Engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8 360
So back in March I bought a 95 1500 with the 360. It's been fun I've done a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer but I'm bored I want to go fast. The 360 has no balls anymore so I though I might buy a 360 block and start ground up with all new performance parts. Has any one done this if so what kind of hp and torque are you getting.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So back in March I bought a 95 1500 with the 360. It's been fun I've done a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer but I'm bored I want to go fast. The 360 has no balls anymore so I though I might buy a 360 block and start ground up with all new performance parts. Has any one done this if so what kind of hp and torque are you getting.

Lots of people have, it comes down to how much do you want to spend? The faster you want to go the more it costs.

And that throttle body spacer is useless on these engines, you'll get the same performance using it as a paperweight on your desk.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Build it for boost and turbo it.

Also, hope you have a good paying job and no life because you gotta pay to play.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Your problem with a 95 for one is going to be your archaic version of our archaic efi. You'll want to swap in a 96 or 97 cluster, engine harness, and pcm and tune the trans out with custom sct tuning that comes with performance

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Depending on the mileage of your engine, you'll probably be better off with a few bolt ons.
1. Plenum fix and tune up with copper plugs
2. Ditch the spacer
3. Shorty headers and full free flow 2.5" single exhaust or 2" true dual
4. 1.7 Roller Rockers
5. 52mm tb
6. Mopar Performance pcm if you can find one.

This list alone will make your truck much more fun to drive

goodtodoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 indy pace truck
Engine
As stated above, the Mopar pcm. I bought one 15 years ago, best bang for the buck. Premium fuel tho.

Attachments

• 1408229832639.jpg
    1408229832639.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 26

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, how fast do you want to go?

Let's be honest, if you want a hot rod, a truck platform can be, but isn't really the best route to go. Of course, that mainly depends on whether or not you want your truck to still be a "truck"...

Me personally, I have accepted the fact that my 4x4 Ram is never going to be "fast" but that doesn't mean that I can't make it relatively quick. I've been talking with a certain individual down in Texas and we'll see how quick a mostly factory-spec 5.9 Magnum can be...

I regularly use my truck as a truck and performance-wise, I will be happy once the "death flash" is finally gone since that (and the plenum leak) are the primary performance killers of these engines.

But if you really want to go fast, then as Dodge Dude said, you gotta pay to play. Me, I'm not a forced induction guy, so I'd say build a 91 burning 408 stroker. A handy 400 horsepower while still being easy to work on/with.

And as others have said, dump the spacer. Spacers help with more complete atomization of gasoline in carbureted applications within the manifold but do absolutely nothing in our fuel-injected engines where the fuel is added to the incoming air right at the intake port. Certain spacers are said to create a nifty "whooshing" sound under throttle, so if that's your thing then it's no harm.

Last edited: