Slow to start cranks just fine. 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TEC Tactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday got in the truck after sitting all night, turn the key fired right up drove 10 minutes down the road to the store. When I went to get it started again it cranked over for a good 3 seconds before it fired up. Drove back home parked it for about another 2 hours, went to start it up again and it did the same thing turns over just fine the battery is good just took a second to start. Not sure if something got stuck in a check valve somewhere? I do have the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, if it keeps up I'll give it to the dealer. Tried looking here but keyword slow gave me about 52 pages to go through.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possible fuel pump ? The most common cause of the fuel system not holding pressure up to the injectors is the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump has a check valve built into it that is supposed to keep pressure to the injection system when you shut down and vehicle sits. If the pressure drops then the pump has to prime the system to bring the pressure high enough to start and run the engine. I found an easy way to check this is to turn the key on, let the fuel prime, turn the key to off, and report. When the you hear the fuel primed the 2nd time, start it up. If it starts fine then, it could be the fuel pump is not holding its prime.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is possible as is the tipm fuel relay. When you turn to on but don't start it can you hear the fuel pump turn on? If it is turning in it is likely you lost prime. If not, the relay is a likely culprit.