1500 - 37s and 4 inch or less lift Q&A + Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aside from your hub to fender being more than the 2.5" height over stock in the front you're numbers don't seem horrible. Front looks to be a bit stiff which is likely why it won't flex/stuff all the way but otherwise it seems like it should perform ok.

I'd have to dig in my build to compare icon specs at droop up front. Wonder if ucas with a better BJ would benefit you.

What's wrong with the lower mount? What exactly is your main issue with your current setup?

*edit*
Pg-88 in my build has icon specs. Hub to fender on your truck is an extra 2" longer at full droop. That's significant vs what stock trucks would be. Now im intrigued by the specs of your iron man coilovers

the issue i had, was the lower shock mount broke in some light desert offroading. I was with a group of subarus. While they are pretty capable(I used to drive one). The fact I broke something doing the same thing, and they didnt pissed me off.
When i contacted ironman(unlimited mile 4 year warranty) they have taken their time to get me replacements. Thankfully I already had my old set, that they had set replacements for because they have an internal squeak. They have yet to send a new set for the broken ones. For being the “strongest shocks on the market” I sure tested that, and they definitely dont back their warranty.

As for the BJ, they gave me a brand new set of UCA’s, their previous sets for all models had a nationwide recall for premature failures. This new set has Moog BJ’s and the articulation is already far greater than the old set.

Im going to figure out a way to strengthen that Lower mounting point, and then i should be good until i can fork out some money to start all over with new suspension, since they wont warranty anything, and my truck just sounds like a squeaking nightmare front and rear.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 71849913026__2894674A-E062-4D44-9459-F717E64608E8.jpeg
    71849913026__2894674A-E062-4D44-9459-F717E64608E8.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 10
  • 71849917371__351F1AF1-DC04-4B4F-A720-169F730619A3.jpeg
    71849917371__351F1AF1-DC04-4B4F-A720-169F730619A3.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 10

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any light offroading and light rock crawling, they will more than suffice, but if you try to take a couple whoops at 10-15 mph, they are just gonna snap. I will add, they had about 14k miles on them, mostly highway.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any light offroading and light rock crawling, they will more than suffice, but if you try to take a couple whoops at 10-15 mph, they are just gonna snap. I will add, they had about 14k miles on them, mostly highway.
That shouldnt just snap. They either have them way underbuilt (dosnt really appear to be) or something is not right…like the bumpstops need to be longer and you are using your shocks for bumpstops instead.

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That shouldnt just snap. They either have them way underbuilt (dosnt really appear to be) or something is not right…like the bumpstops need to be longer and you are using your shocks for bumpstops instead.
Yeah, the bumpstops are about 3-4 inches long. I believe it may be preloaded too much
The other attributing factor, i believe, is all longer travel struts have a spherical bearing up top, and that connects to the tophat, i.e King, Icon, Fox, Carbon. The tophat is fixed for mine. And with the travel being so much, i feel like it was too much for the shock, if you see the photo with them together, the tophat is off centered, and the entire strut is bent.

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, the bumpstops are about 3-4 inches long. I believe it may be preloaded too much
The other attributing factor, i believe, is all longer travel struts have a spherical bearing up top, and that connects to the tophat, i.e King, Icon, Fox, Carbon. The tophat is fixed for mine. And with the travel being so much, i feel like it was too much for the shock, if you see the photo with them together, the tophat is off centered, and the entire strut is bent.
Not to mention, all those brands, also have some sort of bracing on the top portion of the lower mount, to help strengthen it. Im
Hoping Ironman will make it right, and send me all the pieces of my kit that are making noise, rear springs are singular rate and ping and clank when moving. And rear shocks squeak. Its just a full nightmare my instagram is
Advntr.ram, i dont know how to link some videos here, but you could check out the videos of stuff ive done, nothing too crazy whatsoever

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the bumpstop length

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had icons installed for a matter of hours, straight garbage. 1/2” or less of up travel, super heavy spring rate, rode like bricks. Ditched them for bilstein 5100s and have had no complaints. JBA ucas. Rear coil spacer with fox shocks, Hellwig, adjustable track bar and sway links in the rear. Need to pick up the suspensionmaxx front sway links some day. It’s not much but handles whatever I throw at it well. From towing and road trips to sand dunes and mud holes. A few pics of it on 37x13.5 for relevancy to this thread lol, as well as some older pics from this summer. Was just temporary for kicks and giggles, the 285/70/17 are more adequate for my needs.

IMG_8975.jpeg

IMG_8977.jpeg

IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had icons installed for a matter of hours, straight garbage. 1/2” or less of up travel, super heavy spring rate, rode like bricks. Ditched them for bilstein 5100s and have had no complaints. JBA ucas. Rear coil spacer with fox shocks, Hellwig, adjustable track bar and sway links in the rear. Need to pick up the suspensionmaxx front sway links some day. It’s not much but handles whatever I throw at it well. From towing and road trips to sand dunes and mud holes. A few pics of it on 37x13.5 for relevancy to this thread lol, as well as some older pics from this summer. Was just temporary for kicks and giggles, the 285/70/17 are more adequate for my needs.

View attachment 532789

View attachment 532790

View attachment 532791

View attachment 532792
Yeah what ive heard about the icon is they are really valved for someone who wants to go fast offroad, the ironmans have been pretty good ride quality wise, just trying to figure out what i can get out of this suspension, just hard when i The real world tester lol

Attachments

• IMG_8106.png
    IMG_8106.png
    88 KB · Views: 6

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
the issue i had, was the lower shock mount broke in some light desert offroading. I was with a group of subarus. While they are pretty capable(I used to drive one). The fact I broke something doing the same thing, and they didnt pissed me off.
When i contacted ironman(unlimited mile 4 year warranty) they have taken their time to get me replacements. Thankfully I already had my old set, that they had set replacements for because they have an internal squeak. They have yet to send a new set for the broken ones. For being the “strongest shocks on the market” I sure tested that, and they definitely dont back their warranty.

As for the BJ, they gave me a brand new set of UCA’s, their previous sets for all models had a nationwide recall for premature failures. This new set has Moog BJ’s and the articulation is already far greater than the old set.

Im going to figure out a way to strengthen that Lower mounting point, and then i should be good until i can fork out some money to start all over with new suspension, since they wont warranty anything, and my truck just sounds like a squeaking nightmare front and rear.
Omg. Do you still have them? If so I'm curious if the physical dimension of them. Its like their length is incorrect. Looking at the way the ear on the lower mount is bent/flared out it took direct load as if bottomed out. I feel like they're stuff is hyped up and definitely over priced. Gigantic body twin tube shocks are nothing special. Its even worse without any customer service. I really hope you get it resolved and can get into a new setup.

View attachment 532789

View attachment 532790

View attachment 532791

View attachment 532792
Its crazy that you had such a big issue with the icons, did you get the 2.5" lift with them? Dm me if you're for sure looking for smaxx links I have a set I mothballed last year and ill not need again as I lowered my truck enough to not need them. Also, is that the hooke road bumper?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Omg. Do you still have them? If so I'm curious if the physical dimension of them. Its like their length is incorrect. Looking at the way the ear on the lower mount is bent/flared out it took direct load as if bottomed out. I feel like they're stuff is hyped up and definitely over priced. Gigantic body twin tube shocks are nothing special. Its even worse without any customer service. I really hope you get it resolved and can get into a new setup.

Its crazy that you had such a big issue with the icons, did you get the 2.5" lift with them? Dm me if you're for sure looking for smaxx links I have a set I mothballed last year and ill not need again as I lowered my truck enough to not need them. Also, is that the hooke road bumper?
Yes, the icons were at the 2.5” height they ship at. I tried every email address I could find to contact them about it and never got a response, after a couple weeks I resorted to leaving negative comments on every social media post they made, that got their attention fast. They sent me a 2nd set for free to shut me up lol. I didn’t bother trying to install them the 2nd time, instead I sold both the used and new sets on marketplace and was able to get my money back that way.

I’ll send you a pm. Yes that’s a new bumper they just recently came out with, I really like it. Going to get a light bar to replace that mesh grille in the middle of it.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes, the icons were at the 2.5” height they ship at. I tried every email address I could find to contact them about it and never got a response, after a couple weeks I resorted to leaving negative comments on every social media post they made, that got their attention fast. They sent me a 2nd set for free to shut me up lol. I didn’t bother trying to install them the 2nd time, instead I sold both the used and new sets on marketplace and was able to get my money back that way.

I’ll send you a pm. Yes that’s a new bumper they just recently came out with, I really like it. Going to get a light bar to replace that mesh grille in the middle of it.
I did find your icon posts after I wrote that reply. That's interesting but there's so much variation in these trucks I'm not surprised. Glad the 5100s worked out and there a always 6112s if you really wanna get wild on the dunes.

I really like how that bumper looks. Nice and simple.

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did find your icon posts after I wrote that reply. That's interesting but there's so much variation in these trucks I'm not surprised. Glad the 5100s worked out and there a always 6112s if you really wanna get wild on the dunes.

I really like how that bumper looks. Nice and simple.
I was actually an affiliate for hooke road dont know if my code still works.

Im in the works for a hybrid style bumper that utilizes the factory valence. Its going to be made by Rigid Armor, Right here in Sunny SoCal. He is the one who made the tire rack specifically for our trucks, since the rear bumpers have a different type of clearance than a Tundra.

I also do still have the broken suspension, but i have the previous set that they originally sent with internal noise on the truck now.
Im most likely gonna go to Carbon shocks, or just pick up whatever cheap set if struts I can find. For now the Ironman will Suffice, as it gives me the travel for the slower stuff. Anything with slight whoops probably will snap the lower mount again…

Its hard when I enjoy driving faster in the desert, but also enjoy crawling on rocks

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both the broken suspension, and the one on my truck now measured out to be exactly the same. So im thinking of just lessening the preload how ever much will be a half inch for our trucks. My 37’s would still clear at full bump, and ive done all the grinding necessary already.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Im in the works for a hybrid style bumper that utilizes the factory valence. Its going to be made by Rigid Armor, Right here in Sunny SoCal. He is the one who made the tire rack specifically for our trucks, since the rear bumpers have a different type of clearance than a Tundra.

I also do still have the broken suspension, but i have the previous set that they originally sent with internal noise on the truck now.
Im most likely gonna go to Carbon shocks, or just pick up whatever cheap set if struts I can find. For now the Ironman will Suffice, as it gives me the travel for the slower stuff. Anything with slight whoops probably will snap the lower mount again…

Its hard when I enjoy driving faster in the desert, but also enjoy crawling on rocks
Interested to hear more about this new bumper, any chance you could share pics or not that far into the process yet?

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You should pop over to DTX. They have a few 1500's that Boogie with them. They have some information on Carbon and Daniel Sach is a member of the Facebook group. However wear thick skin, they're a rather brash bunch. Once they figure out you're serious they'll invite you in with welcome arms.

They are going to ride you pretty hard for the Ironman parts. If you can get past that you'll be in great hands.

Hell they've ridden me for the AEV lift. And I'm friggin more than happy with mine.

Last edited:

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interested to hear more about this new bumper, any chance you could share pics or not that far into the process yet?
Ill definitely share pics when it gets made i am going to mocked up this week.

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should pop over to DTX. They have a few 1500's that Boogie with them. They have some information on Carbon and Daniel Sach is a member of the Facebook group. However wear thick skin, they're a rather brash bunch. Once they figure out you're serious they'll invite you in with welcome arms.

They are going to ride you pretty hard for the Ironman parts. If you can get past that you'll be in great hands.

Hell they've ridden me for the AEV lift. And I'm friggin more than happy with mine.

Im definitely gonna check out that group, when i was shopping for new suspension,
because my airride gave out all the companies had insane lead time and ironman was the only company that had anything in stock.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

That's pretty cool, def glad to see more options available. When I was looking a couple years ago the options were there but still limited. I don't need anything heavy duty, just wanna lose the dopey chrome.

How do you like the front sway bar being removed. Been considering trying that and upgrading my rear to a hellwig.

Check out thuren suspension too. He is a wizard.

If you do go to DTX just understand its hazing 24/7 and you'll be good. It used to be much worse. Lol

Nanaue4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's pretty cool, def glad to see more options available. When I was looking a couple years ago the options were there but still limited. I don't need anything heavy duty, just wanna lose the dopey chrome.

How do you like the front sway bar being removed. Been considering trying that and upgrading my rear to a hellwig.

Check out thuren suspension too. He is a wizard.

If you do go to DTX just understand its hazing 24/7 and you'll be good. It used to be much worse. Lol
Yeah i was looking possibly the thuren fab uppers and his tuned kings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93