rear differential help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoots

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Engine
v8 5.2
Hey guys i have a 97 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 and my rear differential gave out and ate its case on the way out so now im stuck with getting a whole new rear differential. Whats my best options looking to fix this. The truck is lifted 6-9 inches not 100% sure but its also on 35" tires and there wide tires and 15.5" rims if im not mistaken. also i bought it used so not sure if my rear differential has been re geared will know tonight finish taking it apart. My question lies with what to do...

1) buy another 3.55 rear differential (this is what the Vin said i had)
2) go to pick a part and buy the housing and then buy all upgraded gears?
a) if i do this whats the best gearing to fit its need? 3.9, 4.10?

i know ill need to match the front and etc.. but whats the best deal to give my truck what it needs. purely a daily driver, small off road dirt roads and small stuff.. don't like to break something that's not set up for off road. I do pull a mobile kitchen some times nothing huge and a small trailer like 1/2 every other month or so if that. So any help in getting this done would be great.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
If it were me, I would go to the pick a part, then upgrade the front and rear with matching gears. As far as what gear ratio....... well, that all depends on what you want to do with the truck. 4.10 or 4.56's. I would not go back to the 3.55

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Agree to change gears can't pull well with 3.55's

$miley

OP
OP
H

Hoots

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Engine
v8 5.2
This is a picture of my truck sitting on the street not like it helps the question but so you can see the tires and lift to make sure where all on the same page.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 156