Swirl marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have my blue 4th gen down below and there are swirl marks every where from the idiot that detailed it before I bought the truck. How do I go about removing these swirl marks with out burning through the paint or taking to much clear coat off? And if you know any good places in the Houston tx area that do a great job

qeqypy2y.jpg8u2y5aza.jpg

Wait a second... This is an iPhone?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you for the informational video! I am all for supporting venders on forums.

Wait a second... This is an iPhone?

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I own a rotary, Porter Cable D/A, and my go to tool, my Flex. I'll be touching up my G8 this week. Keep in mind, keeping a DD corrected isn't easy and not for everyone!

Correcting by hand is pretty much impossible!

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I correct with a makita rotary and menzerna IP. The reason why I choose menzerna is because it removes it in one pass. it is a double edge sword, some compounds are meant to be worked for a long time, they use oils to prevent them from drying, and are user friendly. I prefer the diminishing abrasive low oily compound and rotary combo, If you use a DA then you might want an oily compound that will allow the machine to work. Rotary's will get through the swirls like a saw on butter, but if you don't know what you are doing it can harm your paint. another option is to pay a detailer, if it is a brick and mortar established shop they will have insurance and shouldn't cost but a couple hundred.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think scottwax is down in that area, look him up on autopia. The dude has skillz. YOU USUALLY CAN POLISH A CAR 40 TIMES BEFORE GOING THROUGH CLEAR COAT. GENERAL RULE IS IF YOU CAN'T FEEL THEM WITH YOUR NAIL THEN YOU CAN GET THEM BUFFED PRETTY EASILY. IF YOU CAN FEEL THEM WITH YOUR NAIL, YOU NEED TO WET OR COLOR SAND IT THEN POLISH. I'm not shouting, my keyboard malfunctioned or something.

Your swirls are nothing, they look like an easy fix to me.

I looked it up Scottwax is in fort worth area, don't know how far that is but he could bust that out in 2 hours. Just google scottwax and his business comes up.

BTW, I have the same blue and get terrible swirls too. Sometimes it is indicative of the clear coat as opposed to someone messing it up. Some clear coats are soft and some are hard, one resists chips but swirls easily and the other chips easily but resists swirls. I think the best coatings are the ones like porche that mix the clear coat with the paint, but only custom vehicles use this technology.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sladerade

Sladerade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you for the info Burla I'm debating on buying a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher and doing it myself and gain some learning experience. From what I can gather is that is I would have to be a idiot to burn through the clear coat with this DA polisher.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Do it yourself! You'll have the pride of knowing YOU made it look that good!
Plus, once you buy the tools, the rest is cheap.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Actually a DA can burn through your paint just as easy as a Rotary, mainly because you have a false sense of security when using one. The key is compound choice and pad choice. When you use a rotary you keep the machine moving because you know if you don't you are asking for trouble, when you use a DA you stick in one spot over and over. If the pad and compound are aggressive it can build up enough heat to mess up your paint job. Keep the DA moving just like a rotary if you have an aggressive combo.

Stick to polishing pads (generally white) and avoid cutting pads. those swirls do not need an aggressive polish or pad, but medium to fine should do just fine. I would look up a 3 to 4 on the aggressive scale compound and stick with a white polishing pad, especially if you never done it before.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Scott is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I agree, he is one of the best!
Jay