Reflective or Matte finish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm tired of the rust spots on my truck, so i'm going to re-paint the whole thing, bumpers included. I'm curious to see what you guys say about going the factory route of keeping it shiny, or if the sports look good with a matte finish.

I just took some rustoleum matte black spray paint to the fender to get a taste of how it would look, and I just cant decide.

There are too many dents for me to worry about body work.
I am also slightly more attracted to the matte paint, as I wouldn't clear coat it should I go that route, just keep a can of spray paint in the cab for when it gets scratched :roflsquared:

Suggestions? Color change?

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Since no one here has any imagination, I got a couple different colors and test sprayed them on the hood. I get to look like a retard for a few more days before I get around to starting to strip it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pics.

It would be cheaper and probably turn out better if bought a harbor freight HLVP gun, mixed up some matte paint and painted it that way instead of spray cans. Use those for your scratch touch-up idea.

Can get matte finish clear coat too

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Pics.

It would be cheaper and probably turn out better if bought a harbor freight HLVP gun, mixed up some matte paint and painted it that way instead of spray cans. Use those for your scratch touch-up idea.

Can get matte finish clear coat too

I was using the spray cans for testing the different colors. I have a spray gun that will work for what I need.

The pics will have to wait for the time being, the weather hasn't permitted me to work on it this weekend, and work keeps me from stripping it during the week.

It sucks having a garage thats too short.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Dents, uneven bodywork... Matte all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certainly not lacking in dents, especially by the bed.

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The harbor freight gun worked way better than I expected. I got it for $10. I painted my engine bay on my iroc and it turned out pretty good and I'm not very good with a paint gun yet.

But if you don't care about show finish or anything close to it, I'd go matte especially if you have a ton of dents.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Try John Deere Blitz Black to see how you like it. It's made for exterior surfaces, you can use hardener to improve the durability (although it does add a minor amount of gloss) and it's cheap.

John Deere Blitz Black Paint - TY25631

Looks like this with hardener added.
P1000413-4.jpg

54K010.jpg

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Try John Deere Blitz Black to see how you like it. It's made for exterior surfaces, you can use hardener to improve the durability (although it does add a minor amount of gloss) and it's cheap.

John Deere Blitz Black Paint - TY25631

Looks like this with hardener added.
P1000413-4.jpg

54K010.jpg

I actually kind of like that, its got just enough shine to it to catch my eye. In the end, I have to like my truck, and I really am drawn to that look. Thanks for sharing that with me.