My 2001 1500 4x4 Madi build project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachl88

Reaction score
OK so I figured that I would start a build journal of sorts to help other people who might run into the same issues as I did. Madi is a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with the stock off road package (for now). I bought the truck from a close friend who had her stored in his garage almost a year. It practically needed and entirely new front end. He had the parts but due to health reasons couldn't work on her anymore. I bought the truck and the parts came with it. I spent the first 2 weeks crawling in/under/over her.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I have replaced both front wheel hubs, Universal's on both sides, the 4 wheel drive actuator (only time it went to a shop), ball joints (all of them), tie rods and ends (all of them), track bar, power steering pump, both front shocks, and break lines all around. As of now I just had a newborn son so the project has been slowed a little. We have a lot of body work to do. She has the typical truck skin cancer. I'm simply replacing body panels and rock guarding the inside of the panels before installation.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I'm hoping to put a 2.5 inch leveling kit on the front so I can run 33s. I am going for a lightly modified mud/trail truck as its going to be the family truck. We fall more in love it every time she's driven and Mad I hasn't let us down when we needed her most. So I'm looking for tips, recommendations, etc on suspension components, drive train up grades (I'm considering upgrading to Dana axles), just about anything. If you have a question on the mechanical I can give you my best. Thanks for reading and I'm anxious to see where this build will go. Pics will be up soon.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
You should be able to run 33s no problem with the ORE. Especially with even slightly offset wheels. I'm running 33s on my 4x4 non ORE and they only rub at full lock with stock wheels.
A dana swap would be a good idea, just make sure they're gear matched and if it were me I would look for 4.10s...
While you're down there, Bilstein 5100s and an adjustable track bar would be a good idea too.
Other than that, fix the plenum, aftermarket exhaust and a programmer would be a good place to start for powertrain/performance mods. Also look into the Kegger and TB mods while you're at it.

Pics!!

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I was going to put the 4.10 gearing in it I've heard that's practically the best for these trucks. I'm still doing research on shocks but I'll add those to my list to check into. As far as the plenum... Is that simply just the gasket under your throttle body? Any info on this would help greatly. Thanks for the tips Dude just added more to my research list.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to note my engine. We do have the 5.9 under the hood.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
You know merc I have been wondering what the gearing was on the ORE models buts I have not been able to find anything except a friend told something about 3.92...? I'm going to up front I'm not an auto mechanic. I am very mechanically inclined if I can tear it apart I can rebuild it. I've been reading up on the plenum and its symptoms and I don't seem to have any of those problems. So its either been replaced by a previous owner or I got lucky so far.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This truck will put those skills to the test lol. 3.92 are rarer than hens teeth I had them but I ordered my truck new so no big surprise there. The ORE have extra special front Dana 44, extra webbing on the front pumpkin, so they are worth cash if you upgrade to Dana 60's (great upgrade). As for no symptoms for the plenum gasket, me as I have posted for a piece of mind just do it, it not hard or expensive and then you know its done right. You can do the telescopic magnet test, open the tb stick the magnet down the TB to the plenum pan, if it does not stick good chance it has the aluminum plenum repair done to it, if it sticks to the pan just do the job and be done with it.

Oh yes pix are a must here lol and Welcome to RF.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok as for the lift kit, ORE is 2" taller than the reg 1500 Ram's. So if you do add 2.5 level kit to it you must get an adjustable trackbar or a drop bracket, you will need a drop pitman arm, a set of upper and lower control arms and front shocks. Any lift kit you get say a 5" kit you must take 2" out of that lift kits height, so a 5" kit in your truck will only lift it 3".

33's will fit your truck as it sits just fine as long as the springs have not sagged that much over the years.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
Thanks again Merc. You're def giving me a learning experience.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
How about recommendations on parts? The track bar I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with Moog.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
No problems.

If you are not going to lift the truck soon Moog problem solver is a good bar, if you are going to do that lift then look for the Skyjacker DTBA27 trackbar kit, it will fit if you do the lift and much better than a drop track-bar bracket.

Moog ball-joints stay away from them buggers. Napa is just as good and cost less.

What other parts are looking at replacing?

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I was told that Moog had adjustable... I could've been led the wrong direction on that. As of now I'd just like to get the leveling kit on and the parts you've listed that go along with it. As of now I'm just looking into what I've listed and then see what happens after that. This is the first truck I've built so I'm not sure where to go from there. Id like to swap my front bumper for a ranch hand with winch installed and a headache rack with a bigger winch in the rear. I've got a little 2500 lber in the bed to help me lift. I'm 5'4" and 125 I need the help sometimes lol

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Listen to the man. He knows his ish.

Two things I thought of that you may find of benefit... if you aren't having any symptoms of a blown plenum, maybe you should wait on tearing into it and find a Mopar M1 intake. It will net you decent performance gains and get rid of that s******k plenum once and for all (its one piece instead of two). They arent all that easy to come by, but since you still seem to have a non-issue engine, you might just wait and see what you can find. I think there is one on eBay right now... Merc what do you think?

Also, LIGHT THAT SUCKER UP! The stock headlights, for me at least, don't do **** when it comes to offraod/trail. It actually kind of frightens me sometimes. The route I am going (whenever I can afford it) is a 50 inch low profile LED bar on the roof, LED pods in the fog light holes, and eventually some sort of LED headlight setup like what Dodgedude94 has. Check out Amazon and eBay for off brand LED bars, if re-seal them they are pretty bangin for the price you pay.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I've decided when I got the truck to "light it up" yeah I'm not a big fan of the stock lighting either.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Everyone I've asked has said there worthless on these trucks. Save your money and get a tuner.

Yup. They do absolutely ****. A 50mm throttle body would be worth wile AFTER you get some other stuff. But, when you install your intake (either the M1 or the stock Keggar after you have fixed the plenum), you can do the free TB mod where you CAREFULLY grind off the wings on the throttle body.