180 degree T STAT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what exact brand and model # have you used?

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi AzCats, and anyone who might want to chime in...

I live in Northern Nevada and temps go beyond 105 degrees in the summertime, and we also have four seasons. Would a 180 be preferred, and if so, what can I expect in terms of benefits? Are we saying that since the engine will run cooler, over time it will gain longevity due to the high flow, lower temp design? I'm not sure how good the stock thermostat is - but anything that will do right by my truck is alright by me.

My only other concern would be normal operating temperature. Any issues with running too cool?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Maitai

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help? I hope I'm not being too repetitive...just thought I had a bit of a different situation living in a warmer climate. Thanks in advance.

Maitai

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I live in Northern Nevada and temps go beyond 105 degrees in the summertime, and we also have four seasons. Would a 180 be preferred, and if so, what can I expect in terms of benefits? Are we saying that since the engine will run cooler, over time it will gain longevity due to the high flow, lower temp design? I'm not sure how good the stock thermostat is - but anything that will do right by my truck is alright by me.

My only other concern would be normal operating temperature. Any issues with running too cool?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Maitai

That's the suggestion. Cooler engine=better performance and longevity

Mints

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Issa Hemi
Ive been toying with the idea of switching out my t-stat especially do deal with these Arizona summers. Certainly wouldnt hurt.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
If I am not mistaken you can run a faster tune with a 180 T-Stat, but I do not know that for ma fact ?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think your tuner can add a little timing if you change to a cooler thermostat. You can check with Sean at Hemifever or Matt at Moe's Performance.
Jay

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you to Ramitimer, Mints, Witch, and Pull Ya for your answers.

I do not have any kind of tuner chip as of yet - I'm working on some other stuff like switching to leather interior, etc. I'm going to reach out to Sean and see what he says - and Ramitimer, thank you for reinforcing the idea.

Many thanks guys,

Maitai

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you to Ramitimer, Mints, Witch, and Pull Ya for your answers.

I do not have any kind of tuner chip as of yet - I'm working on some other stuff like switching to leather interior, etc. I'm going to reach out to Sean and see what he says - and Ramitimer, thank you for reinforcing the idea.

Many thanks guys,

Maitai
You can run a 180 T-stat on an untuned truck with no issues. I ran around for a couple months with a 180 T-stat,before my truck was tuned,and my wifes untuned 2016 Challenger has been running around for a year now with no issues

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Maitai

Hey sorry I just saw your post. What year and model do you have? I run a 180T on my 2012 hemi without any issue before and after my tune. You should see lower temps and might see a difference in -1 MPG. Like the others said lower temps should mean happy engine.
Also, some have reported active shutter issues if you have that on your truck. See video.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Sean just added 180 Tstat in my Diablo T2 93 tune. I haven't installed the actual thermostat yet though. @AzCats that is a great public service announcement. Glad I have my 2010. That would suck if you missed that FYI.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,

2014 Ram 1500 SLT with 5.7 Hemi. I do not have active shutters on the grille.

AzCats: Are you saying I might see a decrease in MPG? Reason is the way you expressed it as "-1."

S0CAL: What do you mean he "added it," but it "hasn't been installed yet?" Do you mean the programming for your tuner? Sorry, I'm way noob when it comes to tuners...

I just like the idea of higher GPM flow and a cooler running engine. All the comments here seem to support that. Thanks guys, I'll share any other info I might get when Sean responds, but I'm pretty much sold on the idea.

Regards,

Maitai

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know the model #s for the duralast 180 t stats?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
S0CAL: What do you mean he "added it," but it "hasn't been installed yet?" Do you mean the programming for your tuner?

Maitai
Yessir

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't get it, are you saying your truck's engine regularly overheats? Or do you just want to put in a cooler t-stat because it'll make you 'feel' better that your truck is running cooler?

Car mfgrs do a lot of hot weather testing and engineering. There should be no problem handling NV weather ....millions of cars/trucks successfully do it every year. I've driven a lot in temps up to 119 degree with the A/C on all day, and never have had problems.

I would personally hesitate before doing it. If your engine is overheating, deal with whatever issues are causing that (plugged radiator, collapsing lower radiator hose, failing headgasket, etc).Otherwise you would be subjecting your engine to premature wear running outside of engineered temp range. Running cooler also leads to greater engine deposits.

Either way, good luck, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Fellas,

Jeepwalker: No overheat, but I do live in the desert and we get some of those high-degree days - I'm looking to make a big enough change without affecting performance in the other direction during wintertime. It might make me feel better, so I'm just pulling in all the scenarios either way. Thanks.

Maitai