18.5 mpg on 6.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Glad you all like your trucks. I'll say YET again, I love mine too. If I could have gotten another 5.9 CTD without stupid emissions stuff I would have gone a different direction. My two points AGAIN: average over 22k miles (at least some of the time it might have warmed up) barely over 10. Not the teens everyone claims. Sucks.

And there's no way two motors off the same assembly line should be 30% different. I drove 1.5 miles to the tavern I'm sitting at and water was 206 oil 186 and transmission 140. Not completely warm but a far cry from the ridiculous pilgrimage some are claiming to get warm. Over two years trips to work are less than 5k miles of the total. Believe the warmed up thing if you want but again I don't think that has much to do with it. Diesel got 16-17. People wanna hear what they wanna hear.

The original post was simply my observations on mileage. Driven a ram for 20 years but I can still call em like I see em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang man I get over 11 pulling my dump trailer.

Beardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Brand new 6.4 2500 HD here. Under 400 miles on truck, so far. First trip of any distance today (>85 miles). Mixture of 55-65 mph, several stop signs and a few red lights. Can't believe the milage, even if it is a couple MPG off.

Attachments

• Mileage.JPG
    Mileage.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 31

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at a 15 used 6.4L. 3500 went thru the evic at the dealership looks like averaged about 11 over 10k miles. Would there be any diff in mpgs on a 2500 vs 3500 with a 6.4?

Also for those who have the hemifever tune did you get some mpgs back? I have the tune in my 5.7 seemed to help after leveling and bigger tires althou could be more related to running 89 and up.

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looking at a 15 used 6.4L. 3500 went thru the evic at the dealership looks like averaged about 11 over 10k miles. Would there be any diff in mpgs on a 2500 vs 3500 with a 6.4?

Also for those who have the hemifever tune did you get some mpgs back? I have the tune in my 5.7 seemed to help after leveling and bigger tires althou could be more related to running 89 and up.

I average around 13 MPG's in my 3500. I get 11-12 in the winter and 14-16 in the summer with mixed highway and city driving.

My average really goes down when my wife drives it. She has a really heavy foot. I can get better than 16 if I drive it really nice on the 55-60 mph roads.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I did tow about 6,000 lbs of firewood on Friday, and in tow haul while driving 75 on the freeway I was only getting about 9-10 MPG's according to the EVIC.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Mine won't shift beyond 4th in T/H, so if it can pull the load in 5th without struggling I just run without T/H and limit it to 5th.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine won't shift beyond 4th in T/H, so if it can pull the load in 5th without struggling I just run without T/H and limit it to 5th.

That's weird. Mine will go to 5th in tow haul but I usually limit mine to 4th unless I'm running over 65.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You're killing me. It's a gas motor it's up to temp before it even gets on the freeway. When I drive it to Oregon what's up then? Still not quite warm? The thing is a gas guzzler. There's no way in 22000 miles it hasn't warmed up. I drove a 99 CTD on the same route for years an averaged 16-17. Again, I still love the truck, but it seems everyone is just making up reasons to defend poor performance. Just like the wrist pin rattle that Ram says is normal. If there are no chunks of metal in the oil you're good to go. Mileage started ****** and has remained ******. Must just be my truck.
I've hand calc'd better mileage than your 10mpg 6.4, while towing a 2.5k trailer with 8k pounds of batteries, with 37" tires and only 3.73 gears...don't know what's up with yours. With stock tires I could routinely hand calc 14-15, up to 16 if I'm driving pure highway (this is at 70-72mph). Ever since I put the 37's on the best I have hand calc'd is 13.5 (average is 12-12.5), but that's my normal daily driving. I'm sure I could get up to 14 with pure highway driving.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the MPG and the power...with 4.56 gears I'll be VERY happy.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm actually pretty pleased with the MPG and the power...with 4.56 gears I'll be VERY happy.

Can't wait to get 456s swapped in. What's your time frame? I'm hoping to get some reviews from those with 37s and 456s before I make the jump, may go for 488s.

Last tank, all city in tow haul I avg 10.6 with lots of aggressive driving, had a very long work weeks leaving with little patience. I think tow haul is great for driveability but it will eat up your mpgs especially with a heavier foot. This tank I'm on currently I've left tow haul off and tried to lock out 5th but it'll shift to 6th. Evic is showing 13.1 all city so I don't won't know details til next week

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Can't wait to get 456s swapped in. What's your time frame? I'm hoping to get some reviews from those with 37s and 456s before I make the jump, may go for 488s.

Last tank, all city in tow haul I avg 10.6 with lots of aggressive driving, had a very long work weeks leaving with little patience. I think tow haul is great for driveability but it will eat up your mpgs especially with a heavier foot. This tank I'm on currently I've left tow haul off and tried to lock out 5th but it'll shift to 6th. Evic is showing 13.1 all city so I don't won't know details til next week

I won't be entertaining it seriously until next year around tax time. I save up more than I need to (self employed, so I pay-in quarterly), so I always have a few thousand after taxes are paid in that savings account to sort of do as I please with. This year it was ICI bumpers and a couple extra house payments. Next year, gears (hopefully).

I keep my truck in 5th gear on the highway, around 2-2.1k rpm (68-72mph). It drives really easily in that range. With 4.56 gears I should hit 2k rpm at 75mph in 6th, which should work perfect.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've hand calc'd better mileage than your 10mpg 6.4, while towing a 2.5k trailer with 8k pounds of batteries, with 37" tires and only 3.73 gears...don't know what's up with yours. With stock tires I could routinely hand calc 14-15, up to 16 if I'm driving pure highway (this is at 70-72mph). Ever since I put the 37's on the best I have hand calc'd is 13.5 (average is 12-12.5), but that's my normal daily driving. I'm sure I could get up to 14 with pure highway driving.

Are you saying you hand calculate 14-15 mpg while towing the trailer and 8000 lbs. of load?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I won't be entertaining it seriously until next year around tax time. I save up more than I need to (self employed, so I pay-in quarterly), so I always have a few thousand after taxes are paid in that savings account to sort of do as I please with. This year it was ICI bumpers and a couple extra house payments. Next year, gears (hopefully).

I keep my truck in 5th gear on the highway, around 2-2.1k rpm (68-72mph). It drives really easily in that range. With 4.56 gears I should hit 2k rpm at 75mph in 6th, which should work perfect.

I'm self employed as well, do you see a benefit in paying quarterly or do you make a higher amount that quarterly is easier? Just curious as I pay yearly and it's kinda hard some times coming up with thousands hahaha

As far as the highway goes, that's exactly what I found last time I took a trip. 5th kept me right at 2k which was effortless on minor inclines and maintaining speed. I'll probably make the jump sooner than later, hopefully.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
The best MPG,s I have seen out of my 2016 Ram 6.4 with 3.73 gears are 17.6 mpg driving 55-60 mph.Maybe they are making better fuel mixtures in other parts of the USA:roflsquared:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Is there a way to make the truck stay in Eco mode longer or force it to come on with a tune? In my old Ecoboost my favorite custom tuner(5 Star) made a tune that would alter when the turbo boost kicked in under normal driving and not in tow/haul mode. It would essentially make the truck an N/A V6 until you mashed the pedal to the floor. Selecting tow/haul would make the truck drive normal. I didn't like the way it drove with less power, but I was able to increase mpg significantly when I had that tune loaded.

Just wondering if anyone has approached the Hemi-fever guys to see if they can do the same.

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My mpg is all over the place. In the winter I generally get 11-12 mpg. Now that its warmer I am running about 15-17. I live in the country so Im not doing much stop and go driving, and I do some interstates.

My wife always wants me to display mpg on the dash display. I keep telling her that the only thing that matters is the fuel gauge....if I get 11 mpg or 30 mpg, when I am out of gas the dammm thing stops.

I had a 2013 Ram 2500 with a 5.7 Hemi....once it got 22-24 mpg driving at 55-58 mph around lake michigan...flat and level

Last edited:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The best MPG,s I have seen out of my 2016 Ram 6.4 with 3.73 gears are 17.6 mpg driving 55-60 mph.Maybe they are making better fuel mixtures in other parts of the USA:roflsquared:

Nah more than likely they have different terrain, possibly a little more flat, lower altitude for a little better performance, more air in the tires, etc..

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I agree it's all about terrain, and speed. I get average 12-13mpg on my daily work commute which is stop and go for 45 mile round trip with hills.

Now last weekend I took a trip and averaged 50mph over about 100 miles and achieved 18mpg. That's my all time high over that much distance. If I get the speed up or climb hills you can watch the fuel mileage drop significantly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Update, i took my truck out on its first real highway run last weekend, about 15 miles each way. I had a little back roads driving on this tank prior.

My best MPG according to the display was 19. Yes that was running empty, but still. I was impressed since it's normally 10 on my daily commute