle can inhibit maneuverability.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I am well aware how the rear diff works. In my own real world testing though it does not quite lockup as in theory it should.

But that has nothing to do with my question. Do you have any insight on that?

No, I'm correcting an error. LSD is limited slip differential. By definition, they have clutch packs. Words matter.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I'm correcting an error. LSD is limited slip differential. By definition, they have clutch packs. Words matter.

LOL.. No

Here’s a link with pictures to help you understand.

OP
OP
M

McTylerMore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sorry dude. There’s a wide variety of limited slip differentials. Again nothing to do with my question however.

Google to see how it works.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
since you here asking ,im thinking you dont know much on the subject.
you would hate yourself every day for the rest of your life with detroit in the front.
torsion will be your best bet

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To be frank, yes it'll work on the front.
Had and older Dodge Power Wagon 2500. Got a complete 3500 4x4 drive train for cheap (xfer case didn't have chain in it, was straight gear drive) and installed it. Rear axle was a limited slip and front axle was a locker with the BIG Warn hub lock knobs on it. Worked awesome when off road / in snow, but hit dry pavement with real good traction and it would rip steering wheel out of your hands in a turn.

OP
OP
M

McTylerMore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To be frank, yes it'll work on the front.
Had and older Dodge Power Wagon 2500. Got a complete 3500 4x4 drive train for cheap (xfer case didn't have chain in it, was straight gear drive) and installed it. Rear axle was a limited slip and front axle was a locker with the BIG Warn hub lock knobs on it. Worked awesome when off road / in snow, but hit dry pavement with real good traction and it would rip steering wheel out of your hands in a turn.
So you had the manual locking hubs?

I’m wondering if it would effectively work the same with the front axle disconnect but w/o manual locking hubs. I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, they were the Warns with the huge knob on them that let you grab with a full fist, not 2 fingers in slots.

Should work the same with the actuated hubs, but if they don't operate properly, it will be an adventure driving on dry pavement. If using with the axle disconnected, via xfer case, will not work, since locked axle will effect steering, drive shaft engaged or not. Has to be at the hubs so wheels can turn a different rates when turning on the hard and dry.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The power wagon e lockers would be a much better bet.

Front lockers really suck in my experience, an old 70's chevrolet with manual hubs. It had super swampers and it was very difficult to drive in four wheel drive. Don't remember it affecting anything in 2 wheel drive.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, they were the Warns with the huge knob on them that let you grab with a full fist, not 2 fingers in slots.

Should work the same with the actuated hubs, but if they don't operate properly, it will be an adventure driving on dry pavement. If using with the axle disconnected, via xfer case, will not work, since locked axle will effect steering, drive shaft engaged or not. Has to be at the hubs so wheels can turn a different rates when turning on the hard and dry.

You’re over thinking it. There’s a tried and true design that has worked for years.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to also say it should work. The only thing to consider ...and I don't know if this pertains to your truck/year, is if the front has an e-locker feature. Basically applying the brakes to the spinning wheel. I just don't know what options they had on 2018 2500's. If it does have that feature (My H3 has that, and some Jeeps have it), then you'd want to disable it. But otherwise, for just a normal setup like you described, it should work.

Happy off-roading!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’re over thinking it. There’s a tried and true design that has worked for years.
Not trying to overthink in terms of type of hub system, just that the locked axle has some caveats if all isn't just right.

Have had the actuators (vacuum operated) go bad and was quite obvious on the first turn on dry pavement.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are plusses and minuses on different locking systems:

Our '03 Overland Grand Cherokee uses bias-sensing (hydraulic) gerotor lockers, rear/center/front. There's no locking during normal driving, and that's nice because it doesn't require any driver input and just 'works'...or is unlocked most of the time. It'll lock up in about 1/8 th of a rotation if one wheel slips. Or it'll have partial locking depending on the amount of slippage. Note: Sometimes on really cold days (+15*F or below) it can start to kick in if ya turn sharp and semi-fast ...when the fluid is cold & thick. I use synthetic fluid too.

The one negative of this system is that you *don't* get any lockage until there's some slippage and by the time it kicks in, depending on the off-road situation, a guy may have lost critical forward momentum in the time it takes to kick in, vs a fully locked or limited slip differential. So then you could find yourself stuck. It all depends on the situation and what's going on with the rear wheels too. This is particularly true in snow. You get to deeper snow and the time it takes to kick in you've lost momentum and you may then be stuck. The other side of the coin too, is if you find yourself in an unplanned low-traction situation (had to swerve off a road to avoid a deer and went into the ditch), you can have locking w/o having to think of air switching (ie air locker). But in rock crawling it might be a good system.

Just some things I've noticed.

Last edited: