06 2500 headunit upgrade/ speakers dont work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsPastYa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2006 dodge ram 2500 with the "premium" package. Infinity, Non nav, and dvd player. I got a new head unit so i could use an aux/USB port for different music, well i got the power and ground hooked up to hook up the speakers, and non of them work. I made sure it wasnt just the head unit by hooking up a speaker directly to it and it worked, so for some reason my speakers arent working when i hook up wires, i also cant find a wiring diagram for the premium setup also. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you use a wiring adapter or just make connections to the factory wires?

You may need to enable to factory amplifier, or bypass it.

OP
OP
C

CumminsPastYa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I cut the old wires and connected them straight to the new ones

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I cut the old wires and connected them straight to the new ones

And there is the problem. From 2005 1/2 on our trucks have the Can-Bus system, which is a massive problem. You have to use an adaptor to hook up an aftermarket headunit into all trucks from 2005 1/2 on or you will run into just what you have. No sound from the speakers. The Can-Bus system is extremely picky. I suggest you go here and get the correct adaptor for your truck: Pac-audio.com Products | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Here is the page you need to look over to get the correct adaptor:

Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

OP
OP
C

CumminsPastYa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
And there is the problem. From 2005 1/2 on our trucks have the Can-Bus system, which is a massive problem. You have to use an adaptor to hook up an aftermarket headunit into all trucks from 2005 1/2 on or you will run into just what you have. No sound from the speakers. The Can-Bus system is extremely picky. I suggest you go here and get the correct adaptor for your truck: Pac-audio.com Products | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Here is the page you need to look over to get the correct adaptor:

Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I went there and there where no "Vehicle Specific Harnesses", am i looking in the right category? also, since my factory wires are now cut, how can an adapter help me?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
since they are cut and the infinity amp probably not turning on. Just get some good speaker wire and rerun new wires to each speaker and be done with it

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seeing as the factory wires are cut you will need to replace the infinity harness. It is a separate piece that connects the infinity amp to the radio and the main factory wire harness.

This is the adaptor that you will need: Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Be aware that you will not be able to fade the music anymore with any adaptor.

To get the correct factory replacement harness you will need to go to the dealership. get the factory number for the infinity harness, then post it here. I know a couple places that should have it at a much reduced price than dealership. The actual harness for the infinity system is a separate piece from the main interior wiring harness and will not be real easy to replace, but it should be replaced. Get the number and post it here then I can look it up from my sources.

OP
OP
C

CumminsPastYa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Seeing as the factory wires are cut you will need to replace the infinity harness. It is a separate piece that connects the infinity amp to the radio and the main factory wire harness.

This is the adaptor that you will need: Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Be aware that you will not be able to fade the music anymore with any adaptor.

To get the correct factory replacement harness you will need to go to the dealership. get the factory number for the infinity harness, then post it here. I know a couple places that should have it at a much reduced price than dealership. The actual harness for the infinity system is a separate piece from the main interior wiring harness and will not be real easy to replace, but it should be replaced. Get the number and post it here then I can look it up from my sources.

The wires are not cut completely, i just cut off right where they went in to the connector that went into the back of the head unit. Shouldnt i be able to just plug the factory wires back into the factory connector and plug it back into the stock radio? Im taking the aftermarket one back

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The wires are not cut completely, i just cut off right where they went in to the connector that went into the back of the head unit. Shouldnt i be able to just plug the factory wires back into the factory connector and plug it back into the stock radio? Im taking the aftermarket one back

Only if the actual metal connectors have not been cut off. If they have you might be able to go to radio shack and find the correct metal pieces that go inside the plastic connector and do it that way. Seeing as it may only be the connector that was cut off you may be able to get a splice kit from the dealership instead of a whole wiring kit. Just let them know what happened where it is cut off and they should be able to get the piece you need. If the dealership can get just the connector with a few inches of wire on it, do not just butt splice the wires together unless you have too. Soldering the splice is much better and will last a LONG time. But that is only if you fell competent soldering almost 2 dozen wires.