Electric fans.. kit or DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Looking into doing an electric fan conversion. I like the FF dynamics kit at $275, but their kit looks like something i could piece together myself for half the price.. anyone on here run E-fans? i know its fairly simple to do. You just have to run the correct wiring which is pretty plug and play.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
they told me I need the extreme one for my v10.. $475

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of people use the Ford Tarus fans. Not sure why but I have seen people with all kinds of vehicles use them including these trucks. I don't exactly know why they are such a popular choice but I'm guessing it's a combination of how many were made and the size of it.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Looking into doing an electric fan conversion. I like the FF dynamics kit at $275, but their kit looks like something i could piece together myself for half the price.. anyone on here run E-fans? i know its fairly simple to do. You just have to run the correct wiring which is pretty plug and play.

FFD makes some of the best quality fans out there. For $275 its a fair price compared to piecing together your own setup.

Lots of people use the Ford Tarus fans. Not sure why but I have seen people with all kinds of vehicles use them including these trucks. I don't exactly know why they are such a popular choice but I'm guessing it's a combination of how many were made and the size of it.

They move a lot of air and are cheap at junkyards that's it. Downside they draw a **** ton of amps. 60A+ on startup and 30A+ fullspeed.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I accidentally won a Chevy HHR fan on an eBay auction for $45. Big enough that the Dakota guys like em

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Here's what I was told by them regarding my 98 Ram 2500 v10 4x4 Fullsize with plow and tow. Seems like a lot of money to me lol
Hi Joe,

For your application, you would need our Stage 5. This system comes with 2 Extreme HD High output fans, 2 hand formed, hand tig welded aluminum shrouds and 2 completely separate extreme fan control units, 1 for each fan assembly. Aluminized coated blades for high under the hood temperatures to deflect heat and hold shape. All relays, fuses, wiring, mounting kits etc.

Basically your truck will run 2 completely individual fan systems that you will be able to control with 2 different controllers. It is the only system on the market like it and it will allow you to set 2 different temperatures and allow the fans to be completely independent of each other, giving you complete control and allowing each fan to have its own power supply, its own relay assembly and to run at its own set temperature. For example, this gives you the ability to set the first fan system at 200 degrees and then set the second fan system to come on at 220 degrees. What this does for you is it will allow your truck to be cooled down by 1 fan system as your daily driver, and then only when your engine needs the second larger fan to turn on, it will. We call this our Smart System.

Price is $450 with free shipping and all custom shroud systems take approx 3-5 days to build and then ship out after order is placed.

If this is something you are interested in or have any questions let us know. Here is the link: Dodge Ram 2500 Extreme Stage 5 | FF Dynamics

Thanks!
FFD

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Does that come with a shroud?

IrocRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's actually not that bad of a price especially if it's being custom built for you. The ones I have been seeing are around that or more and will need some modification to mount it because they aren't vehicle specific.

I figured they had some great functionality about them.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
My a/c doesn't work so I'm going to rip that all out when I have time and ask them if I still need the same stage 5 setup... The stage 4 is a 50 less I think. I just don't want huge shrouds. I want it clean as possible.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I will be ordering the FF dynamics kit.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Does it come with shroud to mount fans

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in favor of diy, I like ff dynamics but I also stay broke so that discourages the bunch of money at one time thing lol. I think it would be pretty simple to fab up a shroud if you wanted one.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I'm in favor of diy, I like ff dynamics but I also stay broke so that discourages the bunch of money at one time thing lol. I think it would be pretty simple to fab up a shroud if you wanted one.

TCP is the only one that makes shrouds. Wouldn't touch their kit regardless.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Im buying two 14in fans that both push like 3000cfm per fan and ill buy a good controller for em

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No. Just the fasteners you pop through the radiator

I did this once and after a couple of years they wore through the cooling fins of the radiator. I figured it was because I do lots of off-roading and the constant vibration sped the proccess along.