06 5.7 clunk going from 4-wheel to 2-wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowgambit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As title says, I have an 06 5.7 hemi quad cab 4x4. Recently I was driving in crappy weather and had it in 4 wheel drive. when roads got better I put it back into 2 wheel at about 45 miles an hour. I started to accelerate again and it felt like something was binding so I let off the gas. As I did, there was a clunk and there was no more bind. This has happened a few more times since then. I have also noticed that every once in a while going around a corner I feel like something in the front end is shifting side to side as I take a corner. Any ideas? Im thinking drive line issues or something in the transfer case.

Thanks for any help in advance

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
My old kia used to clunk occasionally when going from 4low to AWD in certain conditions. Had your 4wd light extinguished before you hit the gas?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

snowgambit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I make sure it goes out before I get on it.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I will take a stab at this one. It might be bearings or cv joints. They do fail and no one knows exactly when they will do that. Start by checking the CV and U-joints in the front end. There should be little to no movement at all when you try to rotate the axle, check with your truck on the ground first, then on a jack. Bearings are a bit more involved though. You have to remove the wheels to get to them and inspect them. If they have failed it will be rather obvious, but if they are just starting to fail then you may see metal shavings in the grease which they should be packed in.