1500 Running rough after new plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
My 1998 RAM 1500 5.9l is running rough after I replaced the plugs. I thought it needed some TLC and replaced plugs. The wires (probably original) pulled the connectors out. So, I replaced wires also.

NOW, the truck runs worse than ever. Seems to be misfiring and Check Engine Light is blinking.

SOOO..I replaced all the plugs with Autolite double platinum. Runs a little beter but she still runs rough.

I 'm thinking bad set of wires.

The truck was running okay until I decided to fix it.

Any ideas where to go here?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What code are you getting?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check your firing order on your plug wires. I'd put money on the problem being that you have 2 of them reversed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need to have the codes checked. Does your 98 have the turn key on and off x3 to pull codes?

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ran the 5.9 engine in a few different autos, and I have found that Champion plugs are your best bet. And check your firing order to make sure there is not two wires in the wrong location in the distributor cap.
And check the distributor shaft bearing to see if you can move the rotor around. I had a 440 that was running rough and I had a worn bearing in the distributor. I replaced the whole unit, and the Cuda ran great after that.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Ram Night is right you don't need fancy plugs for the 5.9 Champions are the ones and start checking your wires you may have on crossed.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Those double platinum plugs are your problem. Platinum has less conductivity than copper but is much more durable against heat. As a result, they last longer but require more power in order to reliably fire. As such, platinum and especially iridium plugs require a hot ignition coil to work.

Our ignition coils are relatively "cold." As a result, platinum-coated firing tips won't fire very well, if at all. Bare copper firing tips should only be used with OEM-spec coil. Many, many people have tried platinum plugs in the Magnum engine because the parts store guys says they're better (but never actually gives any reason), and then wonder why the engine runs like crap with new plugs.

Champions have always worked well for me. I'm currently using NGK with a slightly cooler heat range at the suggestion of my tuner. People have also had luck with Autolite 3923.

Also, blinking CEL means you've got a very bad misfire. A cylinder isn't just misfiring occasionally, it's misfiring almost every cycle. This results in a lot of raw gas going through the exhaust which will almost certainly combust upon reaching the catalytic converter, which will quickly destroy it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dropped 3923s here. Runs great.

Route your wires per the TSB on ignition wire crosstalk, and ditch the double-platinum plugs.