superchips programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Hey everyone, So i just ordered a Superchips 3842 programmer for my 01 magnum 5.9 and currently I am getting 11.02 MPG combined. What has everyone's experience been with the programmer using an economy tune? BTW i do not have the deathtune from dodge, so i'm sure i wont see the GIANT power gain that most do lol.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You do have the Deathflash as you have a 2001, it's inherent in the 00/01 trucks, so yeah, you'll see a decent increase. You're probably better off with one of the 87 tunes since I've heard of guys actually LOSING mileage with the Eco tune because these trucks weigh so much.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
You do have the Deathflash as you have a 2001, it's inherent in the 00/01 trucks, so yeah, you'll see a decent increase. You're probably better off with one of the 87 tunes since I've heard of guys actually LOSING mileage with the Eco tune because these trucks weigh so much.

geez if i have the deathtune it's gonna fly in a few days lol. the truck stock pulls harder than my old 5.0 mustang from a stand still XD

sucks i have it :( i thought they only had it if you had the little sticker for the factory calibration.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
geez if i have the deathtune it's gonna fly in a few days lol. the truck stock pulls harder than my old 5.0 mustang from a stand still XD

sucks i have it :( i thought they only had it if you had the little sticker for the factory calibration.

Pulls harder because the 360 has a load of torque at low RPMs unlike the 5.0 'Stangs. These trucks get winded in stock form when you take them above 3700rpm, power peak is gone and the intake has run out of air.

lol Yep. I don't have it and my truck is a dog though, so the way they handle depends on the truck.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Pulls harder because the 360 has a load of torque at low RPMs unlike the 5.0 'Stangs. These trucks get winded in stock form when you take them above 3700rpm, power peak is gone and the intake has run out of air.

lol Yep. I don't have it and my truck is a dog though, so the way they handle depends on the truck.

my truck doesn't even do 4k once in second gear. once i get to that point, it backfires through the intake and god only knows what else. i'm so stumped on it. runs great, no codes, no misfiring, just if you floor it on the highway, it gets to 4k rpmsish around 65-75 mph and all hell breaks loose.

go easy on it, i can get it to 90-95 by easing up the throttle. i don't think it's the cat converter, as i have excellent flow coming from both of my tailpipes.

new TPS, new IAC, new cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires, i'm stumped

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
my truck doesn't even do 4k once in second gear. once i get to that point, it backfires through the intake and god only knows what else. i'm so stumped on it. runs great, no codes, no misfiring, just if you floor it on the highway, it gets to 4k rpmsish around 65-75 mph and all hell breaks loose.

go easy on it, i can get it to 90-95 by easing up the throttle. i don't think it's the cat converter, as i have excellent flow coming from both of my tailpipes.

new TPS, new IAC, new cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires, i'm stumped

New O2 sensors or MAP? Both of those play equal parts in the A/F ratio and in the case of the O2s they are what makes your PCM switch to open loop fueling while WOT.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
New O2 sensors or MAP? Both of those play equal parts in the A/F ratio and in the case of the O2s they are what makes your PCM switch to open loop fueling while WOT.

i HAVE a new map sensor somewhere, brand new delphi product.... but due to my moving, it has lost itself amongst the clutter.... i was planning on replacing that along with the 02 sensors.

i didn't know it switched to open loop at WOT

i'll have to data log it and see if it switches over.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i HAVE a new map sensor somewhere, brand new delphi product.... but due to my moving, it has lost itself amongst the clutter.... i was planning on replacing that along with the 02 sensors.

i didn't know it switched to open loop at WOT

i'll have to data log it and see if it switches over.

Whoops. Shoulda kept it in the truck. :D

Yep, switches over to open loop at WOT and I think the A/F stock is like 13.7:1 or something like that. If that, might even be leaner. A lean mix might explain the backfiring through the intake.

Which, by the way, never let your right ear point toward the intake at any time if it backfires. I learned that the hard way on the 76. lol :hands:

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Whoops. Shoulda kept it in the truck. :D

Yep, switches over to open look at WOT and I think the A/F stock is like 13.7:1 or something like that. If that, might even be leaner. A lean mix might explain the backfiring through the intake.

Which, by the way, never let your right ear point toward the intake at any time if it backfires. I learned that the hard way on the 76. lol :hands:

i started thinking my plenum was leaking, so i just went out and tested by putting my thumbs over the pcv hole and the breather hold on the pass. side... engine built pressure which is a good sign.

heard if it pulled vacuum its a 100% plenum failure

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i started thinking my plenum was leaking, so i just went out and tested by putting my thumbs over the pcv hole and the breather hold on the pass. side... engine built pressure which is a good sign.

heard if it pulled vacuum its a 100% plenum failure

FWIW, mine was blown the hell out and it passed the PCV test, so it's not a 100% indicator. My suggestion for checking plenum is to Seafoam the hell out of it, give it a couple days after, then pull the throttle body and take an inspection mirror and flashlight and look around in corners for oil seepage.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
FWIW, mine was blown the hell out and it passed the PCV test, so it's not a 100% indicator. My suggestion for checking plenum is to Seafoam the hell out of it, give it a couple days after, then pull the throttle body and take an inspection mirror and flashlight and look around in corners for oil seepage.

i dont wanna seafoam it, because if for somereason my heads are cracked, and covered by 128k miles of carbon buildup, i dont' want the cracks becoming exposed XD

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i dont wanna seafoam it, because if for somereason my heads are cracked, and covered by 128k miles of carbon buildup, i dont' want the cracks becoming exposed XD

If your heads were cracked, no amount of carbon would keep them from dripping coolant in. lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Should. Go on Summit and look the model number up.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's not supposed to from the factory. Just depends on if the owner had it taken in or not. 00+ it was factory.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
What is death flash?

"The so called 'Death Flash' was something Dodge did many years ago as a flash to the stock PCM to retard timing to eliminate the potential pinging issues when the inevitable plenum problem would become known. This was a cheap fix/band-aid instead of fixing the actual problem which was the faulty plenum plate. It is bad to the extent that it robs you of power."

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
"The so called 'Death Flash' was something Dodge did many years ago as a flash to the stock PCM to retard timing to eliminate the potential pinging issues when the inevitable plenum problem would become known. This was a cheap fix/band-aid instead of fixing the actual problem which was the faulty plenum plate. It is bad to the extent that it robs you of power."

And in a lot of cases it STILL doesn't eliminate the ping.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. And I'm gonna guess the only way to remove it is with a tuner. How do you find out if you have the death flash