Motor Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey everyone, just have a quick question for the experianced wrench turners. I have a 1995 ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 in it. I also have a 2001 durango with the 360 as well. I want to pull the 5.9 out of the durango and build it to put in the 95 ram. Is the ram obdI and the durango obdII? Is this going to cause me issues when I attempt to drop the motor in, or is it a direct replacement? Thanks ahead for the info, I just dont want to waste the time and effort if its going to be a hassle, Ill just build the motor thats in the ram and drive the durango.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ram will be OBDI and the 'rango is OBDII.

Not a real issue, it will just take more time to swap stuff off of the Ram's engine onto the 'rango's engine.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you will most likely just have to use the intake/injectors and sensors off the 95 just because around 98 they changed pretty much all the connectors on the sensors and injectors and around 96 they stopped making intakes with 2 temp sensor holes which your truck would most like still require.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ahhh okay yeah I see what your saying. I will most likely purchase a new intake/injectors anyway, so I suppose when I order them I will order for the 95 5.9 and not the 01 5.9

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Unless you have a serious crunch for time, just swap the 95 intake on the the new engine.
Not that hard when you have both out and about.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Both trucks are just projects. Both running and in good shape but not my DD. I do drive the ram alot more than the rango, and the rango has about 20k less miles. So I was just going to take the motor out of the rango and build it so that I can still drive the ram. So as far as anything needed on the rango 360 to fit up with the 95, I guess I need to order parts for a 95. Im going to do it right as I can, so it will start life with new intake/injectors/heads/cam/pistons/rods... well, you guys get it lol.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Where abouts are you located Dodge_Dude_94? Im in Lufkin, you know of any reputable shops in our neck of the woods for building the engine or getting parts/labor through?

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the only parts that need to be ordered as 95 parts are the electronics(sensors ect). Heads and Cam should be ordered for the motor they're going in.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
heads should be the same either way. the cam has to be computer friendly since you can't get a tuner for a 95.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Where abouts are you located Dodge_Dude_94? Im in Lufkin, you know of any reputable shops in our neck of the woods for building the engine or getting parts/labor through?

I live in Tyler.

Only shops I know of are here in town, Engines Express for stock rebuilds and T & K Performance in Flint for go fast.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Okay thanks guys. Thats what I needed to know. Basically the heads can be ordered for whichever engine, but the sensors and intake need to be for the 95 to be more user friendly. Cam for the 95 as well since its OBD1. Cool beans.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Start looking for one of these Mopar part number P5249546 Engine Controller, aftermarket intakes are limited to the Mopar M1 and the Hughes F1, neither are cheap. Keep the cam under .480 and you can stay with the stock valve springs.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Start looking for one of these Mopar part number P5249546 Engine Controller, aftermarket intakes are limited to the Mopar M1 and the Hughes F1, neither are cheap. Keep the cam under .480 and you can stay with the stock valve springs.

Found the ECU on ebay, theres a few of them. Why exactly do I need this? The Mopar M1 can be picked up for 323 on ebay, not too bad. As far as the intake is it woth the $$ Vs just modding my kegger? I have two since I have the durango's 5.9. Thanks for the tip on the cam, I would have eventually gotten around to asking about that anyway lol

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^Nope, unless you're carbing the truck that intake WILL NOT WORK.

That's why it's cheap. It's for an LA block, number one, number two it's for carb. Not EFI.

OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
^Nope, unless you're carbing the truck that intake WILL NOT WORK.

That's why it's cheap. It's for an LA block, number one, number two it's for carb. Not EFI.

Ahhh ****.... Yeah thats what I get for not reading the info correctly...
No I have zero intentions of going carbed. Still curious why the ECU was recommended however....

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ahhh ****.... Yeah thats what I get for not reading the info correctly...
No I have zero intentions of going carbed. Still curious why the ECU was recommended however....

The Mopar Performance PCM accepts mods rather well, as Merc has experienced with his. Much more so than the stock PCM.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think Merc mentioned it because it is a high performance computer which should help you get a more bit out of what you are building. i think they would even help wake a stock engine up a bit.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
OK update on the availability on the Mopar M1 intake, I just spoke with Dodge and they now have the M1 back in stock, Michigan has 35 in stock of each intake non egr and egr. This is great news as I was not sure they were going to make any more as this summer they were on back-order.

As DD94 and CW have posted the Mopar pcm takes to mods very well. Even if you get a cam that is called comp friendly the stock pcm will not be taking full advantage of that cam and the other mods. You're only other choice is B&G send your pcm out they program it and send it back to you, this must be done with every mod you make to the truck and gets costly fast.

I have had the Mopar performance pcm since day one and can't say enough about it, for our years of trucks it's the balls man. After 97 then its tuner time. 96 pcm's are half obd1 and half obd2 you have an OBD1 pcm that can't be tuned via a hand held tuner.

Yes it is even a big improvement over the stock pcm just by itself. I had the performance pcm long before I built my first motor for this truck and all I can say is best $485 I ever spent back then.

Do you have an EGR valve on your truck or not?

These are some part numbers for the Mopar M1 intake.

P5007852 M1 intake, 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, without EGR 1997-02 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold. $486.50

P5007398AB 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, w/EGR port 1992-96 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold. $575.00

P5007638 Magnum intake manifold installation kit $69.95

P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts (5.2L/5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engine $7.75

Edit: If you have plans to use 1.7 rr's this must be taken into account when picking your cam, going 1.7 will actually hurt your cam choices big time unless you go to bigger valve springs. What heads are you getting and valve springs?

You will or should be looking at getting a wide band 02 gauge so you can see what your fuel trim is at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Txdrewski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Oh wow man thanks for all the info. Thats going to save me some time and $$$. Do you have a # or email to a place I can order the M1 From? I have the EGR type intake. I was looking into running Harland Sharp 1.7 RR, but I was honestly just looking at a set of these from Titan Engines New Dodge Chrysler Jeep Magnum 5 9 360 Loaded Cylinder Heads | eBay

Thicker casting and complete heads, shipped for 560 seems to me thats a pretty good deal. Not sure now, you guys think 1.7 RR and an aftermarket set of heads is worth all the extra $$?

Ive already ordered a wide band 02 guage so I have that covered. Ordering the ECU tonight since I know id kick myself for not having one after I got everything together lol. Any reccomendation on a place to get the cam?