Meguire's Ultimate Black sucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I grabbed a container of the black plastic treatment for the bed trim pieces, mirrors, all the black plastic that likes to dull over time.

I recently washed my truck with dawn in prep for a buff job so when I applied the product I did it very liberally and the plastic that seemed dry after dawn appeared to be eating it up like a sponge. It was shiny, looked good and sat for 36hrs before pulling out of garage where it sat in my driveway on a warm sunny spring evening.

A full 2.5 days later it rained...and thats where this product has caused issues. For some reason it has caused this white residue that I CANNOT get off. I tried for 30 min with a scratch free scotch brite pad and nothing.

Now the really weird part is that the drivers side is MUCH worse than the passengers side with no evidence of why.

So my questions are what is a good plastic treatment to use and any ideas on how to make mine black again lol?

Kinda sucks as I just did a serious full detail on the truck and have these crapy looking trim pieces...

Attachments

• Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.02 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.02 PM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 208
  • Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.03 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.03 PM #2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.03 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-16-16 at 2.03 PM.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 195

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I never had that issue when I used the same product. However sorry bout your trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I know of no product to restore black plastic once it has weather faded. I have gray plastic cladding on 01 Jeep, that WAS once black. I've tried Mothers, Turtle Wax, maybe a couple others. no joy.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never used Meguairs trim stuff before but never heard of bad reviews on any of their product so shocked on what happened.

I have used those Adams VRT as well as 303 and like both of them.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know of no product to restore black plastic once it has weather faded. I have gray plastic cladding on 01 Jeep, that WAS once black. I've tried Mothers, Turtle Wax, maybe a couple others. no joy.

Mine was not weather faded on my 2012 Ram. I would say it was in the 85% of it's original blackness.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never used Meguairs trim stuff before but never heard of bad reviews on any of their product so shocked on what happened.

I have used those Adams VRT as well as 303 and like both of them.

So funny, I just got my first bottle of Adams VRT and tried a small patch last night and it may be able to save it. I am gong to try another bigger patch...would try it all but at $20 a bottle...

If it fails I guess I am looking to buy new trim pieces which I'm sure Mopar will want like $347.72 for the three bed pieces... :puke:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
try mothers back to black it seems to work ok

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3 of their products so far and am pretty impressed.

Cwbys54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used plasti-dip on my faded black trim pieces on my last truck. Works perfectly and then you can us armour all or whatever to keep it looking good.

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I grabbed a container of the black plastic treatment for the bed trim pieces, mirrors, all the black plastic that likes to dull over time.

I recently washed my truck with dawn in prep for a buff job so when I applied the product I did it very liberally and the plastic that seemed dry after dawn appeared to be eating it up like a sponge. It was shiny, looked good and sat for 36hrs before pulling out of garage where it sat in my driveway on a warm sunny spring evening.

A full 2.5 days later it rained...and thats where this product has caused issues. For some reason it has caused this white residue that I CANNOT get off. I tried for 30 min with a scratch free scotch brite pad and nothing.

Now the really weird part is that the drivers side is MUCH worse than the passengers side with no evidence of why.

So my questions are what is a good plastic treatment to use and any ideas on how to make mine black again lol?

Kinda sucks as I just did a serious full detail on the truck and have these crapy looking trim pieces...

That's a big phone in that 3rd pic!

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used plasti-dip on my faded black trim pieces on my last truck. Works perfectly and then you can us armour all or whatever to keep it looking good.

I love plasti dip but it fades every 3-4 months...I guess those pieces as opposed to a grill would last much much longer. I guess one could just paint them right?

I did a 6" area with Adam's VRT at lunch hr and so far so good, and black...

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Just researched trim stuff cause the rambox lid is alot of black plastic. Just got some of this to try and get the trim to black. Mainly from sloppy sealant work done by myself but the trim also looks somewhat faded and different colors after only a couple months.

Amazon.com: Mothers 06141 Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit: Automotive

Then got some of this to seal it. Got some good reviews on autogeek. I believe there was one that was made by ultima as well that got good reviews. This one is relatively new i think.

http://www.amazon.com/BLACKFIRE-Tot...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Meguire's Ultimate Black and have had a good experience with it. Regardless of what you use, depending on weather conditions expect to have to recoat the parts at least once a month.

Acid rain an issue in your area??

Last edited:
OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Eugene OR and never had any issues with black trim before on vehicles...And I have owned the truck for 3 months before the Meguire's did this to my trim. It did look good and wet and shiny until it rained then this happened. I honestly have no ideas what it is!

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I think once the trim has grayed on you, that ship has sailed. You can't reverse the effects of UV rays, at least not yet. Just my .02.

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well thats the thing, it is not sun damage/UV damage. It was black one night then the next day after rain it got all the white crap all over it that won't come off. Actually I am going to go out and see how the Adams VRT test section did...

OP
OP
jlpowell84

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wolfgang does have a plastic trim Sealant I may give a try...I was beyond impressed with their 3.0 Deep gloss paint slant post buff job and polish. So perhaps their products are the real deal :)

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
ive used mothers back to black in the past with good results. i also used surf city garages professional exterior trim conditioner. they are both good. like another persom mentioned however if it rains pretty good youll notice where it has washed off in places especially if the water runs off the truck in that area. example....i got a hood deflector and the rain runs to each side and down by the headlights. the trim under the headlights wont stay black as long as the rest of the bumper trim does.