2001 Ram slow to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram SLT Laramie, 5.2l and am having some apparent fuel issues. About a month ago, it broke down. Just wouldn't crank up after slowly deteriorating performance. It got slow to crank and got progressively worse. I could smell gas during the months of gradual deterioration. Along with cranking up slowly, it was losing power. I said to myself, "Self, you gots a fuel pump bout to go out." Fast-forward to the breakdown. I got it towed home and disconnected the fuel line at the pump and jumpered the relay to check the spray and it was erratic and choppy. I ordered the new pump and when it came in, I installed it. For 8 glorious days, it ran like a brand new truck. THEN, it started getting slow to crank again and I smelled gas again. Biggest difference this time is it drinks gas like its Dr Pepper. I checked the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve and the time it took my wife to switch the key, before she even took her hand off the key, it was showing 50 psi. It has no check engine light on and I can't see any gas leaking from the connections at the pump or around any of the fuel rails. What other possibilities can I be looking at?