'12 Express (RCSB) - McGaughy's 2/4 Deluxe Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shostopper17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Looks great mine will be done by next spring hopefully

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express (RCSB)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks great OP, how does your truck feel around the corners and are you still encountering any rubbing/clearance issues with your stock wheels/tires?

Thanks! Truck rides and feels really nice. Pretty similar to stock, but I only had mine stock for a few hundred miles, haha. I do like it being a lot easier to get in and out of, and when loading the bed; dirt bike, bicycles, other equipment, etc. This weekend I had to use my truck for a catering job; 6' x 50' roll of carpet; two packed, big ice chests; and a bunch of heavy garbage bags... no issues.

It does a get little bouncy over expansion joints on concrete highways, but on most highways and streets it rides really smooth. It corners well considering I'm on stock tires and no rear sway bar. If you went with 22's, lower profile tires, and a rear swaybar, it will dramatically improve cornering. I feel the main thing limiting cornering now is tire roll, not body roll. Just can't justify getting new wheels yet, urrrrrr.

The only clearance issue I had came from not cutting down the stock rear bump stop after dropping the rear. Once I trimmed that, it hasn't touched since. These Rams are tall in stock form, I'm about the same ground clearance as a co-workers stock '04 Silverado right now. IMO, not low enough. :naughty:

I've had very rare and circumstantial rubbing issues from hitting sharp dips or bumps at high speeds. They are working on a lot of highways in my area and have those ridiculously sharp "transition" areas, where they build up asphalt to join uneven sections. When I hit those too fast or drop off one, the front passenger tire tends to hit the top of plastic fender liner. If I am able to slow down enough, I can get over them without issue.

I'm completely satisfied with the way it turned out. I wish it were actually lower, but even right now you see and feel the difference, and looks really sporty. New wheels would certainly set it off more. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

RyeRey521

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
Very nice truck OP... I am in thr process of deciding if I want a level or 2/4 drop.... I have also owned droped pickups before and always felt myself loveing the look but being disappointed with the ride the lower I went. But from your experiances I may actually go for it. I have a QC though so I am not sure how it will change the experiance.

OP
OP
awwdude

awwdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express (RCSB)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: I ended up removing the BellTech drop because of handling issues. At higher speeds, the truck would begin to swap back and forth over bumps or dips in the road. Perhaps adding rear swaybar might have helped, but it was not a delightful experience. Took the truck to the dealer and customizing place, they both said it was too low in the rear and riding on the bump stops. Any excess force in the rear would cause the front end to get light and upset the vehicle dynamics. Their recommendation was return it back to stock like it was intended... or slow down.

I couldn't handle the idea of putting it back to stock, so I put 4" lift spindle, 1" rear spacer, and 37" all-terrains. Rides pretty great now and enjoy being to see over traffic, but it does have drawbacks.

Part of me wishes I had left everything alone and driven a well engineered truck as it was intended. These trucks just look too good lowered or lifted.