1500 Gas Vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daperp

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
All of you have been so helpful thus far with my questions...

Looking to buy a new 1500 crew cab and down to debating the gas vs diesel.

Diesel is the additional 4K for the engine and the cost of diesel in NJ has yet to come down unlike gas. Gas has come down almost 60 cents more than the diesel.

I commute approx 120mi round trip

Any input and commentary would be appreciated.

Thanks

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know in the last thread you mentioned trailering your bike, but didn't specify any other trailering needs.

With what you have described given the long daily commute, the EcoDiesel is a perfect fit in my eyes. What you will gain:

1. Better loaded and unloaded fuel mileage
2. Likely better longevity
3. Decent towing ability

What you will possibly lose over gas

1. The Hemi is more powerful. For now.
2. Diesel is pricier in some areas
3. The DEF... what a pain in the ass
4. Servicing may cost a bit more- some other members would have to verify

I went with a Hemi because the ED wasn't available yet here, and the diesel fuel prices are always higher- substantially- so it didn't make sense. Our climate is colder than a witches tit in winter, so diesels don't make sense unless you are running them most of the day and working them. I would love the ED, but financially I couldn't make it pay. However I commute about 4 miles a day. 120 miles a day? That is going to pay for itself pretty quickly I would say.

Just my $.02

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That's a Pretty hefty commute. Last time a did the math on it the diesel will pay for its self in about 100k mile give or take in the price fluctuation in fuel cost. With that being said your looking at pay back after 3 years witch is pretty good. Normally I'm against the diesel due to potential high repair costs, and long pay off period. If you drive 35k miles a year I wouldn't hesitate to get the diesel.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How often do you like to get into the skinny pedal? Hemi would be better for those spirited driving sessions.

OP
OP
D

daperp

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
All of my mileage is done via Highway except for sitting in standstill traffic for approximately 15 miles. I tend to hit the skinny pedal as you like to call it from time to time average speeds between 60 and 80 mph

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
"People want economy and they will pay any price to get it." (Lee Iacocca)

At 36,000 miles per year. Splitting the difference between combined and highway mileage you will be looking at around 1440 gallons of diesel or 1565 (V6) to 1800 (V8) gallons of gas.
Annual fuel cost at today's prices in NJ would be:
$4896 Diesel
$4695 V6 Gas
$5400 V8 Gas

Saving $504 a year over the V8 will pay for the $4000 engine premium in 8 years.

The V6 Pentastar has plenty of power for trailering a bike. And will cost less up front and less to operate each year than the diesel or the Hemi.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You also have to consider the hemi's premium of 1100 over the v6 and it's only 2900 over the cost of them hemi. With today's gas prices it would take a while, when I did my math last was a while ago and gas was over 3.50 a gallon. With today's gas prices and the premium for the Eco diesel at this time may not be the best. I will bet fuel goes to over 3.50 a gallon when summer hits.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
diesel will be cheaper in the long run and probably last longer. resale value will also be a good bit better. where the ecodiesel really shines is towing, gas engines love to drink when under load but diesel runs at lower rpm so maintains fuel economy. the ecodiesel puts out slightly more torque but for some reason tow ratings are slightly less then the hemi

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
V6 pentastar unless you're towing most of those 120 miles.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
a plug for the Hemi, that would be the addition of the newish 8speed. Happy hunting from the land of frozen brass monkies.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I agree with the v6 comment..it makes the most sense fiscally. Its cheaper to buy which could mean even more bells and whistles and the only time you'll be disappointed with mpg will be while towing but a bike might not even strain it enough to dip mpgs more than a couple points

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I posted some really deep analysis of residuals on used truck diesels across the brands, with focus on early data on the Eco diesel. The business cases are very incomplete above. The big 3 brands' 3/4 ton diesels see break even if about 2 years at only 11.7k miles per year and including gas vs diesel gallon prices that favor the gas vs long time differentials.

Residual value retained in diesels vs gas engine are more valuable than fuel savings. So paying 8 grand more for a diesel and trans is paid back by mostly by residuals, allowing fuel savings to easily cover cheap DEF fluid and higher oil change costs.

The Eco diesel, and reasonable assumption, the payback is less than 1 year. Giving very favorable assumption to the hemi, and payback is 1.9 years.

This included giving rebates to the hemi that the diesel didn't see.

The only time that diesel doesn't pay back is if you severely overpay and give the dealer excess profit, as is seen when some don't plan their Eco diesel purchase ahead of time.

Take a look at my analysis on the ram 1500 diesel forum or the ram firumz forum.

The v6 gas has poor residuals and requires gas savings beyond 2 years to get break even vs Hemi, and this includes lower purchase price.

Eco diesel is lowest owning and operating cost, unless you severely overpay.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I posted some really deep analysis of residuals on used truck diesels across the brands, with focus on early data on the Eco diesel. The business cases are very incomplete above. The big 3 brands' 3/4 ton diesels see break even if about 2 years at only 11.7k miles per year and including gas vs diesel gallon prices that favor the gas vs long time differentials.

Residual value retained in diesels vs gas engine are more valuable than fuel savings. So paying 8 grand more for a diesel and trans is paid back by mostly by residuals, allowing fuel savings to easily cover cheap DEF fluid and higher oil change costs.

The Eco diesel, and reasonable assumption, the payback is less than 1 year. Giving very favorable assumption to the hemi, and payback is 1.9 years.

This included giving rebates to the hemi that the diesel didn't see.

The only time that diesel doesn't pay back is if you severely overpay and give the dealer excess profit, as is seen when some don't plan their Eco diesel purchase ahead of time.

Take a look at my analysis on the ram 1500 diesel forum or the ram firumz forum.

The v6 gas has poor residuals and requires gas savings beyond 2 years to get break even vs Hemi, and this includes lower purchase price.

Eco diesel is lowest owning and operating cost, unless you severely overpay.

Yep I can see your point, I was only looking at operating cost. It's because i keep them till the wheels fall off before I replace them. If you are going to trade in or resell then you need to calculate everything like you have.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Same here the only resale this truck will have is when i rebuild it to be rediculous and even then...no one is getting my truck

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

While I understand that the Hemi can be hungry when towing. I also feel it merits mention that I hauled 1500 lbs of wood for a 120 round trip and averaged 17.5 mpg. Now I understand that a trailer has drag where a load does not but all three of these trucks are built around different operating parameters. The Hemi is the most powerful and hungry. It also has the best weight distribution for off road, trail use.
The V-6 is the economical truck to run and from all I have read it gets good mileage for a full size truck. As a matter of fact it gets better mileage than my wife's Canyon 2.9 5 speed used to.
The Eco diesel is a value keeper and also has good torque and mileage numbers. But there are repair and maintenance costs involved. If you are going to trade it off in a few years the diesel balances best, if you are going to run it into the ground the v-6, if you want power and capability the Hemi.
I have the Hemi and would not trade it off for much of anything. It is an awesome truck and I will eat the gas costs for the knowledge that there is little that I could throw at this truck that it won't do. And the power of that Hemi is just unreal.
Ultimatly OP, you are the only one who can say what is your best fit. My advice look around, test drive each, consider what is most important to YOU, then make an informed decision based on your impressions, needs, and wants.
Good luck in your search, and enjoy,

preachp

Jonesy08054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Turbo Diesel
As a diesel owner, I love mine. I've had it for about 3 months, and have 4,000 miles on it. One of my trips was from DC to Atlanta and back. Made it down on one tank of gas (little over 600 miles), and averaged 28 mpg doing 70-75 the whole way. The low end power for highway cruising is aweome. It doesn't have to downshift 3 gears to tap into the power. At 1,500rpm, you are already fully there. You drive a diesel differently than you do a gas engine....it takes a while to fully appreciate those differences if you don't have that much experience with a diesel.

My daily drive to work is only 5 miles, and I'm still getting 23-24 mpg in those mixed conditions. Around town, it has more than enough power to get to the next red light. Towing, I have 2 jet skis; total weight around 3,000lbs. No problems with it whatsoever. On a 50 mile trip to the lake, I get around 22mpg.

I too though about getting the V6 gas engine, but you can't get that in the Limited trim. So for me, it was the diesel, no question. Yeah, it cost more than the Hemi, but I got the same rebate as the Hemi. $10K off sticker before we even started to haggle about final price. And I've had a lot of interest in parking lots about that "ecoDiesle" badge. Makes ya feel kinda special. :)

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I drive the pentastar. I love the mileage, I tow often, and take it for long trips. It is my daily driver. I wanted the ecodiesel but needed to go up another trim level and the cost for me was too great. I'm happier with the gas v6 for a few reasons but one of the mains is that I know I can swap parts myself whwn the time comes. Good kuck with your truck hunt.