Need info to understand Throttle Body adjustments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK so I have looked around googleing the thing and can't find a clean and crisp explanation of what I am looking for.

Should the butterfly in the throttle body be tightly closed when at idle?

If I remove the throttle body and hold a light behind it I can see a tiny shine at both the top and bottom. A few thousands of an inch maybe at most. I was under the impression that the butterfly should be tight shut and that the IAC would take care of the rest.

While I was doing some maintenance on the truck last weekend, I noticed there was a lot of corrosion on the TB adjustment screw. So I took a gentle scuff pad and cleaned up everything. However I still see some light in there and just want to make sure it is expected or do I need to fiddle around with the screw until everything comes to a tight seal allowing the IAc to take care of the idle on its own.

There was about 1/8" of carbon deposits on the IAC and its seat in the TB, which I have gently cleaned out. The truck still runs fine but has the rough idle it has had ever since I bought it a few months ago. I have to hook up my OBDII tool to get a reading on the TPS which I guess would give me my answer right?

Am I making any sense here or just confused and confusing... :insane:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not really sure but at idle if it were tightly shut I would assume it wouldn't be getting air... just a non mechanics thought lol

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would think the IAC (Idle Air Control) would be taking care of that since it has a bypass conduit to the butterfly and it needs to adjust the airflow required to maintain a stable idle. I'm thinking if the TB is not tightly closed, that it may skew the IAC's function. Combined with a possibly defective or inaccurate or plainly screwed-up TPS, that would make the engine go real bad or greatly affect gas mileage which is one of my issues (It is a pig on gas, more so than others with the same engine).

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I cleaned my tb a few weeks ago I remember it not seeming tight but i didn't do a light check so I'm not 100% sure

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
On shut down the throttle body butterfly will be left slightly open. This facilitates a higher idle for cold engine start, and will hold the idle up, even on a restart, until engine stabilizes. If the butterfly tightly closed in the throttle body bore, it could get stuck, preventing proper operation of the throttle, especially for trucks that have throttle-by-wire operation.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank's Harrold, that makes sense.

Do you know how that translates to the TPS reading? My TPS shows a 9.8% open when in the closed position. The service manual only states expected voltage. I'm getting the 9.8% through a Bluetooth OBDII and multiple Android OBD Apps (TorquePro, OBD Car Doctor, Etc.).

Anyone else have similar readings for their 4.7L?
If I'm in the Ball park, I won't be chasing a ghost for nothing.

Thank you everyone for your input.