Draining fuel filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I haven't drained the fuel filter(s) yet on my 2014 but I only have 1600 miles on it, a couple of questions about doing this though.
1- How many fuel filters do I have? I thought one but I have included pics of two that I found. One in the engine bay the other under the bed of the truck at the rear.
2- Do I drain both if I do indeed have two filters?
3- How often should they or it be drained?
4- How much do I drain out?
5- Any tricks you have learned to make this easier/less messy?
6- Anything else you might want to add to this thread?

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4,438
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,670

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
1. you have 2, and you've found them =) expect the rear to be MUCH more dirty than the front.
2. yes
3. subject to opinion, some guys drain them every fill up, others don't even know you're supposed to, they just change them.
4. Not really a set amount, just drain it, then cycle the key on/off a few times (you will make a mess without a fabricated drain hose extension
5. You'll probably need a band wrench or filter pliers (for CHANGING filters) as the rear is screw-on and supposedly very tight. The manual should have the procedure for draining the filters.
6. i don't have a 2013+ so I only have to deal with 1 filter, hopefully the guys with the newer trucks will respond. I will add that BOTH filters should be changed at the same time

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Smykowski has you covered.

I had the dealer do the first fuel filter change last month. I had them show me so I could do the rest. Fitting a hose over the drain makes it a lot easier to direct the fuel into a container.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Smykowski has you covered.

I had the dealer do the first fuel filter change last month. I had them show me so I could do the rest. Fitting a hose over the drain makes it a lot easier to direct the fuel into a container.

Thank you Smykowski for the info.

Power247: A step by step of how to change each filter would be great if you have the time. Thanks.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thank you Smykowski for the info.

Power247: A step by step of how to change each filter would be great if you have the time. Thanks.
There is an excellent YouTube video that I found recently. I will post a link when I can get to an actual computer.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
thanks for the link I'll watch it tonight when I get home, can't watch youtube here at work.