Transmission Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graham91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
I have a Dodge Ram 1500 '01 v8 5.9L. The tranny is gone but it has a good engine. I'm looking to drop some money into a better tranny. Its a good truck/project. Any suggestions on where to look? New to tranny shopping.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Consider having a reputable transmission shop rebuild your existing one with a good shift kit. Local shop rebuilt mine a few years back and the receipt included a Trans Go shift kit and a heavy duty torque converter. Tab was just shy of $2,000. A cooler would certainly be a good addition as well, though I've yet to get one.

The Torqueflite has always been a stout transmission. Not sure why the later overdrive ones have so many problems.

OP
OP
G

Graham91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9
Its already been rebuilt at 80,000 and its now at 209,000. I'm looking to grab something aftermarket.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, what are you looking to do? Any mods to the engine? Honestly, if the engine is stock or even mildly modified, I really can't think of a reason why one would need anything more than a properly rebuilt 46r.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its already been rebuilt at 80,000 and its now at 209,000. I'm looking to grab something aftermarket.

If you're wanting one that will last Megaviper from link I posted above.