erratic heat in cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Little engine that can (3.9) lol
heres the proab im having, but first heres what ive done:
coolant flush, heater core flush, new thermostat, properly burped system of air.

before i did this i had no heat in the truck, now i have heat, but only when motor is reved up (like highway driving, or revving in driveway). when the truck idles i slowly loose heat, and defrost blows just cold.

my doors/air flap diverters are working fine, i can hear them going full back and forth.

WTH is going on? its starting to get really cold here now...ugh...:roflsquared:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

coolant flush, heater core flush, new thermostat, properly burped system of air.

before i did this i had no heat in the truck, now i have heat, but only when motor is reved up (like highway driving, or revving in driveway). when the truck idles i slowly loose heat, and defrost blows just cold.

my doors/air flap diverters are working fine, i can hear them going full back and forth.

What temp thermostat did you put back in? Have you replaced the water pump recently?

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
i replaced thermostat with stock OE temp of 195 degress. it runs at normal temp just fine. havent touched the water pump, but i know its pumping, the truck isnt overheating, and no coolant is leaking from the water pump weap hole

Crocdocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Maybe your blower fan is workin intermintAtly, does the A/C blow through the vents all the time?

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
oh yea, itll freeze your *** outa the cab. is there such thing as a heater core getting weak? i get warm air, when i flushed the core nasty **** came out, water flow was good through it, but could there be just too much calcium buildup and crap inside that its just effecting heat transfur?

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Mines opposite. When I'm idling or coasting at a speed I get damn good heat but when I'm accelerating kinda heavily, it switches to defrost.
I know my heater core is bad though. I just deal with the smell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you get heat when it's revved up the core has air in it

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

oh yea, itll freeze your *** outa the cab. is there such thing as a heater core getting weak? i get warm air, when i flushed the core nasty **** came out, water flow was good through it, but could there be just too much calcium buildup and crap inside that its just effecting heat transfur?

It almost sounds like there's still air in system to be honest. That or the water pump may be working, but not pumping hard enough.

Mines opposite. When I'm idling or coasting at a speed I get damn good heat but when I'm accelerating kinda heavily, it switches to defrost.
I know my heater core is bad though. I just deal with the smell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a vacuum line problem, not heat disappearing. My 99 and 96 Ram's did it, along with my 99 Jeep and my buddy's 98 Jeep. My 01 is the first chrysler vehicle I've owned that hasn't done it.

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
how can you tell if the water pump is getting weak? before i spend money on something thats not broke lol. and i burped my cooling system out the propper way, got alot of air bubbles out, waited awhile of no bubbles coming out, so i really dont think there anymore air in system. what are other ways of getting air out?

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I usually put the truck on some kind of incline (jack stands or ramps help immensely) and burp the system that way.

As for checking for a water pump that's weak, here's this.

WATER PUMP FAILURES

Sometimes a water pump will fail internally due to severe corrosion wearing away the impeller blades, or the impeller comes loose on the shaft, or the shaft itself may break from metal fatigue (caused by flexing due to an out-of-balance fan).

Many late model vehicles (Chrysler in particular) have plastic impellers to improve cooling efficiency and to reduce cavitation (drag). But the plastic can wear down quickly if the coolant is dirty and contains abrasives. The pump may not leak, but it may not circulate enough coolant through the engine to keep the engine at normal operating temperature.

One way to test for a bad water pump is to squeeze the upper radiator hose when the engine is hot and idling. Careful, because the hose will be HOT! If you do not feel much coolant circulating through the hose when you rev the engine, the pump may be bad. The other cause might be a bad thermostat that is not opening properly (remove and inspect the thermostat), or a clogged radiator.

Taken from here: Water Pump Diagnosis & Replacement

OP
OP
Khoover1988

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
awsome! thanks for that info! it looks like its the stock water pump, and there not expensive, i might just change it anyways just as maintenance, but i will try that trick.

i had to run some errands tonight, which is the first time drving since i did the flushes, the heater gets good a hot now in town driving or highway driving, its only if your idling/stopped for a bit that it somewhat gets cooler, but no longer cold now. maybe it is the water pump after all...:naughty: