10” sub decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Not really. I prefer to go with brands I know. I had a JL10W7 and it was impressive.
If that's the case, get the 10w6v3 for more of a musical sub, or the 10w7 like you had before if you want a bit more output/performance while sounding good too.
Those two subs sound better than anything RF is putting out currently....with the exception of some older solobarics

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that's the case, get the 10w6v3 for more of a musical sub, or the 10w7 like you had before if you want a bit more output/performance while sounding good too.
Those two subs sound better than anything RF is putting out currently....with the exception of some older solobarics

RF Solobarics... a unicorn if I ever saw one.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
RF Solobarics... a unicorn if I ever saw one.
They were nice subs. You know RF can reproduce that gem but choose not to. My friend has one NIB but won't part with it

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should be able to help...

I bought my truck and it had a stealthbox with the JL10w3v3, LC2i, and JL speakers. I fiddled around with the LC2i without knowing what I was doing and quickly blew the JL103w3 from clipping it to hell. I got too jumpy and bought a JL10W6v2 off craigslist and a JLXD600/1v2 to power it. Put it in the stealthbox and it sounded worse than the W3 and didn't have the oomph.

I then thought screw it, since I was wanting more oomph, I'll buy a brand new JL10W6v3 and maybe run them both. Out of curiosity, I threw the new W6V3 in the stealthbox while I waited for JL to respond as to whether or not it's sufficient for the W6V3 and it was a tiny improvement over the W3v3. JL came back and said no, don't do that, not enough spacing for cooling. So at this point, I said screw it again, bought another 10W6v3 and a fox acoustics box ( 2-10 ported, which I don't even see on their site anymore) and a Rockford Fosgate R1200 1D to power them since the JL amps get super expensive once you start hitting higher wattage, and a PAC AP4-CH41 AmpPro to protect my expensive setup from clipping and provide upgradability for better speakers in the future.

SO... my thoughts...
  • You said there was a used JL W6 on ebay, but it links to a sundown. Either way, I would make sure you get a v3, or you would be better off with a cheaper 10W3v3 depending on price
  • Fox boxes are nice... My only gripe is that the sub compartment portion that sits in your storage area under the seats comes detached in a separate box for shipping. This means you have to caulk (self provided) and screw them in. I didn't really test my fitment and my driver side is aligned a little awkward and makes the box sit a little higher, so it required more washers to raise for clearance. The spray bed liner is a nice tough and ensures to leaks elsewhere, but since you still have to caulk yourself, there is a chance for leaks. I would have paid more to have it fully assembled and fully sprayed. This may be different for a single box, but I would verify.
  • Can't go wrong with JL10W6v3, it's super tight and responsive even with a ported box imo, but I don't have a ton of experience to compare it to. I do still have some rattling that I need to take care of with some dynomat, especially from the overhead console area.
All that said... I have the following available to sell ya if you're interested....

• JL XD600/1v2
  • JL XD300/1v2
  • JL 10W6v2
  • JL 10W3v3 - blown

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went this route and I will be installing it tom.

Key part to remember is it doesn't matter how good the sub is... it has to play well with the sub box and the cubic feet of the box or it wont sound right.

I went with the Alpine Type S and I also chose the smaller driver side box (vented Foxbox). I couldnt give up the 60% of my fold flat flooring that the passenger side has. If you dont have the flooring go with the passenger side box... they are bigger and will be able to handle a bigger sub.

Just make sure you match up the air requirements of the sub to the boxes :)

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just went this route and I will be installing it tom.

Key part to remember is it doesn't matter how good the sub is... it has to play well with the sub box and the cubic feet of the box or it wont sound right.

I went with the Alpine Type S and I also chose the smaller driver side box (vented Foxbox). I couldnt give up the 60% of my fold flat flooring that the passenger side has. If you dont have the flooring go with the passenger side box... they are bigger and will be able to handle a bigger sub.

Just make sure you match up the air requirements of the sub to the boxes :)

And that's exactly why I went with the JL stealth box dual 10's. Yes a little pricey, but not second guessing cubic feet or anything, the quality of the subs and the box is outstanding, they hit hard , and the are clear and super clean tight precise bass. You get what you pay for.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And that's exactly why I went with the JL stealth box dual 10's. Yes a little pricey, but not second guessing cubic feet or anything, the quality of the subs and the box is outstanding, they hit hard , and the are clear and super clean tight precise bass. You get what you pay for.

Yup agreed. You can get a W7 but if the box is to small your just throwing out money that you could save. Sometimes less is better...Gotta match them up!

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Im pretty sure kicker made solo-barics. Haha

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should be able to help...

I bought my truck and it had a stealthbox with the JL10w3v3, LC2i, and JL speakers. I fiddled around with the LC2i without knowing what I was doing and quickly blew the JL103w3 from clipping it to hell. I got too jumpy and bought a JL10W6v2 off craigslist and a JLXD600/1v2 to power it. Put it in the stealthbox and it sounded worse than the W3 and didn't have the oomph.

I then thought screw it, since I was wanting more oomph, I'll buy a brand new JL10W6v3 and maybe run them both. Out of curiosity, I threw the new W6V3 in the stealthbox while I waited for JL to respond as to whether or not it's sufficient for the W6V3 and it was a tiny improvement over the W3v3. JL came back and said no, don't do that, not enough spacing for cooling. So at this point, I said screw it again, bought another 10W6v3 and a fox acoustics box ( 2-10 ported, which I don't even see on their site anymore) and a Rockford Fosgate R1200 1D to power them since the JL amps get super expensive once you start hitting higher wattage, and a PAC AP4-CH41 AmpPro to protect my expensive setup from clipping and provide upgradability for better speakers in the future.

SO... my thoughts...
  • You said there was a used JL W6 on ebay, but it links to a sundown. Either way, I would make sure you get a v3, or you would be better off with a cheaper 10W3v3 depending on price
  • Fox boxes are nice... My only gripe is that the sub compartment portion that sits in your storage area under the seats comes detached in a separate box for shipping. This means you have to caulk (self provided) and screw them in. I didn't really test my fitment and my driver side is aligned a little awkward and makes the box sit a little higher, so it required more washers to raise for clearance. The spray bed liner is a nice tough and ensures to leaks elsewhere, but since you still have to caulk yourself, there is a chance for leaks. I would have paid more to have it fully assembled and fully sprayed. This may be different for a single box, but I would verify.
  • Can't go wrong with JL10W6v3, it's super tight and responsive even with a ported box imo, but I don't have a ton of experience to compare it to. I do still have some rattling that I need to take care of with some dynomat, especially from the overhead console area.
All that said... I have the following available to sell ya if you're interested....

• JL XD600/1v2
  • JL XD300/1v2
  • JL 10W6v2
  • JL 10W3v3 - blown

Thanks man, im looking at the 10W6V3. I should have mentioned that.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want volume... plenty of stuff from Sundown would put a W7 to shame. A W6v3 is a very musical sub, I don't if anything from Sundown can match the SQ, but again their target audience is more SPL.

I have never heard a sundown sub. But I have never heard any 10 louder than a 10W7. My mind is made up, its either a 10W6V3 or the rockford T1 10” sub. Giy on here is waiting on his rockford T1 subs to come in, so he can compare them to the 10W6V3.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All good, let me know if your interested in the JL600/1v2 to power it.

It will be a while before buy a sub/box/amp, Im just doing my research on these two subs now. But i will let you know about that amp. I have spent enough money on my ram. Now its time to throw some at my quad. Gotta buy a $550 Dura blue extended rear axle, and afford $12/gallon VP 112 octane race gas for it. Haha.

C006E003-05BF-4D6A-88CB-CDA19BC7C53D.jpeg

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will be a while before buy a sub/box/amp, Im just doing my research on these two subs now. But i will let you know about that amp. I have spent enough money on my ram. Now its time to throw some at my quad. Gotta buy a $550 Dura blue extended rear axle, and afford $12/gallon VP 112 octane race gas for it. Haha.

View attachment 131737
Sweet! I hear ya... I'm moving and have to rebuild my garage amongst other expenditures.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 131737

If it runs on race gas you’ll probably want an extended swing arm. This is my old quad and the rack I had built for my truck.

82E99D59-BFD4-470E-ABAA-AA506265CD54.jpeg

A22CBE7E-4C56-4E4D-8B8F-51807F34DBDB.jpeg

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never heard a sundown sub. But I have never heard any 10 louder than a 10W7. My mind is made up, its either a 10W6V3 or the rockford T1 10” sub. Giy on here is waiting on his rockford T1 subs to come in, so he can compare them to the 10W6V3.

If your time/money/mind allows, I would highly suggest expanding and opening your options. There are numerous subs that would make the W7 sound like a baby. While JL has top notch R&D and quality, there is a lot out there that offers more bang for your buck.

Sundown has been around since the mid-2000s. A kid named Jacob Fuller from the car audio forums got tired of paying high prices for crap and decided to make his own amplifier. It was cost effective, powerful, and under-rated. It quickly grow into a line-up of multiple amplifiers and a few years later he started building subwoofers and speakers. His amps/subs have been winning competitions for guys for over a decade now. This company is getting big and give them another 10-20 years and they will be a household name. I have already seen there popularity grow with more and more customers asking me about them. https://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers-2

Other companies out there putting loud subwoofers include Digital Designs (last I checked, held the world record at 182.x dB), Sound Solutions Audio, FI Car Audio, and many others. Some of these guys are making pretty cool innovations. If you get time check out the FI BTL NEO, or the Sundown Nightshade. Even smaller innovations such as Digital Designs running 8 gauge directly to the tinsel leads have been pretty beneficial. Of course when people are putting 10,000 watts to the subwoofer, you need options like that. None of the "name brand" companies (Kicker, JL, RF, etc.) make subwoofers that are even in the same class as these guys top end woofers, in terms of SPL. The same could be said for sound quality, there are so many good options out there, it is ridiculous.