04 Hemi, Taylor Shorty wires 8.2 or 10.4 MM ? Thundervolt or? and Plugs 06 Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am getting ready to replace my Plugs ( almost 30 K on them ) and Wires ( about 10 Years old Mopar replacements ), I would not mind cleaning up the engine bay a little and I like how the shorty wires look. Now I have heard some people have issues and some do not with cold starting. I don't mind giving them a try since most people don't have issues.

Do I want to go 8.2 or 10.4? Thundervolt or Race version?

Is there a full length you recommend instead?

I would do the 06 Conversion if I could find everything cheap enough but I don't feel like spending $600-$700 for everything. Anyone sell a kit?

Plugs I am guessing I will just go with the standard champion? ( Anyone have part number handy)

Truck is super clean but not a daily driver and not my main play vehicle either.
Thanks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You don't need race wires lol ‍♂️
The wires would be cheaper, however the swap only costs that much if you insist on brand new parts. I did it for significantly less years ago; the most expensive purchase was the pigtail adapters (there's a set on ebay right now).

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Thundervolts have 40 OHM where the Race Spiro Pro have 300 Ohm, I think I am going to go with teh Thunder volts in 8.2. I am not doing this expecting to gain any power, It's time to change the wires and figured I'd clean it up a bit.

Leaning towards the NGK for the plugs, Thoughts ?

If I do the coil conversion, I'll need.
Adapters?
8 Coils from 06 to what year?
Valve covers and gaskets from what year?
Anything else?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As long as they're coppers you're good, the early engines just didn't seem to like exotic metals.
Adapters
Coils all the same 2006 to present
VC's 06 to 08; the 09+ will work but they have bulges for valve clearance that you don't need. Gaskets are the same (it's a big o-ring).
That's it. Simple conversion people have been doing for the past 17 years lol.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paid 150 bucks for covers coils and pig tails today from an 06. Just need to find the right deal

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I installed these today ,
They fit and looked better than stock, I started the truck up and all seemed great, But then I noticed clicking though the radio while the truck was running and then I got a P2323 code ( Cylinder 8 )after about 15 min of driving, Truck seemed to be running fine . I reset the code and it came back after about the same amount of time. I put the stock wires back on and all was good.

I called Taylor and spoke with a great Rep and he said the Taylor Thunder volts have a copper core and that they can cause RFI issues, He is sending me out a set of the Wires linked below, They did not have the 8 MM in stock so I am getting the 10.4 and he said these wires should produce no RFI. I'll report back.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, The new wires are not causing a check engine light but I still get popping though the radio, It appears to come and go when usuing Blue tooth adapter to listen to music but is very bad with FM Radio, I have not tried AM. Is this an aftermarket wire issue or a shorty wire issue? I would think shorter wires would cause less noise. The wires touch metal in a coupe spots, Brake booster and EGR tube. Not sure if I shoule get the full Length MSD Wires and try them? IS there a noise suppressor I could add? Would extra ground on radio help?

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well both sets/models of the Taylor shorty wires were a fail, the 10.4 didn't throw a code for about 2 weeks and then it was none stop after that.
Radio noise was there but not as bad a the first set.
I installed the MSD 8.5 full length last night and so far so good.
Taylors look so much better but my suggestion is to stay away from them, The MSD look like a rats nest and I am having a hard time getting them to look decent.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Shoulda done the coil conversion lol.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you are correct, I really did like the look of the Taylor Wires.