04 Ram 1500 Hemi, Diablo T1000 or Super Chips? Which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am looking at the Diablo T1000 or and the Super chips Tuners, Is the Diablo worth the extra money? Are tuners something that is worth it anyway? Will I notice a difference?

What are the difference between the 2? I am not looking to go crazy with upgrades with the truck, Maybe exhaust and cold air intake. Thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with the DiabloSport tuners and can tell you that they do make a difference.

Coupled with a better flowing intake and exhaust, those programmers take advantage of the increased air flow to maximize performance and efficiency through fuel management. I saw an increase in HP, torque and mileage with the "canned" tune on a DiabloSport programmer in two of my personal vehicles. Throttle response improved considerably. I now have a custom tune on the SRT8 and it really work up that car.

If I could ask for anything else with respects to the DiabloSport products would be a better ability to set shift firmness. Fortunately they do have the ability to dial in shift points at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

There is a lot more to the DiabloSport programmers that I have described here but my personal experience with them has been excellent, not only with respects to the product performance but also their customer service.

Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They have a few different models, Which of the new models should I look into?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Consider the InTune unless you want a real time, configurable, gauge display.

The tunes are pretty much the same as is the P&ID logs, throttle adjustment, code reading and code clearing functions.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the T1000 is something I would mount in the truck and leave there? What can it do that I would need to keep and eye on? Can I install tune then remove the T1000 like a regular programer?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The gauge display is configurable for up to 4 gauges per page I believe. So what I'd do is configure the display for gauges you don't already have on your dash.

For instance the stock dash has the speedo, tach, fuel, ammeter, oil pressure and water temp gauges installed. So want to know what your oil temp is? Add the gauge. Want to keep track of fuel pressure? How about trans oil temp? Add the gauge. You'll get a read out on those items as long as the T1000 is plugged in. If you want to keep track of your Air/Fuel ratio (am I running rich or lean?) you add a wide band sensor to the exhaust below the cat and run a cable up to the T1000. Let's just say your gauge choices are varied.

You can leave it in the truck or unplug it as you wish. You can install a tune and unplug the unit and the tune will still be on your PCM. If all you want is tunes, then I'd go for the InTune or a used Predator vs. the Trinity and save some money.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The T1000 will get all of the info from the ECM fuel pressure and what not, temps and what not?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is plugged directly into the OBD II data port so it's in direct communication with the PCM.

That means that any function that is monitored by the PCM and that has a corresponding configurable gauge on the T1000, can be displayed.

As far as what exact gauges are available on the display you'll have to call DiabloSport for the list. They don't list them all on their website.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I went with the Superchips, is there something else I could get that will have a display like the T1000 that shows all of the extra parameters ( fuel pressure,trans temp, times and so on ) Not a tuner just a add on display.

Also does the T1000 and the superchips do away with the speed limiter?

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does this get hooked up? Is it a lot of wiring? and do they make a pod/Mount for the pillar? I dont want to cut the truck up if I dont have to.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So how does this plan sound,

Super chips tuner ( Not sure which model yet I see they have new one coming out )

And either Single or Dual Gauge

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor

Single i can mount with SRT Pillar if I can find color, Not sure how id mount dual gauge as i really want to keep my handle.

Super chip seems to get better reviews and Id rather have gauges then a GPS looking like thing sitting on dash, And the cost will be about the same for either package.

What do you guys think?

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
If you don't plan on custom tuning then def' go that route. SC has some choice custom trans tuning though but not sure if that will be available depending on your build year.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I buy a dual Aero force gauge package can I disconnect one gauge and only use one now and save the other for later? When i figure out how I want to mount it?

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed it today, I have not had time to test it. Ill report back when I do.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got around to downloading a tune in the truck, There was a issue with the programmer at first as there was no Tow Tune, after speaking with SC They got me reprogrammed and on my way.

I installed the 93 Tune and disabled or raised the speed limiter as it is not very clear as to what it does.

The truck seems more responsive and I did pick up about 1.5 MPG. I guess it is ok for the money but I would not say it is night and day difference. I may try to mess with tranny tune a bit and see what that does. I do wish it was a little quicker to do as it takes 20-30 min to change tunes.