Pulled the trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fixmdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just moved to Colorado, on a mountain, with a 1/2 mile long steep driveway uphill, with 2 switchbacks, on the north side of the mountain so the snow won't melt in the winter. I'm told that the previous owner used a truck with chains for the driveway and left a car down at the bottom by the road. I thought if I got a 2017 Raptor with a Torsen differential front end that should take care of it, plus it has auto 4x4 mode so I wouldn't be stuck in 2wd going down the highway in potentially icy conditions. Unfortunately, the Raptors are not in stock yet and the dealers want $10k over MSRP to get on the list for a future one, which they will order with $4500 of extras I don't care about. So it's actually $15k over MSRP when I price one out my way.
Today my neighbor told me I'll need a 3/4 ton on this driveway, not a 1/2 ton. I looked at the Power Wagon Laramie and it was going for $10k below MSRP after incentives. That's $25k less than a Raptor which isn't in stock anywhere, for a RAM PW that will be delivered to my house from the dealer's lot on Sat. Front locking diff might replace the need for chains. 3/4 ton weight should help climb in the snow.
I was surprised that it didn't have a rear defroster. The dealer said it's straight up and down so no snow or ice will collect on it. I've never had a truck before so I'm curious what others have noticed. Is a rear defroster needed?
Since the truck is so heavy, does that help with not having Auto 4x4, in that 2 WD is good enough for in-between situations on the highway? Or do people need to use 4x4 at 55 mph in suspect situations just in case they hit black ice?
Thanks for the input.

HEMI-ALERT!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Great choice! manual 4x4 lever is "On-the-fly", so you will have to learn that for yourself(Manual). Also, the sway-bar disconnect button can be activated in 4Hi... so to smooth out a "Long steep driveway" ride. If snows coming make sure she's parked in 4Hi... & post a picture, dude!
:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes 2wd works fine in most situations. What I always do is turn on 4wd when I come to a stop and then turn it back off once I get up to speed. Also people say 4wd only helps with starting and nothing else, I don't agree. It also seems to help when going around slick turn. You won't fish tail near as easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if your able to do 55mph, chances are you dont need 4wd. you shouldnt be driving around on the highway with it unless that highway is covered in snow.

OP
OP
F

fixmdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your able to do 55mph, chances are you dont need 4wd.

Not necessarily. I once had a 1991 2-door Blazer S10 that you had to shift to 4x4 in the same manner with a stick only when needed. I was going 55 on a highway in the country in WI in the rain so I didn't have it on. Night fell and when I got to the top of a hill I let off the gas just as I hit black ice without knowing it had frozen, and my rear end started going faster than the front of the truck causing it to fish tail and flip into a ditch. I replaced that vehicle with a 2000 Bravada with SmartTrak so all wheels would always be engaged all the time and I haven't fish tailed since, even on ice. So, going back to 2 wd most of the time is a concern.

The truck was delivered today, they came with the truck and a second guy in a Kia to drive them back. The Kia got stuck half way up the driveway at the second switchback, couldn't make it up. I went down to sign the papers in the middle of the driveway.

I took the Power Wagon for a spin and found that it rode better, and with more control, than my 2016 Lincoln MKC which has excellent ride due to soft springs paired with an electronic adaptive suspension system. When I first moved here I rented a Ram 1500 for 11 days and it had poor control over the bumpy gravel. It rattled, jumped, and skipped sideways going around curves at 20 mph on gravel roads. This Power Wagon held it's control like glue going around the same curve at 35 (the speed limit is 25 but I was testing). The suspension kept some wheels gripping the ground even when other wheels were bouncing around, so the truck didn't lose traction and slide sideways from the bumps while going around curves. Could be a factor of the heavier weight, or the 5 link suspension, or both. So far it looks very promising.

OP
OP
F

fixmdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pics

Pics of new truck, got dark red since that's near the color of the gravel and dirt here. Ready for the 2-3 foot snow falls now.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 119

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
great color. Is that inferno red?

OP
OP
F

fixmdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
great color. Is that inferno red?

Delmonico Red Pearl Coat. My last 4 vehicles were white but you can see from the bottom half of it that one trip down the gravel roads here covers it in dust. Also at 7100 ft up and with no buildings in your horizon the sun comes at you low in the morning on the way into town and low on the way home in the evening so you have to fight the glare of two suns at a time, one in the sky and another reflecting off your bright hood. This color was the best happy medium to reflect less sun, blend in the dust, and just look pretty.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Good looking truck, fixmdude.

I probably log as many snow/ice miles as anyone on this forum (maybe some of the Canadians have me beat). Last winter I made a 400-mile round trip commute to Anchorage every week, rain/snow/ice/sleet/fog/whatever, over a mountain pass. This past weekend I made the 600+ mile loop through the Denali highway, with about half of that trip on ice at highway speeds (55 in Alaska).

I'm still on the stock Duratracs. Most of the time I stay in 2WD. I'll use 4WD in accumulating snow, slick/wet ice, passing on the highway, and launching from a stop on ice. I contemplated getting studded tires, but the Duratracs have been performing well enough that I'll hold out for that purchase until after I make the move to 35" tires.

I've had pretty good luck with the traction control system in my truck. It has bailed me out a time or two, but isn't overbearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fixmdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a bed corner step that retracts up by the bumper, it uses existing bumper holes. I also ordered steps for each door but was disappointed that they require drilling new holes. I looked at the OEM step bars that use existing holes but they say they are not compatible with wheel well accessories like splash guards. I have larger wheel well guards to install still to keep gravel from hitting the sides. What are other people doing for steps? Is drilling new holes a concern? Will it rust there first?