04 1500 Hemi Manual...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phoenix9221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my situation...

Recently on a long trip driving through some canyon roads my oil pump went out and by the time I could pull over, and not fall off a cliff, my 4.7 was knocking like a pissed off wife on a hotel door. Hadn't seized yet, but instead of just rebuilding it, I'm thinking about throwing a Hemi in it.

I know the mounts, computer etc would most likely need changed too, but would this not be possible? Also, would the bellhousing match up and would the current tranny even hold up with the Hemi, or would it be a better option to get a tranny from a 2500 or SRT10?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This comes up about once a week. The mechanics is easy enough it appears but the hangup is what PCM you going to use. You have much research to do to answer your questions. Check the Durango forums as they also do 4.7 / hemi swaps. Painless is building custom wiring harnesses to run pretty much any combination. Keep us posted on your progress. If you are short on time, then you'll probably get back running quicker with a 4.7 rebuild. Good luck..

OP
OP
P

Phoenix9221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I've seen countless threads in several forums about this but they've all been with auto transmissions that I've seen. I know people have done it with varying degrees of difficulty. My main concern is really the transmission. Will the stock one hold up. I know the first few years of the 3gen had generally weaker trannies. Plus, I'd ultimately like a 6 speed...

Also I haven't really seen a solid answer on what all needs swapped with the engine. Anyone have or know where an itemized list of components needed to do this is? The things I know for sure are: engine (duh), mounts, harness, PCM
Possibles: various hoses, lines & sensors, radiator, gas pedal and linkage for the MDS...

Time really isn't a factor. It's paid off and I'm planning on getting a Charger SRT8

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
One of your main concerns should be what you are intending to do about the Throttle body. 4.7 doesn't use FBW, all hemi's have FBW. Meaning if you are going to keep the FBW TB then you have to change PCM's. The preferred being 05 for tunability. Personally if given a chance to dump the FBW I would do so in a heartbeat. Now this would make things easier for you to keep your 4.7 PCM and tune it for the Hemi. There are several ways to use a cable driven TB on the Hemi. As for the transmission I haven't done any research, but I'd run what you have getting the engine sorted out and then convert to a 6 spd at a later date. This would get you running and allow time for you to nail down exactly what you want to go with and gather parts. Anyway my two cents.

These are some pictures of a drive by cable conversion I did when using a stand alone tuner.
m6jh.jpg
akwc.jpg