18.5 mpg on 6.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It gets better. I feel like mine leveled out on mileage in around ~15K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Won't driving in tow/haul mode increase my rpm's hence lower my mpg even more?

Higher rpm doesn't always equal lower mpg. Think about it this way, if the truck is operating right at its torque curve it'll take less effort for it to move. But if it's operating 500 rpm under the torque curve, it'll be lugging along and when you do need power it'll downshift into much higher rpms then being one gear lower than you should be, it'll drop two gears. Now this doesn't go to say it won't be worse. Mine has got slightly worse but with the bigger tires it helps. You mentioned power so that's why I mentioned tow/haul mode, not necessarily for mpg

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don't believe it

I hate to break it to you, but there is no magic light switch at least in my case. I drive it 9 miles to work with about 6 stop lights and 6 miles of freeway, around town on the weekends, and have towed 5-8k lbs for a few thousand miles. It's got 22k miles on it and average over two years is only a little better than 10. It ain't magically going to get better. I like the truck just fine but for the gas it guzzles it ought to at least have more power. For the same or similar configuration to turn in fuel numbers that are 25-30% different makes me wonder what's going on at the ram factory. Just from experience, if you don't like it now don't cross your fingers and hope it gets better. It won't.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hate to break it to you, but there is no magic light switch at least in my case. I drive it 9 miles to work with about 6 stop lights and 6 miles of freeway, around town on the weekends, and have towed 5-8k lbs for a few thousand miles. It's got 22k miles on it and average over two years is only a little better than 10. It ain't magically going to get better. I like the truck just fine but for the gas it guzzles it ought to at least have more power. For the same or similar configuration to turn in fuel numbers that are 25-30% different makes me wonder what's going on at the ram factory. Just from experience, if you don't like it now don't cross your fingers and hope it gets better. It won't.

Your truck gets **** mileage cause it's not even up to operating temp for very long, if at all. It won't matter what you drive, your mileage will be less based on your short trips. I'm not trying to overly defend the truck or 6.4, it gets pretty low city mpg, but short trips will kill any car truck engine out there as they run rich til at operating temp. Also, stop and go traffic will as well since you're stopped and using fuel.

As far as the "switch" it's been well documented on the performance and mpg on these engines for whatever that reason is, to perform better at certain point. Even an article out there on it. I bought my truck with 18k miles so I have nothing to compare it to to defend it more than that.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You're killing me. It's a gas motor it's up to temp before it even gets on the freeway. When I drive it to Oregon what's up then? Still not quite warm? The thing is a gas guzzler. There's no way in 22000 miles it hasn't warmed up. I drove a 99 CTD on the same route for years an averaged 16-17. Again, I still love the truck, but it seems everyone is just making up reasons to defend poor performance. Just like the wrist pin rattle that Ram says is normal. If there are no chunks of metal in the oil you're good to go. Mileage started ****** and has remained ******. Must just be my truck.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You're killing me. It's a gas motor it's up to temp before it even gets on the freeway. When I drive it to Oregon what's up then? Still not quite warm? The thing is a gas guzzler. There's no way in 22000 miles it hasn't warmed up. I drove a 99 CTD on the same route for years an averaged 16-17. Again, I still love the truck, but it seems everyone is just making up reasons to defend poor performance. Just like the wrist pin rattle that Ram says is normal. If there are no chunks of metal in the oil you're good to go. Mileage started ****** and has remained ******. Must just be my truck.

I was more referring to your daily trip. My 6.4 is not up to temp in 6 miles which is what you said before so just going off your words. It is a gas guzzler there's no doubt about it! But there's always a cause for that or everyone would get the same mileage. As far as the "waking up" thing, I can only share what others have said including an article, I have no experience directly with it. But if you're averaging 10mpg when majority of people are 12+, there's got to be a reason. Operating temp definitely plays a roll and it's not just the gauge on your dash, it's the entire system up to temp. Next trip go to your vehicle info and select it. Watch your temps for trans oil coolant and oil pressure and see what they say. After a 13 mile city drive mine usually gets up to temp in normal weather. Not a chance in 6.

Also, there's people like myself with 37s that are averaging higher and I drive with a heavy foot. I'm not the rule to mpg but it seems there's a few that are a good amount less than others. Weird but there's got to be a reason

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
6 miles? Not a chance that it's not warmed up. I've looked at all the temperatures a lot and it's not a matter of warming up . That said, take a rip for 60 miles in my unicorn and you get the same poor mileage. No switch in 22k miles and no comparison to the 17 year old doesel it replaces which by the way also was able to warm up on a 9 mile drive to work. Maybe two unicorns. It's a bit like the CTD guys all towing a 67 foot fifth wheel filled with lead ingots over a 16000 foot pass at 85mph. "Don't even know it's back there." Not my experience either.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
6 miles? Not a chance that it's not warmed up. I've looked at all the temperatures a lot and it's not a matter of warming up . That said, take a rip for 60 miles in my unicorn and you get the same poor mileage. No switch in 22k miles and no comparison to the 17 year old doesel it replaces which by the way also was able to warm up on a 9 mile drive to work. Maybe two unicorns. It's a bit like the CTD guys all towing a 67 foot fifth wheel filled with lead ingots over a 16000 foot pass at 85mph. "Don't even know it's back there." Not my experience either.

But what I was saying was your daily commute of 9 miles, is it up to temp? My truck stock in a 13.5 mile commute one way all city no faster than 60, was 12.3-12.8 depending on my foot. Not saying you're lying, just discussing possibilities

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It takes my 6.4, 4:10 truck a good 15 minutes driving for the transmission to get up to temp. Mileage increases slightly at that point as well.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My old 3/4 tons, 350, 360, 390, and 460's all averaged about 12 mpg highway doing 65-70 mph. I feel fortunate that my 6.4 does 16.96 on the same route. And its a hell of a lot more truck.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Glad you all like your trucks. I'll say YET again, I love mine too. If I could have gotten another 5.9 CTD without stupid emissions stuff I would have gone a different direction. My two points AGAIN: average over 22k miles (at least some of the time it might have warmed up) barely over 10. Not the teens everyone claims. Sucks.

And there's no way two motors off the same assembly line should be 30% different. I drove 1.5 miles to the tavern I'm sitting at and water was 206 oil 186 and transmission 140. Not completely warm but a far cry from the ridiculous pilgrimage some are claiming to get warm. Over two years trips to work are less than 5k miles of the total. Believe the warmed up thing if you want but again I don't think that has much to do with it. Diesel got 16-17. People wanna hear what they wanna hear.

The original post was simply my observations on mileage. Driven a ram for 20 years but I can still call em like I see em.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
get high 11's on my 16 6.4 with 15k

no matter how or where i drive - uphill or down.

additionally, the truck goes into closed loop pretty quickly compared to 90's fuel injected vehicles, so i dont buy the " warmed up " or not thesis.

love the truck

miss my 6 speed in my old retired 2002 cummins which is now a dumpster truck

my left foot is STILL trying to find the non existent clutch.

cheers comrades!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wasn't trying to argue and not saying anyone is wrong about their mileage, in sure that's what you're getting. I'm certainly not making up my numbers and I'm sure many of us posted aren't either. All I'm saying, there's got to be a reason, the temp theory was just that, a theory and to be honest, it's part of the story believe it or not, especially to keep emissions happy. Emissions tests your vehicle are operating temp for a reason. I don't have an answer why one motor is different from the next, I'm sure in the hell ain't getting an avg of 10 mpg even with 37s driving with a heavy foot.

I'm glad you guys still love your truck. I'm not trying to argue more so trying to give a solution to maybe try something different.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't trying to argue and not saying anyone is wrong about their mileage, in sure that's what you're getting. I'm certainly not making up my numbers and I'm sure many of us posted aren't either. All I'm saying, there's got to be a reason, the temp theory was just that, a theory and to be honest, it's part of the story believe it or not, especially to keep emissions happy. Emissions tests your vehicle are operating temp for a reason. I don't have an answer why one motor is different from the next, I'm sure in the hell ain't getting an avg of 10 mpg even with 37s driving with a heavy foot.

I'm glad you guys still love your truck. I'm not trying to argue more so trying to give a solution to maybe try something different.

I think it's mostly just different driving scenarios.. different conditions etc..

For instance, when i drive through town I can go a 1/4 -1/3 mile sometimes before I hit a stoplight, etc.. however someone else's "town" driving might be a stoplight every 75 yards etc as some are..and more hilly. So My town, is not your town and differences in mileage will reflect that..Differences in Elevation, temperature, tire pressure, etc.. all will make up differences as well. so Unless every one drives the same exact route, at the same exact time, with the same exact tire size and pressure, etc.. differences will be there.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agreed with that statement but I wouldn't think 2 mpg difference but again, what do I know!

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can get a Nearly 1 MPG difference in the same truck on the same routes between my wife and I driving it. Wife is definitely harder on fuel mileage than I am! The floorboard only serves to keep the gas pedal from resting on the frame..L

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can get a Nearly 1 MPG difference in the same truck on the same routes between my wife and I driving it. Wife is definitely harder on fuel mileage than I am! The floorboard only serves to keep the gas pedal from resting on the frame..L

That's why I'm wife has a 4 cylinder Audi that gets 27 city mpg! Girl can drive and every stop light is a drag race to as fast as she can!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Mine is even worse at a 2 mpg difference. In her car, I always get 4-5 mpg better than she does. Simple things like taking your foot off the gas as soon as you know you will have to stop can make a big difference. Using the downhill for acceleration, letting it lose 2-3 mph going up, and coasting when you can could make a huge difference on highway mileage.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's why I'm wife has a 4 cylinder Audi that gets 27 city mpg! Girl can drive and every stop light is a drag race to as fast as she can!

She likes big trucks, sadly I"M the one in the 4cyl Altima going to work every day while she has the truck with her.. She has a home office and it doesn't get driven every day that way, it sits several days a week. Think Ill steal it tomorrow, I haven't driven it since last Monday..L

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just want to add my two cents. I have a 2017 CC reg box with the 6.4 and I'm avg 10.3 and find this utterly frustrating!!! I had an 02 GMC with the 8.1L and got better gas mileage, not to mention way more power! I do not have many miles on the truck, less than 1500, but at this point I wish I could return this POS to the dealer. And of course I cannot add a programmer to help with fuel mileage as it will void my warranty. Maybe it will get better with added mileage but at this point the truck is parked and I drive our car because I'm tired of dumping money into the fuel tank. And just to add, I've only run 91 octane thru it. Any thoughts? Is this normal??
Change to running 89 or 87 octane, running 91 does nothing but make your wallet lighter. For someone who is so concerned about fuel mileage I don't get why you would waste your money on octane you can't use. You will probably see a slight mileage bump switching too.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk