180* Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read through several of the T-stat threads and wasn't able to find the answers I was looking for, sorry if this thread is redundant.

I don't plan on ever racing my truck, though I've added some mods for the occasional towing and overall efficiency. Is a 180* thermostat necessary or recommended? If so, can someone give me a quick how-to for the swap? I have limited automotive experience and would like to know what I'm getting into before taking on any additional mods. Will I need to purchase coolant for any that I lose during the swap?

Thanks in advance.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can catch the coolant. If not, buy a pre-mixed gallon of the appropriate coolant for our trucks.

The thermostat is on the front of the engine, passenger side. Hose from the radiator is going into it. You do not even need to disconnect the hose. Unbolt the 2 bolts and you will find the thermostat.

I would suggest getting a 180 thermostat from Autozone or your parts store to save a few bucks. Its Duralast part #4128. Itll work just as good as the Jet $35 thermostat for over $20 less.

As far as needing it? With your mods, Id go ahead and do it just change the electric fan turn on temp with your DS.

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Change the fan to what, 180*?

Anyone have pictures of what needs to be done for the swap?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The swap really isnt hard.... Open up your hood and look on the left side of the engine right in the front towards the top. There is a radiator hose going to a 2 bolt flanged housing. All you do is unbolt it and the thermostat is there. If you can install a throttle body, you can easily do a thermostat without an issue.

The housing/hose connection will be very close to your catch can.

Change the fan to 190-195. Im set to 192.

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, sounds like something I should be able to tackle.

You can catch the coolant. If not, buy a pre-mixed gallon of the appropriate coolant for our trucks.

As far as coolant goes, where would I get a gallon of the pre-mixed coolant? Dealer?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whoever stocks Zerex G-05. Get that stuff and make sure you dilute it 50/50 w/ distilled water. I got mine from O'Reilly. They did not have pre-mixed locally so Im not even sure they make it? Not sure on that but you can mix it yourself.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easy as putting on your shoes, really. Tighten bolts no more than 10ft-lbs. You're gonna need a gal of pre-mixed Mopar coolant, pt#68051212AB. It's a 5 year/100,000 mile coolant. If you mix anything else with the oem coolant you will shorten it's lifespan. Oh, don't forget the bleeder at 12 oclock position.

Last edited:

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Easy as putting on your shoes, really. Tighten bolts no more than 10ft-lbs. You're gonna need a gal of pre-mixed Mopar coolant, pt#68051212AB. It's a 5 year/100,000 mile coolant. If you mix anything else with the oem coolant you will shorten it's lifespan. Oh, don't forget the bleeder at 12 oclock position.

You can mix the OEM Mopar coolant as long as its HOAT. G-05 can be mixed just fine with OEM coolant.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Damn i didnt know you can get the hoat coolant from autozone or oreilys

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there any way to drain some of the coolant out of the system before removing the radiator hose and stock thermostat? I thought I had read that there is a valve of some sort, but I can't seem to find anything under the truck. I'd prefer to drain some of the coolant in a controlled fashion than have it gush out at me.

This is the correct coolant to use, right? http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/683065/00745?isPayInStoreOnlyStore=false

And this is the radiator hose I need to remove to get at the thermostat?
http://tinypic.com/r/o7un29/8

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I popped the hose off and some came out. I then used a flathead screwdriver and pryed the thermostat spring in so i could control how much coolant came out. That way when i popped the thermostat out i wouldnt be surprised with a bunch of coolant coming out.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
You can drain some of the coolant out from the radiator with the drain peacock.

I dont know about you guys but I had a hell of a time keeping that rubber gasket in place around the thermo.. It was a PITA.

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I popped the hose off and some came out. I then used a flathead screwdriver and pryed the thermostat spring in so i could control how much coolant came out. That way when i popped the thermostat out i wouldnt be surprised with a bunch of coolant coming out.

Good idea, I may try that.

You can drain some of the coolant out from the radiator with the drain peacock.

Where is the peacock located?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The peacock is probably out in the barn yard.

The peTcock is usually towards the bottom of the radiator.

Gotta love spellcheck.

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The peacock is probably out in the barn yard.

The peTcock is usually towards the bottom of the radiator.

Gotta love spellcheck.

Driver's side? Passenger side? Best accessed from underneath the truck I'm assuming? Sorry if these are silly questions, but I have very limited experience and would rather not drain the wrong thing.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driver's side? Passenger side? Best accessed from underneath the truck I'm assuming? Sorry if these are silly questions, but I have very limited experience and would rather not drain the wrong thing.

Pop the hood and take a look. The drain is located on the drivers side of the radiator at the bottom. Easier to get to from the bottom but if you reach down from the top, you won't get wet.

OP
OP
gsw_03

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pop the hood and take a look. The drain is located on the drivers side of the radiator at the bottom. Easier to get to from the bottom but if you reach down from the top, you won't get wet.

Will do. Thanks for the info. Too bad I can't find someone local who already knows how to do all this stuff...

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
You have to remove a plastic shield that is connected to the fan shroud to see the petcock.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Will do. Thanks for the info. Too bad I can't find someone local who already knows how to do all this stuff...

Your only 3 hours south, plus there's some good people right there in your town that would help if you asked.

If you get to OKC hit me up, I'll give you a hand.