Oil catch can mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed an Billet oil catch can on my 2015 Ram 1500. Have any of you notice slight loss in acceleration, weird idle, or lost in power after doing this mod?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Only reason a catch can would cause this is if you do not have the hoses routed correctly, or if they dont have tight seal on the fittings. As stated, post a few pics of how you have this installed, and we may be able to point out the problem.

If the catch can is installed correctly, then it is just a weird coincidence that something else isnt right causing the truck to slow down. There is nothing about a catch can that can cause a loss of power or acceleration if installed properly.

OP
OP
rubes7202

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's the pictureffcd143ae3d9ab27fbc670f400bef2ef.jpg

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check to make sure you are tight on the TB inlet--looks canted in the picture. A leak there would have your computer constantly dealing with varying suction.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
That looks like a UPR can. They have been known for having quality control issues, so next step would be to open the can and see if there is anything blocking airflow on the inside.

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
I have the same catch can with 0 issues. I did upgrade the oring but other than that no problems. Sounds like there is a obstruction in the hose somewhere.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks like a UPR can. They have been known for having quality control issues, so next step would be to open the can and see if there is anything blocking airflow on the inside.

How does one "Mess up" a catch can?lol just curious. These guys have literal blockages in the barbs blocking the PCV cycle? I believe the dirty air side can vent to atmosphere with little consequence according to some "cai" companies.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
How does one "Mess up" a catch can?lol just curious. These guys have literal blockages in the barbs blocking the PCV cycle? I believe the dirty air side can vent to atmosphere with little consequence according to some "cai" companies.

You are thinking about the wrong hose. The catch can goes on the PCV line that runs form the PCV valve to the intake manifold on the passenger side of the motor. The Breather hose is what runs form your oil cap to the stock airbox. It is OK to just remove the breather hose and replace it with a small breather filter, but the PCV line has to be connected and free flowing to avoid drive ability issues.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are thinking about the wrong hose. The catch can goes on the PCV line that runs form the PCV valve to the intake manifold on the passenger side of the motor. The Breather hose is what runs form your oil cap to the stock airbox. It is OK to just remove the breather hose and replace it with a small breather filter, but the PCV line has to be connected and free flowing to avoid drive ability issues.

Gotcha,

So does the other line that can accept a breather pump junk back into the intake also?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Gotcha,

So does the other line that can accept a breather pump junk back into the intake also?

The breather hose runs from the oil cap into the stock airbox. The PCV line runs from the PCV valve into the intake manifold directly below the throttle body.

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's the pictureffcd143ae3d9ab27fbc670f400bef2ef.jpg

That's look good from that point of view. But still need the inlet or PCV side to confirm what in my mind. [emoji6]

Last edited: