Grinding Noise Accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarrpathSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone, first post here, and yes I have used the search function! :)
I have a '75 W100 Powerwagon and just recently there's been a grinding noise when the gas pedal is pushed in slightly.
If I don't touch it at all or push it down further then nothing happens, basically its just a light touch that I would use to keep my speed up without tramping on it all the time.
Any info would be helpful, I have a pretty tight budget so I try to get most of the work done myself. Thanks!
PS, I have tried it in 2wd, 2wd w/ locked hubs, and 4h.

OP
OP
W

WarrpathSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318, Automatic, when its first started it wont make any grinding until Im driving for about a minute, then it starts

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
2wd or 4wd?

My guess would be in the driveling, u-joints or diff.. I've had similar problems where it's only an issue at very light throttle, when accellerating or decelerating the part is under stress one way or another so doesn't make any noise..

Do you have a 2 piece rear driveshaft? If so the bearing maybe?

Just some ideas, hopefully other will come along and offer more ideas....

OP
OP
W

WarrpathSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll check the rear driveshaft, are there any physical differences between a one piece and two piece? Just so I know what I'm looking for. I'll have to check the u joints as well. Also the front driveshaft seems loose to me, is that a possibility even though I hear no noise when switched to 2wd instead of 4wd

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
I'll check the rear driveshaft, are there any physical differences between a one piece and two piece? Just so I know what I'm looking for. I'll have to check the u joints as well. Also the front driveshaft seems loose to me, is that a possibility even though I hear no noise when switched to 2wd instead of 4wd
I'm not sure if two piece if the right term, some long bed trucks will have a bearing on a hanger in the middle and the engine side drive shaft is held up by that which connects to another drive shaft that goes to the axle. It'll be obvious.

I had a front drive shaft that did a squeeking thing, when in 2wd under roughly the same circumstances. Get under, grab the drive shaft and twist back and forth.. see if you can detect the noise.. that's how I confirmed mind.

I wouldn't rule much out.. poke around ;-)