Stuttering, lagging, rough operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7L
Hello. I've got a 2016 dodge ram 1500 with a 3.6L VVT engine with 177k km and I've recently had a weird issue with it. Its only happened twice but its been severe both times. When I start up the truck and let it idle to warm up ill notice it idles rough, there's a vibration that's much worse than normal. When I try to drive it it doesn't improve, it runs rough, doesen't backfire but runs rough and doesn't have a lot of power. It only happens rarely and in the mornings when its around 10-16 degrees C, not in the afternoon when its 20 degrees+. I didn't drive it very long both times it occurred. (maybe a minute) but then if I stop and turn the truck off then back on again (without letting it sit off for very long, maybe 5 sec) the issue will suddenly go away, I've got two codes from it: P0300 and P0175, I've checked my intake charge temp sensor if its dirty/damaged its ok, spark plugs are NGK iridium tipped and are only 10,000km old. I am going to check the MAP sensor, check my throttle body for contamination and test the o2 sensors, I've had issues with the o2 sensors in the past, when it was -20 C and colder they would throw a code then when it warmed up outside then they wouldn't, I didn't bother looking into it at the time but I'm suspicious of the O2 sensors on the drivers side of the engine is bad. I have also read up it could be the EGR or PCV valve's but given that the issue goes away when I cycle the key I believe its with a sensor rather than a mechanical issue like a exhaust leak, vaccum leak or valve failing but I'm not too sure. I get good quality fuel so that's not a issue, when its running fine its got all the power it should, air filter is only 2 weeks old, engine oil is a bit high but only by maybe 0.5L, should drain some out too. When I replaced the spark plugs I also borescoped each cylinder and every one is perfect condition, I can still see the crosshatch marks clearly so I know its not like my engine is blown up but I am wondering if anyone's ever delt with this kind of issue and if anyone has some advice I will definitely try it!
Thanks!