04 / 5.7 VS 09 /5.7 Rods and Pistons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony8327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 04 / 5.7 Ram that I am rebuilding.
I have a set of 09 / 5.7 rods and pistons that has low mileage on them . Holding them side by side I can't see any difference , the rods and pistons look to be the same size . But there is one difference that does concern me , it is the oil rings . it is the Same set up on both , but the oil rings on the 09 is almost half the width of the 04 rings . It would save me a few bucks if this swap will work , but I need advise on this , any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks !

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I have a 04 / 5.7 Ram that I am rebuilding.
I have a set of 09 / 5.7 rods and pistons that has low mileage on them . Holding them side by side I can't see any difference , the rods and pistons look to be the same size . But there is one difference that does concern me , it is the oil rings . it is the Same set up on both , but the oil rings on the 09 is almost half the width of the 04 rings . It would save me a few bucks if this swap will work , but I need advise on this , any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks !
You need to take a set of calipers and verify all specs of each piston. I'd be willing to bet they are different.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tony8327

Tony8327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will do , thanks ! If by chance they do match up , do you think the difference in the oil rings would matter ? Thank you again for your advise .

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
It may, depending on certain aspects of the older 5.7. Maybe someone else could help us out here, as I've always bought new.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk