Adding power driver seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STYSMason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a manual power driver seat with air bags. It has to be the most uncomfortable thing to sit in. My father picked up a lone star with power seat and the comfort is night and day. Whats the best approach to getting a power seat with lumbar functions and airbags. Is there a way ti pick up something thats just plug and play.
Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a complete set ofLaramie seats front and rear with fold out floor off of Car-Part.com for 600.00. You can pick up a power seat out of a 2013,14 or 15 Bighorn with the airbag for around 150 to 200. Install your seat cover so your interior matches and bolt it in. Make sure the wiring in the plug on your new seat matches the one on your truck. There is already a hot wire in your plug. You might have to a small amount of wiring like I did but it's strait foward.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I got a complete set ofLaramie seats front and rear with fold out floor off of Car-Part.com for 600.00. You can pick up a power seat out of a 2013,14 or 15 Bighorn with the airbag for around 150 to 200. Install your seat cover so your interior matches and bolt it in. Make sure the wiring in the plug on your new seat matches the one on your truck. There is already a hot wire in your plug. You might have to a small amount of wiring like I did but it's strait foward.

600.00 for the buckets and the rear seat? Seems incredibly cheap, did that include the jump-seat as well?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No the truck had a center console so no jump seat. The fronts were 250.00 each and the rear 60/40 with the fold out floor was 100.00. I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. I was honestly just looking for a Bighorn drivers seat when I saw the Laramie seats. It cost me 230.00 to have them shipped truck freight but still a great deal. Of corse my jump seat didn't match and the seats said Laramie all over them. I am not trying to pretend my truck is a Laramie so I had custom covers made by Leather seats.com and I installed them. I highly recommend them. They fit perfectly and the quality was outstanding. I was a little nervous installing them and I have never used hog rings before but it was actualy pretty fun to do. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20150529_113016.jpg
    20150529_113016.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20150601_190631.jpg
    20150601_190631.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20150605_132732.jpg
    20150605_132732.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150607_104517.jpg
    20150607_104517.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
How much were the covers? I have contacted them as I have the Laramie seats front only, I have reg cab. The told me they would sell me the jumpseat covers for 279.00 leather vinyl or 329.00 all leather. But when I go on the website I can get the whole thing for 599.00 (buckets and jump).

Looks nice by the way. The local Katzkin dealer gave me similar price for the jumpseat skins and he thinks he can install the katzkin heated and cooled elements in my Laramie seats. Still hemming and hawing.

Can you post some more detailed pics of the jumpseat, and opened up etc, I have reupholstered them in the past very easy but I really would like to see the fit more closely if you do not mind.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok no problem. I had to completely take the console apart I have the CD player in the console as well. I will take some pics when I am back to the truck. I had them put in the breathable perforated center section so the ventilation will work if I hook It up. I found the wires for the ventilation fans so that would just be matter of installing a switch. The heating element for the seat back has three wires going to it not sure why. I need to do some research and then figure it all out. The heating element and the ventilation system is all one piece. I was kinda bummed when I took.them apart. I was planning on figuring out the fans(which I did) and then just installing an aftermarket seat heating kit. But since they are all one piece I am thinking about buying the aftermarket kit and figuring out how to splice it into the factory heaters. The total cost for the covers front and rear with jump seat was 1050.00 which is a lot. The base price was 769.00 for the front and rear I think but once you add all the extras it goes up quick I added the three piece jump seat, custom logo on seat backs, two tone custom color insert ,contrasting double stitching plus the special material for the ventilation. I am going to wotk on figuring the seats out pretty soon just been busy with other projects.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Thanks I know how to do the jump seat and I have the CD player as well, so its a one for one, just would like to see more pics please. Also did you get the leather and vinyl or the premium leather.

I will work along with you on the seats when I get time as well.

BobbieAnn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with manual 40/20/40 cloth seats. It is so uncomfortable, especially being just 5'1" tall. I'm going on an 18 day road trip this Fall and I want to get a power seat, something that will go in with very little modifications. What years will fit in my truck? Can the bucket seats be installed to replace the bench seats?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We haven't done to many conversions on the earlier 4th Gen trucks. We have mostly done the 13 and up trucks. Depending on what trim level and what options your truck had from the factory it may or may not have the correct wiring for the power seat to be up Plug and Play. I would recommend getting a seat from a 2012 or 2011 truck. If your truck does not have the correct wiring for the power seat function to operate it is definitely not hard to add. When I first installed my seats I just ran a positive from the battery to the correct wire in the seat plug with a 15 amp fuse and a ground and it worked great. The first thing I would recommend doing is a little research to see if your truck may already have the wiring needed to make the power seat function. Can you post a picture of your driver's side seat plug so we might be able to take a look at it? Also what trim level is your truck and is it a two-door or four-door quad cab crew cab Etc?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BobbieAnn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
B5C99199-4820-4AED-A1D1-42038C9B4E91.jpeg 820F70EB-B32E-4B32-8DB5-DE7233E90760.jpeg AD1E5060-6240-4ACC-8196-E8BD280DAEA5.jpeg 4.7L 4WD SLT quad cab
First Photo is taken from the front, second from the rear.
Thanks for your help! ‍♀️

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your wiring is definitely completely different than the 13 and newer trucks. If you look at the solid red wire in the yellow plug and the solid black wire in the yellow plug on this 2015 truck that is the power and the ground for the seat adjuster. Your truck looks like it has a power and a ground going into its plug but there's no way to tell if it is for the power adjuster section until you buy the new seat and plug it in and see what wiring you're missing. Either way if you don't have the correct wiring it would be extremely simple to just run a power and ground to the correct wires ro the seat so the power adjusters will work. I had mine hooked up that way for at least a year before I finally built the harness to enable all the options on my heated/ventelated seats. I think.your first step will be to locate the correct seat and go from there. Maybe someone with a earlier 4th Gen will chime in and give more insight. d7c1c56340d56bdd3c1146a771e98a0f.jpg

BobbieAnn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I’ll have to figure out what seats will bolt right in. I’ve looked at some on eBay and they say the seats will fit from 2010 to 2015. I’d like to get something out of a newer truck but I don’t want to take a chance on them not fitting. Sounds like I will be able to make the wiring work. Thanks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't get anything out of a 13 or newer. Things on eBay are listed incorrectly all the time. The pictures you sent me of your seat plug is totally different than the plug on the 13 and up seats. You are going to save a lot of time and trouble by getting a seat for the earlier version of the 4th gen. That being said if you get the correct seat as you stated it should be pretty simple to hook up the wiring you will need for the power adjust function if your truck doesn't have it. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Smith 2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You just added a standard power seat to driver side on this and harness was there and didn’t have to run any wiring? I have a express with manual seat and like to do the same

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You just added a standard power seat to driver side on this and harness was there and didn’t have to run any wiring? I have a express with manual seat and like to do the same
No my truck didn't have the correct wiring. I had to run a constant hot to the red wire in the Yellow seat plug and a ground to the solid black wire in the yellow seat plug.

BobbieAnn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I wouldn't get anything out of a 13 or newer. Things on eBay are listed incorrectly all the time. The pictures you sent me of your seat plug is totally different than the plug on the 13 and up seats. You are going to save a lot of time and trouble by getting a seat for the earlier version of the 4th gen. That being said if you get the correct seat as you stated it should be pretty simple to hook up the wiring you will need for the power adjust function if your truck doesn't have it. Good luck let us know how it goes.

I have a friend with a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel with power seats. We measured the bolt pattern and they are exactly the same as my 2011 Ram 1500. So that gives me a wider range to choose from. The plugs are not exactly the same but if I can get a nice seat that bolts right in, I'll worry about the details after.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a friend with a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel with power seats. We measured the bolt pattern and they are exactly the same as my 2011 Ram 1500. So that gives me a wider range to choose from. The plugs are not exactly the same but if I can get a nice seat that bolts right in, I'll worry about the details after.
Yes the mounting locations on the 2013 and up seats are identical the 2009 to 2012. The problem I'm worried you're going to run into is the seats operate on a different system. The 2013 and up trucks operate on a different CAN ( controller area network) system so they may not communicate with your truck. My suggestion would be to remove the occupancy sensor hardware and seat belt sensor hardware from your seat and just install the whole harness in the new seat if possible. After you did that it would be not difficult at all to just run constant 12 volt power to your seat for the power adjusting functions to work.

noel ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
hay guys i know that i am late but i just bought a 2019 3500 dully tradesman and i am having the same problem. the seat is to high and uncomfortable. i know the 19 is new but do you guys have any input for this truck?