Jacobs Brake Exhaust Brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
The Jacobs Brake can be purchased through Cummins, Dodge or directly with Jacob Brake:
The following model years are available through
Dodge dealers and Cummins Distributors
Dodge: 1998.5–2002; 2004.5-2006
Cummins: 1989-2006
OEM Engine Application Brake Model Product Name
Dodge-Cummins
B5.9 Dodge Ram TMVO 1989-1998 Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
ISB Dodge Ram TMVO ‘98.5-’02 Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
ISB Dodge Ram TMVO ‘03-’04 Jacobs Exhaust Brake®
ISB Dodge Ram TMVO ‘04.5-’06 Jacobs Exhaust Brake®

Operation:
The Jacobs Brake is turned on via a plunger style switch. It is shaped to be mounted on the gear selector in the automatic vehicles. With the plunger out it's on, in it's off.

When off the Jacobs Brake will not engage under any condition.

When on there are two normal operation conditions:
If the vehicle is not up to normal operating temperature (apx 185) the brake will engage any time the vehicle is over 20-25 mph and the throttle is not engaged.
It will also activate when the vehicle is stopped (vehicle brakes applied). This reduces the amount of time taken for the vehicle to reach normal operating temperatures (very VERY helpful in the winters!)

If the vehicle is up to normal operating temperature the brake will engage any time the vehicle is over 20-25 mph and the throttle is not engaged.

Good things to know:
-Between 20 & 25 mph (mine is right about 22mph but I know my speedo is off a bit) the brake will disengage.
-Because the Jacob Brake connects to the vehicles ECM it will lock and unlock the torque converter along with controlling down and up shifting. (I would highly recommend a double-disk (at least) torque converter; I am pretty confident my Jacobs Brake lead to the early death of my TC.)
-The Jacobs Brake comes pre-drilled and tapped for a EGT probe. Monitoring post turbo EGT's will allow you to protect your Jacobs Brake.

The exhaust brake that is installed on our CTD's is different than the engine brake.

A Semi Jake Brake opens the exhaust valve during the compression stroke. It is an integral part of the engine. It works by re-routing the compressed air in the cylinders through the exhaust system.

The exhaust brake works after the engine. Just creating back pressure that slow the movement of the engine.

Jacobs Vehicle Systems - Technology - Engine Brake

QUESTION:

I've seen signs posted that say "No Jake Brakes", what does this mean?

ANSWER:

Jake Brake® is a registered trademark of Jacobs Vehicle SystemsTM. The term "Jake Brake" is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to compression release type engine brakes in general. The term correctly refers to all of Jacobs Vehicle Systems retarding products including Jacobs Exhaust Brakes and Jacobs Driveline Brakes as well as Jacobs Engine Brakes. Engine brakes are used extensively on heavy-duty trucks, with diesel engines over 10.0L displacement. When operating it produces a distinctive staccato sound.

When an engine brake is used on a vehicle with a poorly muffled or un-muffled engine exhaust (using straight pipes for example), the sound can be offensive, which is what prompted the sign you saw. You were probably driving through a residential area that is adjacent to the highway. The real problem here is that there are a few trucks that are illegally modified or have defective exhaust systems that has triggered the community's reaction. Most high profile, professional fleets adequately maintain their trucks and equip them with OE quality mufflers to reduce the noise for both the driver and the communities they drive through.

The sign you saw might have unfairly used our trademark, making it brand specific. The term "Jake Brake" also refers to our nearly silent exhaust brakes and driveline brakes, so these signs don't make sense for all Jake Brakes, and don't target the root cause of the problem, which is the illegal exhaust systems some truckers chose to configure their vehicle with.

We would like to know where these "Brand Specific" signs are posted. If you've seen one, please let us know what Route number, City/Town and State you saw the sign by sending an E-mail to: [email protected]. Digital photos are great too!
Thanks!
There are a few locations that state 'No unmuffled exhaust brake' ... oh ok that one I'm in violation of but they can tt2.gif that ticket. Most of those laws are written with conditions for commercial only. So the chance of actually getting stuck w/ a ticket is pretty slim.

DSCN2771.png

I have the install instructions in a PDF but it is to large to attache to a thread. PM me an email address if you'd like it.

OP
OP
L

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
The actuator mounts below the stock CP3. Caused an issue with the later install of the Air-Dog :(

I've got the entire install PDF...but it is to large to attach to a thread. If you want to see it send me an email address via PM and I'll send it to you.

Redneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Cool thanks. My fs2500 is in the way of afew of the other exhaust breaks air compressor.

Redneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Well just my luck the FS2500 is in the way of that one too. I"ll figure something out. Thanks.

wolfwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9l
I have a question...my truck has the cummins jake brake for the manual tranny. It also had the autometer phantom pyrometer guage and it seems to run backwards! I checked the wiring for polarity issues. Any ideas? If I stomp on it the guage goes from 0 to the 2 o'clock position, only it does so counter clockwise.

OP
OP
L

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
I've never run auto meters so I don't even know the wiring on them. My Isspro are digital so the signal is handled by a brain box.

4x4cummins06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
does any one know where i can find just the pully comresor and belt for the jacobs engine brake