1990 5.2 wacky speedo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamsofaking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA318
My truck can't figure out how fast its going. A consequence of that is that it doesn't know when to shift to overdrive. Makes a trip of any length on the freeway very not fun. In troubleshooting this issue, I've zeroed in on the speed control system. The manual keeps referring to a speed control servo. There is no such servo, though there is a 4-way connector for it. In the servos place are two wires that went into the cab. Said wires seemed to be disconnected, so I pulled them out to the engine compartment to have a closer look. At least one of the wires must have been attached to something, because now the truck doesn't charge anymore and I keep getting a code 41 from the computer. It seems that a previous owner deleted the cruise control and somehow fudged up something to make the computer think all was well, but I can't figure out what they did and looking at the wiring diagrams is making my head hurt. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here?

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 6